Cover Image: 20th Victim

20th Victim

Once again, James Patterson delivers another brilliant book. Although part of a series, can easily be read as a stand alone which is a bonus. A brilliant, fast paced thriller you can't put down!

My thanks to NetGalley and Random House UK for the opportunity to read and review honestly.
Paterson’s latest instalment of the Women’s Murder Club is interesting and one that I was interested to delve in after not reading for a number of years.

The Women’s Club seems to be going strong though as I haven’t read the series for about ten years and have lost touch with the series, it seems that the closeness is not as apparent as in the beginning of the series.

The writing style is a bit staccato but works within the main plotting.  Most of the chapters are in the third person except the odd chapter told in the first person.  This works overall though it can be a bit jarring at first.  The plot moves at a quick pace making this a real page turner and keeps the reader involved though the last few chapters seems to be quickly wrapped up to a head spinning turn.

The characters are very likable and although there is a sort of tightness with the characters they seemed to be a bit more fragmented than in previous books in the series.  Some of the characters do tend to blend and it sometimes they do get a little muddled but because easier to differentiate towards the end.

Overall, this is a very good page turner which kept me personally involved.  As it is 20th or more in the series, I am sure that if I kept with the series, I would probably have a little bit more to go on as far as the internal relationships of the main women.  The lead up is very interesting though found the conclusion a bit too quick and reliant on an easy wrap up.  If you are new to the series, not sure if this would be the one to start out with as the first in the series, had better development of the core characters but still a fun read overall.
I just love this series and all of the characters! This latest in the series continues with the fabuous bond betweeen the ladies of the club, in a fast paced novel, another page turner!

3 killings in 3 different States but all at the same time, precise shootings by a practised sniper?

Someone/s are targeting drug dealers, users, to try to clean up the streets and prevent more deaths by overdoses. Killings increase, and  also at the same time each member of the group are facing other life changing problems.

It's a great read, what next in store for the Women's Murder Club?
San Francisco Police Detective Lindsay Boxer and her colleagues investigate when a wealthy couple are found murdered in their home - killed by a single shot through a window. When a large cache of drugs are discovered, the victims no longer appear so innocent. When further execution-style killings occur over the States, all of known or suspected drug dealers, the team start to suspect a vigilante group could be operating.

An interesting storyline, whereby the usual premise of victims being good and the perpetrators evil, is turned on its head. Who needs protecting from whom?

My only complaint would be that at times I almost felt I should be reading 20th Victim in instalments. On several occasions there were reminders - ‘the gun safe Dave Channing had given us’, ‘Cindy’s boyfriend Rich’ - as if a while had passed since the earlier chapters had been read and so facts might have been forgotten. As an avid reader of James Patterson’s books, I never want to stop reading and so found the repetitions slightly irritating.

However, overall a good book to read, with a little moral dilemma thrown in for good measure!
20th Victim storyline basically centres around sniper attacks on apparently random individuals across the country. The timing and details of each attack is precise. Sergeant Lindsey Boxer and her partner Richie Conklin are investigating but can’t seem to catch a break and the body count is continually increasing.

I love most James Patterson book series and the Women’s Murder Club is one of my favourites. However I just thought this one was a bit disjointed in parts and too ‘busy’ with the main storyline and a couple of other minor ones that seemed to be thrown in just to keep some of the main characters involved. Indeed there were times when I had to go back to re-read a section as the story line seemed to ‘jump’ without you actually knowing how it got there - like a chunk of the story was missing.

There was also the matter of Sergeant Boxer leaving her sleeping child alone in the house while she went for a run or a walk in the moonlight! I was a bit concerned by this to be honest.

That being said it was an easy read with short, sharp chapters and it won’t put me off reading more of the same. I just wish that the magic from the first few books in the series could be recaptured.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an advanced read copy of this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.
Thank You to NetGalley and Random House UK, Cornerstone for this free ebook!!

When three murders in three different cities happen at the same time Sergeant Lindsay Boxer of SFPD takes the lead in trying to identify the shooters. As the casualty list expands, fear and fascination with this shocking spree provoke debate across the country.

James Patterson is one of my favourite authors and The Women's Murder Club is a series that I enjoy reading. In this installment of the series, the plot is good and the leading ladies are amazing as always but I felt something was missing.

Overall 20th Victim is a good read but the earlier books are slightly better so it didn't excite me much.
Thanks to Net Galley and Random House UK for an ARC of this book in exchange for a review.
James Patterson is one of my favourite authors although I much preferred his earlier books this is another book featuring the Woman’S Murder Club.
Short sharp chapters tempting the reader to keep reading, though sadly I wasn’t gripped by the story at all, it was like reading several different books at the same time.  A lot going on for all four women but I didn’t think the plots connected.
Sadly I think it’s time to kill off the Woman’s Murder Club.
James Patterson does it again!! The Women's Murder Club is the series that keeps me coming back for more. 1st to Die was the first 'adult' book I ever read growing up and I've had a love affair with this series and these women ever since.

As always, the plotline is well thought out, fantastically written and captivating. Our leading ladies are as fantastic as we remember them and as badass too!

