Cover Image: The First Sister

The First Sister

#The First Sister is a debut novel. Also a fantasy and mystery. By author # Linden A. Lewis a wonderful storyteller.
#Netgalley and #Gallery 📚 Books
Such a great book! I enjoyed reading this one so much! I highly recommend this book. Side note: the cover!!!!
Let's just start by saying I bought the second book in hardcover before even starting this one.

Space + sisterhood + soldiers + EVERYTHING. I knew I would love it,
When I first picked it up I was slow because I am a huge mood reader & my mood changed, but I picked up again and sped through it!

The connection between Lito and Hiro was incredibly intriguing and then the recordings gave it even more life. I was eating it up. I won't tell much in regards to these relations because spoilers, but fiiire!

Now the first sister - is so relatable. She has been taught to obey everything, but get put in a pickle on following the rules or rebel in her own way. The fight within is written well, but the girl can take some risks and I love it!
Saito Ren is a true badass from the jump with a soft side and truly that all

Just know there is action, attraction, science-y goodness, etc. Obsessed!
I just started First Sister. I gave it about 10 minutes. It’s another pseudo feminist story of how women lap up rewards for being good whores, in space.

May there never be another book written where our good whore loses her status and has to belittle and demean the other whores to claw back her self esteem.
In this story, we are following three main perspectives. Leto, who is a soldier for the Venus Government. A comfort woman known as the First Sister. And Hiro a disgraced soldier for Earth and Mars.

The most fascinating aspect of this story is the world building. In this world, humanity has been able to colonize Mars and Venus. Earth and Mars are constantly at war with Venus, who is more technologically advanced.

The history and the politics of this world are incredibly intricate and was the strongest aspect of the story. I had so much fun learning about the history of this world, and the technological advancements achieved by humanity. The story also heavily deals with religion. Politics and religion are inextricably intertwined, and it was fascinating to learn about. Because religion and politics play an important role within the story, it deals heavily with themes of political and religious corruption.

Unfortunately, the characters were the weakest part of the story for me. In terms of character development, it’s consistent throughout the story, and there isn’t anything particularly wrong. I just found them to be forgettable.
Overall, I think the story is just ok. While I found certain aspects of the story interesting, there isn’t anything about it that has me gripped. Unfortunately, I don’t think I’m the target audience for First Sister.
Loved this book, great entry to a series!
Not a great fan of scifi but this book changed mind. Thanks for approving me!
Wow what a captivating story. I stayed up way too late to finish it, I didn’t want to put it down. Definitely recommending!
Love this series! Just picked up book two! This is unlike anything else I've ever read and I can't wait to see where it goes.
I tried to start this a couple of times. I kept re-downloading it because I was really interested, but I could never fully get into it so I had to DNF it. I do think that I'll pick it up again at some point.
Trapped. That’s a word that I kept returning to while reading this adventure. An adventure in space. It is full of larger than life characters , with back stories of struggle and triumph. Here is a story that offers a look into different realms complete with rules and limitations. Once you are here you immerse yourself not unlike CS Lewis and Narnia.
I truly enjoyed the writing and world building of this novel. Often with sci-fi, books load up on world building so heavily out of the gate that for someone who isn't a constant reader of sci-fi, it's incredibly hard to keep up. However, in The First Sister, I found myself easily understanding the ins and outs of the world I was reading. Every scene was easy to visualize and immerse myself into, and this was helped by the way I grew attached to many of the characters and wanted to learn all I could about them.

If I have any critique, it would be that the last 20% of the book or so left me wishing that all of the themes present in this novel were examined even deeper. The pacing towards the end, as well as the ending in general, felt very surface level and not completely satisfying.
I wanted this to work for me so much. This really should be right up my alley. But it just failed to engage me on so many levels.
This sci fi follows the stories of First Sister, a member of a religious sect in the society that encompasses Mars and Earth. The sisters are forced into ‘blessing’ men during wartime, which they are in with the other planetary group of Mercury and Venus who are more technologically advanced and worship science. Lito is a member of an elite fighting squad for this group and is assigned to track down and eliminate his former partner, Hiro, who has apparently turned traitor.
The ideas, setting, and diversity in this book really is a powerful draw and SHOULD have been enough for me to enjoy it but…
This book felt unedited. I know this makes me sound like a grammar stickler but really its almost never a problem for me. I never notice syntax and grammar and whatever. I mean, look how I write. Its barely strung together sentences! But I could pick up this book at almost any random page and feel like I would see a clunky sentence. I found myself rereading sentences to understand exactly what it was saying. This obviously created a flow problem for me and was super frustrating. I think this was the biggest snag for me and obviously affected my enjoyment for the entire book. If you don’t mind how its written its other sins might be more easily glossed over.
I had a problem with the story telling. We get multiple perspectives which I am not a general fan of anyways. One of the perspectives is from Hiro and is supposedly a recording they left for their partner Lito. Lito listens to this as the story progresses. Except…as a recording it makes zero sense. Hiro speaks in a way that makes absolutely no sense, recapping entire scenes in detail that Lito was there for.  It seems as if Lito is listening along with us as we go along with the story but then near the end, he makes it clear that he had knowledge from the next ‘recording’ that we just read when he had ZERO time to actually listen to it. So did he listen ahead? Does he have more knowledge than we do? But then that doesn’t make any sense because he is still asking questions in the last few chapters that he would have known if he listened to the next chapter. I was totally lost.
The multiple perspectives dilutes the story as well. I feel like it should have picked a character to focus and develop because the splitting our time lead to both of them feeling like half a person. Both stories are theoretically interesting and compelling but neither got the focus they needed to be built up correctly. First Sister and Saito Ren’s relationship especially felt underdeveloped and like something that just happened.
Some plot points seem to fully rely on the main characters or villains being stupid in order for them to occur.  Which is never really fun.
Overall, this was disappointing but maybe others can enjoy it more than I did? The writing was really jarring for me and totally made everything feel sluggish in the story. The world building and character concepts were really cool though so it got me through the whole book.
The first time I read this book was actually outside of NetGalley, but I loved it so much, I decided to hype it up here. See, the thing is when it comes to science fiction, you never see more than the white man's gaze because the male-dominated platform makes everything an expected series. While there are aspects of "First Sister" that we're bound to see before, it's to not that Lewis brings a lot of diversity with BIPOC and LGBTQIA+.

