Cover Image: CONSTABLE ON THE HILL

CONSTABLE ON THE HILL

I’ve seen a number of the Constable Nick books, by Nicholas Rhea, come out in e-book, so I was happy to be offered an ARC of this first title in the series by the publisher/NetGalley, in exchange for my honest review.

I enjoyed reading this book, although I’m not sure it really fits all that well in the murder mystery category where it seems to have been slotted.  I was expecting maybe something more like Rhys Bowen’s Evan Evans books – country village and cozy, but with a definite mystery to investigate.   But this book at least, seems to me to be more of a memoir, more like the James Herriot stories, with a series of little incidents to be dealt with.  I’m not sure if perhaps some of this is due to the fact that this is the first in the series, so there’s a lot of background to be dealt with, or if this is what all of the titles in the series are like.

With that said, I did quite like the book, and will probably try the next one in the series when I’m in the mood for something a little different than my normal mystery fare.  The one objection that I have is that, like a few other folks who have reviewed this book, I really didn’t like the incident with the dog. For me, 4 stars out of 5 is a really good ranking, and means I really do recommend the book.  (I try to reserve 5 stars for a very few absolute favorite books that I am going to read and then re-read again.)  So normally, I would have given this 4 stars without a thought.  But the dog incident made me lean towards 3 stars.   I wish I could have gone with 3 ½ stars, but in the end, I chalked some of it up to different times/different settings, and gave it the 4 stars.   But I have my fingers crossed that there won’t be anything similar in the next book!

And my thanks again to the publisher and NetGalley.
I was introduced to James Herriot quite early on thanks to an Aunt who had all the four omnibus editions. I saw that this book was on a similar line and decided to give it a shot. I have since found out that this was a very long-running series in Britain and even watched a clip or two. It looked quite good.
The biggest realisation I have had is that I like non-fiction to follow a timeline instead of being grouped in order of ‘type’ of occurrence. This book begins with Nicholas Rhea taking up a new post as a local constable. He moves into a new home with his wife and children and almost immediately jumps into the daily routine of his job. From that point, the chapters are grouped by occurrences. Animal shenanigans are lumped together, as are religious leaders doing their bit for unity in the town, and so on. Overall it was a quaint read, a look back at a time and place where things were done differently. I liked the read, but for the size of the book, it took me a while to read it entirely. The people have their own quirks and play different roles in the day to day of village/town happenings. It is not hard to like Constable Rhea, who is conscientious as well as a person who looks out for others.
I would recommend this to people who are familiar with the show without having read the book to draw comparisons.
I received an ARC thanks to NetGalley, but the review is entirely is based on my own reading experience.
This a collection of gentle stories based on the experiences of a rural British police officer. Some where mildly humorous and/or interesting, but not as much as the All Creatures Great and Small series. I would give it 3 1/2 stars.
This book was not for me. I gave it a good go but it felt very dated and slow. Unfortunately I did not connect to any of the characters and it was correctly likened to James Herriot which should have given me signs as I do not particularly enjoy that style. I am sure this book will be enjoyed by many but unfortunately was not to my personal preference.

Thank you for providing an advanced reader copy.
Cute and fun, light, and comfortable read. It is written like a conversation about interesting characters, and it can get a little boring after a while if you are not used to this kind of prose.
In Which We Meet Nick....
The very first in the Constable Nick series where Nick and family are first introduced to Aidensfield, North Yorkshire. Enjoyable storytelling with a likeable protagonist and a colourful cast of supporting characters. Relaxing reading laced with gentle humour.
I would say, this has been a mild engaging and entertaining tale.  Constable Rhea had an unusual Welcome from the villagers of his new close knit community, being tested with their local culture. He passed the first with flying colors and so initiated himself in the community. A relaxing read.
Fantastic find. I hadn’t realised this was based on the tv program. The book was well written and enjoyable. It was interesting. Good to read. Will look forward to the next instalment
Police constable Nick Rhea and his family move to the quaint village of Aidensfield, said to be one of the most beautiful spots in the country. Their home is perched high on the moor with a lovely view of the countryside. This cozy mystery is a delight to read! Constable Nick is always poised to help out anyone, no matter if it is a clever horse or an unclothed lady! I recommend this entertaining book to give you plenty of chuckles as well as hours of fun!
Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher.   I really enjoy this series of books about policing in the good old days (if you know what I mean) a good old fashioned mystery
I really had a difficult time with this book.  Just couldn’t get into the plot.  I received an arc from the publisher and this is my unbiased review.
Nicholas Rhea paints a wonderful picture of his quaint little town and the surrounding English countryside in Constable On The Hill.  With exquisite detail, he describes the town folk and their goings on.  I felt like I knew Sergeant Bairstow, Irresponsible John, Miss Fiona and the circus elephant!  This book has it all,  adventure, mystery, humor and a little drama thrown in for good measure!  I highly recommend Nicholas Rhea and Constable On The Hill!
Constable Nick Rhea moved with his wife Mary and their three small children to his new post in Aidensfield in North Yorkshire. The police house was high on a hill overlooking the moors, and the family were delighted with their new home. Nick was soon on the job, riding his motor bike around the district, checking on licenses, missing stock and lost dogs among other things. He met many and varied folk and had some interesting experiences. One of his colleagues, Sergeant Oscar Blaketon, was a mischievous though kindhearted soul and when the twinkle was in his eye, Nick learned to be wary. Nevertheless, he was caught out quite often and took it in good humour.