This is another brilliant installment to an already fantastic series!
This is the first time I’ve read this author’s books but based on this it won’t be the last. Kept my interest from start to finish.
I love James Patterson's books and this did not disappoint.  I was gripped from the start and this was a real page turner following 3 separate stories that kept me intrigued and up until the small hours.  Keep up the good work.
Another good read from Patterson. I found this one a little harder to get into than others but still very enjoyable as usual
With thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the arc, which I have enjoyed reading.
I have read many James Patterson books over the years and one of my firm favourites has always been The Woman’s Murder Club. In book 20 of the series, 20th Victim is an excellent read, although may I tentatively suggest that the books are now getting  just a little bit predictable.
Recommended
I would like to thank Netgalley and Random House UK, Cornerstone for a review copy of 20th Victim, the twentieth novel to feature the San Francisco Woman’s Murder Club.

When three murders in three different cities happen at the same time Sergeant Lindsay Boxer of SFPD takes the lead in trying to identify the shooters. The victims turn out to be criminals and the killers vigilantes.

I enjoyed 20th Victim which is a non stop action fest with not only Lindsay and the shootings but her husband Joe investigating claims that his friend Dave’s father was murdered and the other characters having their own problems. It is an easy way to pass a few hours. The novel is told from various points of view with Lindsay giving her first person take on events and the other narratives in the third person. I think this is supposed to help the reader identify with Lindsay but it doesn’t dive deep enough into her character to be effective.

I’m not knocking the novel as it isn’t designed to be anything but a straightforward action thriller where characterisation takes a back seat to entertainment and set pieces, rather like a film. As such it does a good job. The plot is well enough done with lots of action and most of the strands coming together for a feel good finale. It is, however, superficial and glib. I like this series and will continue to read it as the novels are entertaining and require no serious thought.

20th Victim is a good read that I can recommend.
I really enjoy this series of books. This was an ok addition to the series but by no means as good as some of the others. I think the plot was maybe not as strong as some of the others
#20thVictim #NetGalley I love James Patterson  but this is the first I have read in this series. Whilst it can be and I did read as a standalone, a bit of background on the main characters would no doubt help. At first I found this confusing, there was so much happening with different people I had to keep backtracking to understand where I was up to. It may be because it was an ARC but the bios at the start of the book were all jumbled up and no help to me!  Once I understood the characters the book became far more interesting.  As well as the main storyline there were lots of little sub storylines from all the main characters to keep up the interest and keep me turning the pages.  I did find it a little concerning that Boxer appeared to leave her young daughter alone in the house whilst she went for a midnight walk with her husband and dog but other than that a really good read as to be expected from James Patterson!
Typical a James Patterson. Totally gripping and a real page turner. Couldn’t put it down.

I love the fact that the main characters are women who are trying to juggle home life and work life, while still solving murders.
I have read all the books in the women's murder club series and love all of their characters. This one does not disappoint and is a page turner as is all the others. I will highly recommend this series.
I was sent this book in return for an honest review.  Thank you to Netgalley and Random House UK.

I must start by saying that I have read James Patterson for over 20 years and have rarely been disappointed in a book.

This book was great from start to finish and I love how the characters have evolved over the course of the series (although some are no longer ‘with’ us)

One thing that did bother me was that Lindsey, a police officer, seemed to leave her child home alone on at least 2 occasions. Which seemed odd and a concerning thing to normalise in a book. I am hoping it is just a misstep in the writing.

I do feel that the series is becoming a little bit stagnant but I have been reading these for a long time.

Overall a good book but I’m not sure I would rush to buy the next one.

I also realised that I missed reading book 19 which may be why I was a bit confused in my timeline from memory.
‘20th Victim’ is the 20th novel in the ever popular detective series by James Patterson. Patterson started the series in 2001 with the title ‘1st to Die’. I recall reading this first book and being excited that the major mystery/detective series, lead by women (!) was being launched by Patterson. I believed that having such a prolific and commerical author could only ensure the success of the series – no harm to have a group of women leading a series!
Now, while I have not read every book in the series, I have followed the majority of Lindsay and co’s adventures. It is not necessary to have read any of the preceding novels in order to read ‘20th Victim’ and this is definitely a draw for potential newcomers to the series.
This time around, our intrepid quad of ladies (Lindsay Boxer, Cindy Thomas, Claire Washburn and Yuki Castellano) are facing a dangerous group of trained shooters who are taking by possible drug dealers one by one. During an online discussion with Cindy, the shooter provides his manifesto and receives the support of the general public, especially when the shootings move from San Francisco to the east coast. With public support in favour of the shooters, dealers dying and no clues, can our heroes save the day?
Admittedly, I do have a soft spot for this series, but I must admit that this time around, the storyline did not engage me as much as I had expected. Enjoyable but I expect more excitement from our crime fighting gals and honestly, the side line of Joe’s story, was actually more interesting for me. Perhaps, after 20 novels it’s time to re-event the team so happened with the death of Jill and addition of Yuki. (Books 2 and 4).
I received an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.
This was a good story, although I didn't find it particularly compelling.  The characters all seemed a bit too good to be true, and the whole thing seemed a but formulaic.  It is a good read if you want to while away a few hours with an undemanding book.