I've been pushing the "First Sister" agenda since I got my hands on it last year and was so privileged to have finished reading it before the release of "Second Rebel" (which is still sitting on my desk about to make me cry). Lewis brings to life the intricate perspectives and timelines to intercede and connect with ease. Their storytelling abilities legitimately makes it feel like you can envision everything within this vast world and the rich laws, politics, and religious attributes that makes "First Sister" what it is.
This is a fascinating amalgam and interplay of power and conflict twisted by religion that's based on holy comfort women and race that has been altered to better fit a specific environment.  The conflicts play out over power and control using religion and  technology.  It is a space opera with interesting character development and plot twists that come together for both a satisfying ending as well as leaving you with tantalizing hints about the next book in the series.  All in all an excellent read.
This book is a JOURNEY.

It has intense politics, strong relationships between characters, deep backstories, twists and turns like you wouldn't believe!

I often feel intimidated by adult sci-fi and fantasy, but whenever I read a book like this it encourages me to read more. The depth of the intrigue was incredible, and I want to keep reading books like this.

My one criticism is that the pacing was a bit uneven. It felt like we were building up and building up and then all of a sudden it was the climax and the book was over! I would like liked more hills and valleys than just the slow upward trajectory.
The first sister by Linden A Lewis is a handmaids tale meets sci-fi, with POC and queer characters. It follows the first sister, a mute girl who doesn’t know her own name and was forced into this life. She is what is called a priestess of the sisterhood. Her life consists of travelling with soldiers of Mars and Earth - but these soldiers also own her. In a attempt tp escape this lifestyle, she strikes a deal with a captain. This captain soon leaves her and she is on her own, with no friends or power. But when a new captain arrives-Saito Ren, the first sister is ordered to spy on them.

Lito val Lucius, is a elite soldier of Venus, he climbed his way up the ladder from living in the slums. Due to unfortunate cirumstances, Lito  is defeated by Saito Ren in battle and a consequence of this is Lito’s partner, Hiro going missing. However, Lito soon learns that Hiro is alive, and a traitor. Lito is now tasked to hunt his former partner down and kill him.

This book is different because it spins the handmaids tale element into a thriller-like story, making it very exciting, spinning between the different pov’s. But the author makes it work very well.

I highly recommend this! It took many unexpected turns, which i love in a book.
overall an excellent start to a new scifi trilogy, the characters are well developed, but I wish we got more background on the different cultures (ie: gean/icarii), we know why the gean hate tech and gene modification but where does the sisterhood come from?
a little annoyed that the non binary character ended up being forced to conform to gender stereotypes and gender rolls
The First Sister takes place centuries after the destruction of Earth, and focuses on the conflict between the Geans – who have colonised Mars and live in a military theocracy, priding themselves in keeping the ‘natural’ ways associated with Earth – and the Icarii – who have colonised Venus and Mercury and developed superior technology only available to them. I was hesitant to pick this up at first because Sci-Fi sometimes can confuse me, but I was riveted from the start. It's unique, interesting, and tense. The world is incredibly well developed, and I understand each character's motivations. Definitely one of the better sci fi books I've read this winter!
WHOA. I was immediately hit in the gut with this read. You feel so deeply for the characters. I was never a huge sci fi fan but this book has changed the game for me. I expect to hear a lot about it in the upcoming years!!
While I love sci-fi movies and tv shows, I have always had a hard time getting into sci-fi books. That's why this was such a pleasant surprise for me. This is a smart and engagingly written space opera that addresses gender, prejudice, political and religious corruption, and reclaiming bodily autonomy.

I did find that there were some pacing issues but overall it's extremely enjoyable. I'll be picking up the second book.