Cover Image: Jackie and Maria

Jackie and Maria

This Book was amazing!! New author to me. I could not put down! This has to be one of my favorite Historical books to date!
This books tells of Maria Callas' relationship with  Aristotle Onassis from the time of her meeting to the time of his death with a parallel story beginning with Jackie Kennedy's first pregnancy.  Although the title leads the reader to believe this is a story of Jackie and Maria, it was really the story of Aristotle and his one true love, Maria.

I found this to be an engaging story of Onassis and the two women.  It concurred with other accounts regarding his love affair with Maria and that Jackie married him for convenience, security and protection at a very difficult time in her life.  Good read for those who are intrigued by America's 'Camelot' era.
I enjoy reading about the Kennedy’s and Jacquline Kennedy. It made me want to get more biographies on her and find out more.
I really did not know much about these women prior to reading this book and found that they were both immensely fascinating women in their own right.  I like that the book was told in parallel form and offered clear glimpses of the time period as well.  I loved the emotion in the writing and am glad that the story was told in a way that was unbiased and just offered insight into the hearts and minds of the characters.  I will remember this book for quite some time and would love to read more from this author in the future.  Thanks for the ARC, NetGalley.
Thanks to William Morrow Books for my advanced copy. Excuse my whole I gush about Gill Pauls‘s newest book, Jackie and Maria.⁣ Gill Paul is quickly becoming an auto-buy author for me. I loved Another Woman’s Husband and The Lost Daughter, about the Windsors and Romanovs respectively. Paul’s take on a new dynasty, The Kennedys, is equally compelling.⁣
⁣
Most people know about Jackie’s life during her White House years, but hearing the tale of what caused her to marry Aristotle Onassis was fascinating. I loved the dual narrators of Jackie and Onassis’s long-time lover, opera singer Maria Callas.⁣ This might just be my favorite Historical Fiction of the year.
Obviously, this book is a fictionalized account of Aristotle Onassis and the two women who loved him.  However, if just a fraction of it is true, your heart goes out to Maria Callas (and Jackie, too).  Maria's story is compelling, and a glimpse into what life was like for the opera sensation during the height of her fame as well as her descent into a more relaxed existence.  The story is framed around these two women and their men - Onassis and Kennedy.  And how their reliance on those men and their failure to provide for them were the backbones of Jackie and Maria's lives and livelihoods - and how their persevered regardless.
i am learning to love historical fiction these days. so i really enjoyued this one. i love jackie o and she's amazing and this book was so excellent. definitely read this one immediately.
Tale of the parallel lives of two women, Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy and Maria Callas and one man, Aristotle Onassis told through the 50's - 70's. Great characters a bit melodramatic, but I would love to see this become a streaming series.

Thanks to Gill Paul, William Morrow and Net Galley for the digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I heard about this title from a book event put on by The Book Reporter. It sounded like such a creative look on the Kennedy life. I don't know the character of Maria that well, but if this is something that intrigues you it sounds like a great story. I personally didn't get around to reading it, but wish I had!
A captivating story about two incredible women Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy and Maria Callas. One man, Aristotle Onassis.

Jackie and Maria is a well-written historical book, you can tell Gill Paul did a very thorough research about the characters, I didn’t know who Maria Callas was prior to reading this book and I was able to get to know this powerful woman. A book about love, sacrifice, and betrayal, This is my first novel by Gill Paul and I really enjoyed it.Recommended
Great story of two people I did not know all that much about . Especially Maria Callas.  Quite a lot of scandals and secrets.  A really interesting story.  I highly recommend for book clubs!
this was a really interesting read, I really enjoyed going on this journey and liked the way Maria and Jackie came out in the book.
Wow. I really thought I liked Jackie O before reading this book. I, along with what I'm assuming is most Americans,  believed her to be a good person, but after reading this I'm not sure that I have the same level of respect. Why didn't she leave her cheating husband? I knew about JFK's multiple affairs, but reading about them in this way made me mad. Why was that okay? Why was she not a strong enough person to stand on her own? Instead, she ran straight into the arms of another wealthy man. Essentially, she wanted to be taken care of; the luxury that comes with being rich. I definitely lost some respect for her after this.

NOW, with all that being said; How much of this book was fictionalized to make the story readable, and how much was based on fact? Typically in historical fiction, especially about a real person, the author will list what was been dramatized and what is true. This book did not do that, so I have been doing my own digging. While I am not changing back to my former opinion of the former First Lady, I do understand that some parts were written using creative licensure, which is fine. I would just have liked a side note from the author saying, "HEY! I made this up! Don't spend two hours Googling," because, I totally did that. BUT--this speaks to the intimacy that I felt while reading through Maria and Jackie's perspectives. It all felt real, so I had to know if it was. It also led me to looking up the "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" scene on YouTube. I can't believe I've never seen that before.

I love Gill Paul and cannot wait for the next read! I received an advance copy. All thoughts are my own.
This one held so much promise, but I couldn't get into it and found it pretty boring. The writing style wasn't my favorite and I think the author didn't capture the captivating and enigmatic qualities of either woman in the story. DNF'd at 37%.
I received an #ARC of this book via #netgalley. Thank you for the opportunity to read it.
I was excited to read this historical fiction novel playing out over the 1950’s-1970’s between the lives of Maria Callas and Jackie Kennedy. Jackie Kennedy is an endless source of fascination to the American public. I even toured her family home in Newport when I was a kid. Her grace under pressure, style in the White House, and her air of mystique all make her a legendary American citizen. I only knew of Maria Callas as a famous singer of past. That is it. So this was a lot of new information for me. Oddly, I never even wondered how the famous First Lady became “Jackie O.”
This story closed many gaps in what I knew vs what I didn’t know. Both women were in love with men who didn’t know how to or care to properly love them back. Then they were in love (I don’t know if I would call it that) both with the richest man alive, Aristotle Onassis. The beginning of the book dragged a little for me. In the first 70 pages or so, I wasn’t sure if I was going to stick it out. I was having trouble relating to the two main characters. But I gave it one more chance, and I’m glad I did. It finally hooked me. What these women went through with the men they loved...and tragedies in their own lives too. This was a really good read. The kind of book when you finish it it propels you to go online and look at photos to see if your imagination had it right while reading. Really enjoyable and fascinating.
Jackie and Maria is such a fascinating historical fiction. I’m sure liberties were taken with the story, as it is fiction, but every story that I looked up was born of truth and so interesting. Obviously, everyone has heard of Jackie but I didn’t know Maria’s story. This was a fun and well-told story - thumbs up!
( received a complimentary e-book in exchange for review )

Set during a favorite time period of mine, I was easily drawn in to this story.  Found the writing provided an easy literary visit back in to the past.  The characters and storyline were in sync thru each chapter.  One of my favorite reads of 2020.
I loved this book. I was not familiar with the life of Maria Callas  and this historical fiction book was very entertaining. Two women both involved with Aristotle Onassis and their lives. The story spans over a long period of time and was very well done.  I listened to it on audio and the narration was fantastic.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for my advanced copy!!

I LOVED this book!!! I mean loved it!!! I didn’t know much about Jackie Kennedy other than she was married to JFK.  I still don’t know if I like her much....if she was just a victim of circumstance or just cold, but given what she went through very understandable. But I fell in love with Maria and did not know any of this love triangle. I felt such compassion for her.  I don’t know if this book is all factually true but it was beautifully written.

This definitely needs to be on your reading list!
I enjoyed this but didn’t love it.  An interesting story about Jackie Kennedy but didn’t totally align with my current interests.