Constable on the Hill is the 1st in the Constable Nick Mystery series by Nicholas Rhea and I quite enjoyed it. Based on the author’s own experiences as a village constable, it is light and entertaining, showing the various anecdotes and innovative ways Nick and his colleagues solved any issues they came up against. Apparently, there was a TV series called Heartbeat that was inspired by these books, which was very popular. I haven’t seen or heard of it, living in Australia, but I can imagine it would run in a similar vein to the James Herriot series. Recommended.

With thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my digital ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.
This is the first in the series that inspired the 'Heartbeat' series.  A gentle tale of a less-stressful world in the Yorkshire Dales.  Nick Rhea is the local copper, and this tells of the characters he meets on his beat as he and his family settle into their new life.

Enjoyable, makes you smile and laugh, and is a joy to read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Joffe Books for allowing me access to the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Constable on the Hill by Nicholas Rhea is the first book in Constable Nick Mystery series.

We are introduced to Constable Nick and his family as the move to the North York Moors and his career as the village police officer starts. There he will meet an array of colorful characters and many stories just waiting to be told.

I found it very hard to read when he spoke the local dialect. It also felt more like a story of his life and work and not a police procedural as I was expecting.
There are many quirky characters and lovely and amusing stories about animals which were quite interesting.
I'm a fan of Nicholas Rhea's Constable and was more than happy to read this book.
It's heartwarming, well written and it made smile.
It's a good series and this is an excellent instalment.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
rural, England, law-enforcement, situational-humor, verbal-humor

What a wonderful read! Time ago in rural England the constable held a very different position than here in the 21st century. One man was responsible for an area and his designated housing and motorcycle were provided by the police. He and his family could be reposted at any time and the removal company would transport their belongings. The villages were often welcoming to the extent of bringing anonymous gifts of food but somewhat insular as are small town folk of anywhere who mistrusted those "not from around here". The tales are well told and humorous without offense. Good stories and good laughs that can be appreciated some forty years later by an American who grew up rural.
I requested and received a free ebook copy from Joffe Books via NetGalley. Thank you!
I went and bought a few others in the series because I liked this one so much!
This started out so charming, reminiscent of "All Creatures Great and Small," and I thought it would be a delightful relaxing feel-good read. Shortly in to the story, I began to notice a touch of preachiness...which progressed gradually to judginess. By the time we were up to the story of the lady who suffered from delusions, the narration that her delusions stemmed from being a s frustrated elderly virgin, the book was no longer whimsical. The beating of the (wrong) dog was another un-charming anecdote. Sadly tone-deaf for today's reader.
Really heartwarming read, this book puts a smile on your face. Overall really enjoyed this book, fun easy read.
A thoroughly enjoyable read but, I think, best as short reads rather than a longer stint. Each chapter makes a nice chunk. I've never seen the TV Series that was apparently based upon these books, not having a TV, but I can see how they would fit nicely with a series of programmes. The trails and tribulations of a young police constable and his family being thrown into rural Yorkshire in the 50s or 60s, not sure which, were hilarious. Archetypal characters maybe but they were real (and not that different from rural Warwickshire where I grew up). The farmer who installed electricity at great expense, bought his wife all of the fancy electrical goods (kettle, iron and the like!) then only used the light at the top of the landing.  We didn't get electricity until 1967 but then went wild - a fridge! Gentle policing, minimal crime and a lot of humour. Lots of common sense and ways round things that, sadly, could never happen these days when common sense is lacking and the protocols, procedures all too important. I'd be happy to read more but definitely in bite-sized bits over time. Thanks to NetGalley and Joffe Books for an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.