Cover Image: The Heir Affair

The Heir Affair

Did not finish. I loved the first book, but found myself not really interested in the characters in this one. I think the first one could have been fine if it was left as a standalone.
3.0/5.0
Being that I read The Royal We when it first hit the shelves, I was surprised at how easily I dove back into the world of Bex and Nick. I'll start by saying The Royal We was a 5 star read for me, hands down. I was happy to reconnect with this world and characters. i enjoy the writing style and that each character is written so well that there is no "mushing together" of events/scenes and each character has their own unique strengths and weaknesses.  This book got 1 star because I knew I'd finish it, this book got 2 stars because I wanted to keep reading and star 3 was awarded for the likable character, interesting storyline and the way that miscarriage/infertility was portrayed in this book. Without providing any spoilers, consider that a big ole' content warning. As someone who has struggled with loss- I resonated with these events and in my opinion, it was done well.

What fell short?
Y'ALL ARE REALLY GOING TO DO FREDDIE LIKE THAT? Like I said earlier, spoiler-free but I did not agree with, like, or enjoy any aspect of Freddie's storyline in this book. He is one of my favorite characters and this is not what I wanted/envisioned for him.
Additionally, the pacing felt a bit off for me- I felt like we needed less of what we were given upfront and more of what were denied towards the end.

Recommendation: I am recommending this book only because I want you to read The Royal We.
Thank you Netgalley for a copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review.

The royals are back! The Heir Affair is the sequel to the fun romp, A Royal We. I enjoyed following the two royals who have married and run away after a disaster at their public wedding in the first book. This novel was fun and brilliant with such humor. I always enjoy the comparisons to what is currently going on in the royal family as well.

Quick, light, and utterly royal.

Highly recommend for any fans of royalty.
After a scandalous secret turns their fairy-tale wedding into a nightmare, Rebecca “Bex” Porter and her husband Prince Nicholas are in self-imposed exile. Cutting themselves off from friends and family, and escaping the world’s judgmental eyes, feels like the best way to protect their fragile, all-consuming romance. But when a crisis forces the new Duke and Duchess back to London, the Band-Aid they’d placed over their problems starts to peel at the edges. Now, as old family secrets and new ones threaten to derail her new royal life, Bex has to face the emotional wreckage she and Nick left behind: with the Queen, with the world, and with Nick’s brother Freddie, whose sins may not be so easily forgotten — nor forgiven. review: The Royal We was such a hit that I’m always a little suspect of sequels, especially when it comes five years after the first book. The authors totally nailed it with this follow up book though! They brought us a totally new perspective of Bex and Nick’s relationship and there was certainly no shortage of Royal drama! I really enjoyed reading more about the characters and loved how well they were developed in this book. It felt like gathering with old friends again after some time away. This book was a bit of a slow build, but I really enjoyed this storyline and that the authors added in some “heavy” tragedies and scandals to the mix. This is a book that you can easily devour in a weekend, especially if you’re a Royal lover! rating: 4 out of 5 ⭐️
Unfortunately, The Heir Affair was very slow for me and I just couldn't get into it. I will definitely try picking it up again at a later date, as I really enjoyed The Royal We. This most definitely could be the case of struggling with certain genres during the pandemic more of a "it's me not you" reading scenario. Thank you to Grand Central Publishing for the gifted copy in exchange for an honest review.
𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘏𝘦𝘪𝘳 𝘈𝘧𝘧𝘢𝘪𝘳 wasn't as light and romantic as 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘙𝘰𝘺𝘢𝘭 𝘞𝘦. In fact, the sequel tackles some important, though heavy subjects that I wasn't expecting such as infertility, marriage struggles, and mental health. But I loved the way the authors handled it all, especially depression in men.

There were some twists that I was NOT expecting that made the book feel just as "juicy" as the first. I was nervous those big twists would have something to do with the above subjects, but it was fine.

This book is fantastic, although it could have been just as good being 100 pages shorter. I switched between the e-galley and audiobook throughout my reading experience, and I can say that I highly recommend the audio. The 1.65x speed is perfect.
The title of this book has many meanings as you read the entire book. Family is complicated if you aren’t a Royal and doubly as complicated if you are. Just ask Bex, Freddie and Nick who are entangled in their own scandal in the beginning of the book. I never doubted Bex’s love for Nick but I did think that Freddie was a bit in love with Bex because he really couldn’t have her, which meant it was easy for him.

