Cover Image: The Empire of Gold

The Empire of Gold

It took me a really long time to get through this series, and it truly was amazing. I was really excited to sit down and get through this conclusion -- it was slow to start with some extra telling vs showing that felt unnatural. The world-building in this series is by far one of my favorites, and I look forward to rereading again soon.
Okay, so it took me while to finally pick up this final book in the series. I enjoyed the first two books, but then once I put them down, I forgot what it was a liked about them (does that even make sense?). Needless to say, I fully intended to read this when it came out last summer, but that obviously didn’t happen. Oh well. I am so glad I finally picked up this third book in The Daevabad Trilogy, as it ended up being my favorite of the series!

I think one thing I really enjoyed about this third book was that we finally got out of the city of Daevabad a bit more. Nahri and Ali were transported to Cairo at the end of book two, and a good portion of the book is them back in Egypt, and then trying to make their way back home. They meet some interesting people along the way, some allies, some not.

I’ve always been an Ali fan, but I absolutely loved him in this book. He is this warrior who is a skilled fighter, but he is also so wholesome, which makes him such an interesting character to follow. I enjoyed seeing him and Nahri journey together, especially after the ups and downs of their relationships the previous two books. They have such a strong connection, and whether they necessarily like to admit it, they understand each other on such a deep level, much more than any other people in their lives.

I will say, I didn’t mind Dara in this book. I’ve never been a huge Dara fan, but I feel we got inside his head a bit more in this book, and combined with his history we learned from the other two books, I feel I understand him as a character more, which allowed me to sympathize with what his character has gone through. Don’t get me wrong though, I am still, and always will be, Team Ali!

There was just so much adventure in this book. We got to see so many new places, meet so many new people. I enjoyed the parts where we got to learn more about the Marid. There was a large portion of the book that had a big Pirates of the Caribbean vibe, and I was really digging it. I love stories involving pirates and the high seas, so I enjoyed that Chakraborty included that element in this third book.

