Cover Image: Disability Visibility

Disability Visibility

This is a really compellingly written and arranged collection. The pieces are generally short but they are all uniquely voiced, offering a multifaceted perspective on disability. I don't think I've ever read an edited collection  that was this uniformly good.
I was impressed at the range of intersectional identities and experiences it represented. Such a necessary and important anthology!
This is a page turner of a book, packed with intersectional perspectives of people with disabilities. It is hard to choose my favorite essay from this stellar collection.

A few essays that resonated deeply with me were the author who publicly debated an ethicist who argued that people like her should never have been born, the NY transit essay, and the deaf prison inmate who did not get an ASL translator even for legal proceedings.

The deeply ableist practices in society can be invisible to able bodied and neurotypical individuals. This book educated me but at the same time entertained me. I highly recommend this book. Thanks to NetGalley for the free ebook copy in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This book is soo soo important.     I know that many people with disabilities feel unseen and unheard.  I, myself, am disabled.    And if i'm being honest, there is a real lack of representation for those with disabilities in the media.
This collection of essays was amazing.   Informative, fun, easy to read.
I'd recommend this book to anyone and everyone.

I'll definitely be looking out for other work by this author.
First of all, sorry for the delay caused in reading the books NetGallery sent me because I’m pregnant and things aren’t going well with me.

Anyhow, talking about the book I must say that it really is an impactful one. Every story gives an insightful into the life of those special ones. It is a must read for everyone. Some things can be felt if not endured.
This is a exemplary body of work that is critically important for everyone to read to understand what it means to be a disabled person.  As a disabled person who faces constant discrimination and hate I was pleased to read this for review. Thank you to the publisher, to Net Galley and to the author for making this available on Net Galley.

The author Alice Wong is a force in the disabled community. Alice Wong is a disabled activist, media maker, and research consultant based in San Francisco, California. She is the founder and director of the Disability Visibility Project, an online community dedicated to  amplifying disability media and culture. Alice is also the host and co-producer of the Disability Visibility podcast.  I highly recommend this podcast.  From 2013 to 2015, Alice served as a member of the National Council on Disability, a very prestigious  appointment indeed by President Barack Obama.  Her calling as a disability activist is brought forth understanding for our disabled community.

As I read this book I found myself nodding my head and agreeing with the stories.  I was captivated that people like me are out there having the same issues. This is the honest retelling of stories of various people with disabilities that means so much to all of our disabled community. . You are introduced to  the people behind their disabilities here. To their struggles and their efforts to live in a abelist world.  ( If you don't know what "Abelist" is then your obviously not disabled!) . I  as a disabled person was so grateful throughout this book to read these stories that resonated with me.

The people featured here have a variety of disabilities. I educated myself as well as identified with so many of their struggles. At the forefront of these stories is a Nation that discriminates and abuses the disabled and treats us as outcast of society.   We are 30  million strong yet we are outcast in America. I myself have been an outcast as I became disabled and suffered discrimination every time I step outside my own door.  I have been screamed at by disability stalkers hired to follow and harass me for over a decade. I have been screamed at by a woman in my post office for wearing braces and moving slowly.   So These inclusive stories resonated with me and  I thank all that contributed with their life stories and I thank the author for putting our stories in the forefront of  a society that prefers to look the other way. As disabled people we live a life of complete  isolation and are not used to being able to share our stories because abelist people don't care.  This is critical for everyone to read. If your not disabled it will behoove you to read this book for empathy and understanding to our disabled community.

It is a critical body of work that requires the readers full attention and when your done you will never dare discriminate against someone that is disabled again.  You will finish this book knowing that you now understand what it is to live as a disabled person in America .
I loved this book, and learned so much. Every story contained a unique perspective, many of which I had never considered before. I think everyone should read this book and all could learn something about the Disability community.
I want to start by saying that I learned so much from this book. This anthology was a great jumping-off point into discussing living with a disability in the  and has piqued my interest to learn more.

While I appreciated some essays more than others, I gained and recognized the value in them all.

