The Secret Lives of Garden Bees

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Feb 2020

Was I well informed about bees? Yes. Did I find myself with wild and knew factoids about bees? Absolutely. Am I now more passionate about bees? Yah, you betcha.
Being a keen gardener I'm interested in everything that is related to the gardens and this book was a great source of information about bees.
I learned a lot and I loved the style of writing and how well researched this book is.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
The Secret Lives of Garden Bees by author Jean Vernon is a wonderfully informative instructional guide for all you want to know about bees for your your garden. I had no idea there were so many species of bees and other insects which can mimic bees. The importance of bees for our gardens is imperative for pollination. The book is written in the UK, but knowledge concerning the protection and promotion of bees for gardening is universal.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book.
I’ve always loved bees of all kinds, and this is a great introduction to the many different species that are found in gardens in the UK. I enjoyed the lively, informal tone, which nonetheless conveyed plenty of information. Each species that might be in a garden is described, usually with a photograph, and practical tips on how to help them shared. Plants that are bee friendly are suggested. The author also includes a handy seasonal guide, with what bees are likely to be present, and what action to take at that time to encourage more bees. Further reading is suggested towards the end of the book, very useful if you’re wanting more information!

It’s lovely to see even a non-scientific (as the author herself defines it) book with proper references and an extensive index. This is so helpful when you want to look up specific information at a later date.

In conclusion, The Secret Life of Garden Bees is a fun and informative guide to the bees you might find in your garden, populated with beautiful photographs to help with identification. If you want to encourage more bees into your garden, and learn about them, I’d definitely recommend this book.

I was given a free copy of this book. My opinions are my own.
The Secret Lives of Garden Bees is a must-read for bee lovers and gardeners everywhere.  While it focuses on bees in the UK, the facts and information on protecting bees will be helpful for everyone.  The photography is fantastic and adds greatly to the well-written and informative text.