I absolutely loved this book. So much more than I thought I would. Chakraborty has created such a rich, and colorful world, and this was the perfect ending to such an intriguing story.
I was so, so thrilled to get an advanced copy of this book. While the second half of the book lived up to the expectations of the first two, the first half of this book suffered some pacing issues. It also seemed as if the author was trying to explain why two characters got along so well (and had the potential to become romantic), rather than letting that happen organically.
It took me a looong time to read this book.. mainly because I was so scared at how it was going to like me lol but I loved ever second of it.. this was an amazing ending to an epic series!  One of my faves ever!
I cried through much I'd this book and I'll be forever grateful that it was even written. It has become one of my most recommended and beloved series. I have purchased and will continue to purchase copies for my friends. 10/10
This was harder for me to get into than the prior two in the series. It was good overall, but I found myself struggling at the beginning. The Daevabad trilogy is very unique in its construction and gives new knowledge of cultures that I may not ever have been exposed to otherwise.
THis is the third and final installment of the Daevebad Trilogy. I am sorry that this series is ending because I have enjoyed it so much, but it was a phenomenal ending. Chakraborty does a fantastic job of creating an amazing world where the reader can get lost in. The ending was everything I could have hoped for since it wraps up all of the drama that has unfolded throughout the series. This series is perfect for lovers of magic, fantasy, and historical fiction.
S.A. Chakraborty managed to create a concluding novel that brings so much new history and lore to her world, and yet manages to perfectly wrap up the story she had began to tell in The City of Brass. I truly could not believe how wonderful this series was This should be on the essentials list for readers.
A fantasticending book to a fantastic trilogy. People need to wake up for these books. They are amazing. I truly recommends.
I love the Daevabad trilogy so much, and The Empire of Gold was just mind-blowing. I didn't think anything could top the first book in the series, but this book absolutely did. Although this series is fairly popular, I don't think it's gotten the hype it deserves. This is one of my favorite series of all time, and I'm both happy and sad to have finished the third book, I don't want to spoil anything, but this book will undoubtedly make you both laugh and cry and the characters and the world will stay with you long after you finish reading. An absolutely amazing conclusion! (and a gorgeous cover!) 5/5 stars.
This series...THIS SERIES! I loved the first book, and it has been such an epic, wild ride from there! Such a fun read!
Empire of Gold was truly a perfect finale in my opinion, it expanded the world so beautifully, it answered all my questions and even a few new ones I never thought to ask. It had adventure and plot twists and character development, and everything else I could have wanted from this wonderfully whimisical fantasy series. The waythat Chakraborty is also able to naviagate discussions of the cyclical nature of war and violence, prejudice, etc., was really brillant for me. I think that this book was truly phenomenal and if I had to think of some flaws I'd say that at times the plot was a bit too convenient, and Chakraborty adds alot of new mythology in this book so it may feel overwhelming to some, but for me it wasn't an issue I enjoyed the way the story played out immensely.
Without spoiling anything I have one sentence that will perfectly describe this book. Chakraborty has wrote the perfect series, in book three there is new mythology entered but yet perfectly closes out a magical series. Put this on your TBR and your re-read pile!
An amazing conclusion to a fantastic series! This was everything the fans were hoping for and more! The pace was set right from the beginning and doesn't stop until the very end. The character arcs were real, developed, and engaging. I can't say enough about this book and this series. I'm only sorry that it ended!
S. A. Chakraborty has hit it out of the park again. The Empire of Gold is a fantastic conclusion to The Daevabad Trilogy.  She has managed to wrap up the storyline she created in this series, but add so much more.  I've enjoyed this series so much and can't wait to see what else we get from Ms. Chakraborty.
This was a very good read.  The world building was lush and vibrant. I loved the POCs and the perspectives.  It's always refreshing to read a story where the female isn't a damsel in distress.
This was such a great end to the Daevabad trilogy. Chakraborty's writing is one of the best I've read. I will be picking up any future works she chooses to write in the future.
I am left it awe by what I just read. Hands down, one of the best books I’ve read this year. It was everything I had hoped and expected it to be yet so unexpected at the same time.

I loved that we got to so see more of the world, outside of Daevabad. This book will break your heart and make you cry, but in the best and worst possible way. The whole book is such a rollercoaster ride. I haven’t been as shocked by a book in awhile but Empire of Gold is definitely a shocker. I’m so happy with the way Chakraborty wrapped things up. It was the best possible way things could’ve ended, in my opinion.

It was a fantastic end to a wonderful trilogy. My only complaint is that I would love to see more of what happens after the epilogue but that’s just me being greedy.

Thank you to HarperCollins and S. A. Chakraborty for the arc in exchange for an honest review.
The Daevabad trilogy rekindled my love for fantasy! However, while I enjoyed "The Empire of Gold," I will say it was my least favorite of the trilogy, mostly because it wrapped things up a little too neatly, with all of our main characters getting a good ending that negated most of their previous risk-taking and decision-making. With a plot that often dragged, a magic system that expanded beyond its rules, and characters that lost their nuance, I probably won't read "The Empire of Gold" again but I will continue to recommend this series and read Chakraborty's future work.
The Empire of Gold was the conclusion to the Daevabad trilogy. The finale was quite lengthy, but I was never bored. The plot is action packed and filled with twists.

I think all three narrators really got to shine in this final book. I don’t usually care for Dara’s chapters, but I even enjoyed his. Chakraborty fleshed out Dara’s character even more so in this final book, and I enjoyed the complexity of his character. Ali and Nahri were excellent as well. Their relationship has always been a standout in this series, and I enjoyed how it developed in The Empire of Gold.

I really loved how Chakraborty ended this trilogy. It all seemed as it should, and I was satisfied with how she resolved each of our narrators’ stories. I will eagerly await Chakraborty’s next project.