As I continue striving to read more diversely, I will keep an eye on all the writers included moving forward.
A thoughtfully edited collection of essays from activists, authors, and everyday folks living with disabilities. This collection features writings from people with visible and invisible disabilities and covers a wide range of experiences and perspectives. The essays do not shy away from the challenges of living with disability in America, but they also do not shy away from joy either. Some of the essays have been previously published elsewhere, but bringing together this work in one anthology highlights the diversity of experiences. I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone and everyone - whether you have personally experienced living with disability or not, this collection goes to show that it is not a monolithic experience.
I can't think of a better way for someone to hear so many different perspectives in one place than to read an essay anthology.  In this case, editor Alice Wong compiled thoughts from 38 different writers.  There are controversial opinions that would lend themselves well to a book club discussion.  Since it would take a lot of time to find this many people with so many different experiences to chat with in real life, I appreciate getting the opportunity to hear what life is like for people I may never get the chance to encounter in the everyday.  What is it like to be deaf in prison?  Or to connect with a loved one when you cannot speak?  What is it like to be blind and to connect with a guide dog for the first time?   I would love to see this become a yearly anthology, or for there to be future volumes.
It is difficult to rate anthologies at the best of times, but because these stories/essays are deeply personal and important in their own right, I’m not going to rate this one as a whole. For the sake of NetGalley, I will give it a 4-star rating. I found the collection a bit uneven, with some essays better constructed and more impactful than others, but if you are interested in learning more about the experiences of disabled folks, this is a great place to start.
This is a fantastic collection of essays focusing on many issues surrounding people living with disabilities. Considering a large percentage of the population has one or more disabilities, it is disappointing that collections like this are not published more. Alice Wong brings together a mix of essays about physical and invisible disabilities, and just as the community is broad, this collection tackles many issues in formats such as blog posts, eulogies, and speeches. They touch on difficulties such as finding clothing, accessibility to public transportation, and violence. Also appreciated was the highlighting of BIPOC and queer individuals with disability.

Thank you to Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group and NetGalley for providing me this copy for reading and review.
This book is a compilation of essays by people with disabilities. It gives insight to the individual uniqueness of each person with disabilities and how their life is impacted in small ways as well as large ways because of their disability. As someone who loves reading about disabilities in both nonfiction and fictional settings, I throughly appreciated the diverse representation included in this book. While I did not agree with everything politically or spiritually mentioned throughout this book, I could at least discover what it's like for others to live with their disabilities and understand a bit more about who they are and how they're having meaningful, impactful lives in spite of and because of their disability.
This was such an important read. I appreciated the perspectives of people with lots of different experiences and disabilities. Able-bodied people (myself included) can often be very limited in our understanding of disability, accommodations, assistive devices, etc, and discussion of disability is often dominated by able-bodied people. So glad to have read diverse perspectives from people with disabilities.
What a wonderful book about the strength and vulnerability of the human spirit! This book was compiled of essays written by disabled people and it was a true eye-opener into what their worlds are like. I loved how so many of the writers mentioned that people think they don't enjoy life or should want cures, but that is not exactly how they feel about themselves or their lives. Many of the stories were uplifting to me and this book genuinely touched my heart.
Excellent book that I highly recommend. Gives you new insights and perspectives from voices that you don't typically think of or hear from in the disabled community.
Thank you @netgalley and Penguin Vintage Books for this ARC of @disability_visibility. What a fantastic anthology! As a person with a chronic illness I am so grateful to this collection of authors. The experiences that these authors recount are, by turn, heart wrenching, relatable, funny, educational and most importantly, deeply human. I was exposed to people whose lives are being lived in the shadows and I was confronted with my own ableism in spite of being disabled myself. We have so far to go towards equality for people with disabilities. I commit to doing the work necessary to amplify the voices of people with disabilities.
This is the book I wish existed when I was first diagnosed with my first (of many) chronic illnesses and became disabled. I have struggled over the years accepting my disabled identity and reading the stories of these amazing, diverse, and kickass disabled folx made me so proud to be a part of the disability community. Everyone needs a copy of this book on their shelves!!
This collection of deeply personal stories is a must read. I was drawn to this book because someone in my immediate family is disabled, and I really wanted an opportunity to learn more about the different aspects of being disabled through own voice, and maybe read the thoughts that aren't shared so freely. Because some things we rarely share openly, and sometimes those are the things that need the most attention..

This book was so informational and revealing to the ways that intersectionalism impacts the disabled community. Everyone needs to read this book. We must know how to better amplify the voices that need to be heard. Additionally, able-bodied people need to be aware of the ways ableism is so dominant in our culture. We need to take more notice. Inclusion matters on all aspects, and this is one that needs more attention.

So many essays in this collection stuck out to me. I am so thankful for the honesty and the vulnerability of the contributors being willing to share.

There were some stories that I skipped over due to the trigger warnings - and I am so incredibly thankful to the author for including that. It was extremely thoughtful.

I was given an eARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
I loved the introduction so much that I had to stop reading my Kindle ARC and order a paperback copy so I could mark it up. So naturally, the book was sold out everywhere and I had to wait for my bookstore to get more copies, but this book was well worth the wait. Each essay has content notes listed at the beginning, so while some essays may be difficult to read for some folks, I would recommend the book overall since you could easily skip over those essays. As a chronically ill person, this type of representation was incredible and much-needed. I will be recommending this book for a very long time.