I enjoyed seeing how Nick and Bex would come together to put the scandal on the back burner and become true partners.
The Heir Affair is a follow-up to The Royal We, and I think I enjoyed this one even more. This one has it all - fun characters, mystery, scandal, romance, and more. I would give this 3.5 stars.
The Heir Affair was one of my most anticipated 2020 reads. Unfortunately with a pandemic and seeing how members of the real royal family were treated by the press this year, I struggled to read it. I loved The Royal We and had such high hopes for this book. I will try it again at a later point, but for now it is a DNF
This was a really awesome sequel! I was a huge fan of The Royal We, which I reread in preparation for The Heir Affair, and ended up still loving, but liking less this time around. I liked The Heir Affair more, and while there were some plot points I was a little hesitant to get behind, the ending was great.
I am a huge royal lover, and The Royal We is probably my favorite royal read of all. That’s why The Heir Affair was an immediate pre-order for me. How could I not read the sequel? This book picks up immediately where the first leaves off – dealing with the same scandal and the fall-out over the disastrous royal wedding. As the newlyweds try to recalibrate their image, they also need to make amends to their royal family members. This book dove into some deeper topics, but I found it to be a wonderful follow-up. A true delight of a story and a perfect addition to the pool reads for summer 2020 list!
After reading The Royal We, I was so excited to see a follow up, and The Heir Affair delivered in the best way.  I enjoyed these characters, the “glimpse” at Royal life and what it takes to keep it secluded.  The writing is fun and I can’t wait for (hopefully) a third installment.
This second installment was just as captivating as the first! The first book in the series was more light-hearted and I read through it quickly. The Heir Affair is light hearted and funny at times, but also deals with some more difficult topics. Highly recommend for fans of The Crown or rom coms.
I enjoyed picking up with these characters again and exploring new dynamics--in particular, Bex's relationship with the Queen. A very fun and engaging book.
Super satisfying sequel to The Royal We, a book I've been recommending for years.   Who can beat the winning combination of the monarchy and the Cubs??
Knowing that this book was being released caused me to read "The Royal We". It was fun reading both books in succession. The Heir Affair mirrored current headlines in the UK. The twins were also perfect foils for the princes. I will definitely recommend this pair of books. Hoping there is a third book in the series,
Unfortunately this one was very slow for me and I had such a hard time getting into it. I ended up DNF-ing. I will definitely try picking it up again at a later date, as I truly loved The Royal We. It may just have been this pandemic and my mood.
Well that Cinderella wedding didn’t exactly go as planned.  After a scandalous rumor turned her wedding into a nightmare, Rebecca “Bex” Porter and her husband Prince Nicholas, escaped under cover to wait out the scandal and attempt a semi-normal honeymoon. When duty forces this new Duke and Duchess back into England, they find there are even more scandals left to uncover. So much for happily ever after...

While drama and intrigue keep the reader interested, I actually find the character development and more mundane moments the real winners of this book and series. I truly appreciate how Cocks and Morgan pace these stories to allow for humor and humanity amidst the regalia and suspense. From watching baseball with the Queen, to a heart wrenchingly honest discussion of infertility issues,  to sneaking into a baking competition in terrible wigs, it’s the warm moments amidst friends and families that had me rooting for these royals.
I loved The Royal We when I read it a few years ago and I was patiently waiting for this sequel! I loved it so much! The story begins right were it left off after the wedding of Bex and Nick. They are on their honeymoon away from the paparazzi when they are beckon back to royal life because the queen has had a stroke.
The book mostly goes on about how Bex gets situated in royal life and how she tries to still have the life she wants despite always being in the public eye. I love reading about Bex, Nick and Freddie so much. They are the perfect trio win my opinion, although I did feel bad for Freddie because you can tell he still had feelings for Bex.
Overall, this was a perfect sequel to the first book and I hope that there is another book in the works!
I loved this sequel as much as the first book, maybe even more! There are times when I was laughing out loud, the dialogue is creative and witty. I also appreciated how the author delved into so many family issues, the relationship that developed between Bex and the queen was one of my favorites.