Cover Image: Lore

Lore

Intriguing enough to pick up the rest of the book. Ever since my obsession with PJO when I was a young teen, I've loved reading fanfiction of any mythology. Much of what I've found is very similar to one another but this book does promise a new twist on the genre.
I may have already guessed a plot twist coming later on in the book so I guess I'll have to keep reading to see.
4,5 stars.
Disclaimer: When it comes to Greek myth retellings., I'm very hard to please. Being Greek myself, I can always tell when an author has bothered to research at all — and this takes away from my enjoyment of the story. But Alexandra Bracken has taken the Greek myth and done something spectacularly new, intricate and interesting with it — not dissimilar to the way Neil Gaiman took Norse mythology and turned it into its head in American Gods. Lore is a fascinating character, the whole idea of Agon is super intriguing (although perhaps a bit convoluted to understand at first) and all the well-crafted details of this book make for a very satisfying read. Even to an old grumpy Greek like myself.
I can't. I can't with this book, it's so good! I've been talking about it to everyone who will listen from the second I started reading it, and it shouldn't be surprising to anyone who knows me but I found this to be probably one of my faves this year so far. Everyone's been throwing around the "Hunger Games but Greek mythology" tagline since it was published, but I don't think it's 100% accurate. There's too much to the Agon to consider it a trial like that, and the underlying factors here give me a very different vibe.

Lore is probably one of my favourite protagonists in years, though, someone who doesn't give up the fight just because she's outnumbered or outmanned. And honestly, we need more of that lately, there's way too big of a trend of female protags getting upset when they can't do One Thing and backing down. I'm not sure if this is going to be a series, and I honestly hope it isn't, but I'd take more of this cast if there's the writing desire there. Castor is pretty cool, and Miles and Evander played a way bigger role than I thought they would, or that I was expecting.

I'm definitely gonna go reread this at some point, probably with at least one of the people I talked into reading it while I was doing so myself. I was so interested in the concept that I didn't even realise I had the ARC and ended up buying a copy, if that says how much I loved this one. If I could give this higher than a 5/5 I would, I definitely recommend it if you're looking for a cool female lead adventure.
As soon as I started the first chapter of this book, I was obsessed.

Lore is a thrilling fantasy that keeps your attention on every page. I loved how brash Lore was, the exciting world building, and the adorable romance. Alex Bracken has written another hit, and I will forever read this author.
Novels exploring Greek myths have come into popularity again, and I for one am thrilled! However, this title assumes a baseline knowledge of the Greek myths and is not a classic retelling. You'll come across story lines and characters that may seem familiar along the way. This book contains a lot of different details and plot lines, including flashbacks about Lore's life before we meet her as she participated in the Agon. Lore is a strong and feisty protagonist, and I enjoyed following her throughout modern-day New York city. If you enjoyed the Percy Jackson novels, but also liked the Dystopian themes of the Hunger Games or Divergent series, give Lore a try!
Lore puts you in so much thrill and excitement I forgot I was still loving in the real world. It's so cool that it is greek myth combined with the modern world. The tension and angst between Castor and Lore is impeccable! Very very sick of them to be so in love with each other and still hold grudges for one another. I would love to see more!!
This was an interesting sneak peek, but While overflowing with imagination and world building it all felt like too much and didn’t really make me want to continue with the story.
I was given a sneak peak of Lore, by Alexandra Bracken. This book has started out strong. There is some world building, but the pacing is still good and easy to understand. Even if you are not familiar with Mythology. I am very interested to see how this book ends. I have not finished this yet, but if it continues to proceed like it is, i will be giving it 5 stars.
Thanks to #Netgalley for providing me with an excerpt of this book before publication.

I have always loved reading Greek mythology (I mean, who doesn't) but I just couldn't fall into this one. I decided to wait until I read the whole book once I got my hands on it. When I did, I struggled through most of the book and ended up DNFing it. I love Alexandra Bracken's writing and that was not different in this book but I really do not know why I couldn't make my way through this book (personally I think was just my own fault because the story itself is very intriguing).

Briefly, this book is set in New York and the story takes placed during the Agon, a time when a number of gods who rebelled against Zeus are forced to walk the earth has us mere mortals. During this time, they have to try and stay safe because they are being hunted by children or descendant of powerful and old bloodlines who want to kill the gods and take their power for themselves. We follow Lore Perseus who after the death of her family during that last Agon, refused to take part and is in hiding. That is until she meets Athena and once again her childhood friend Castor.

I read one-third of the book and just had to give it a break. I would probably continue reading later when I am in a mythology craze.

I gave this book 2.3 out of 5 stars which is not a fair rating because I did not finish the book. But if you really love mythology and you want to reunite with the gods of olympus then this would be it.
This sampler was super compelling. The synopsis alone had me hooked, but this little taste definitely had me excited for more. I can't wait to see how the story develops and how the plot threads that have been laid end up developing.
I absolutely loved this book!
Lore is such a powerful and driven character. Her relationships with the people surrounding her were amazing. Miles is such strong but kind individual.
I loved the secondary characters and the plot
The CONCEPT of this book. the WORLD BUILDING. Wow. Love it. Obsessed. I actually picked up the full book very recently, so I'm hoping that I Love the rest of the story just as much. Lore is a really fascinating character and this truly is greek mythology in a way I've never seen it before
This book is perfect for all myth lovers. Perfect book of Gods and heroes seeking  Vengeance/revenge.
Every seven years is an Agon. The Agon is where the gods come back as mortal and are hunted. Whoever slays a god inherits the the gods power and becomes that god. Lore’s family had been slaughtered the last Agon. She has been hiding and during the next Agon two gods seek her out to help them because something is amiss. There is another god slaughtering other gods to try to win the Agon. Lore, her friends, and the gods must try to stop it before destruction happens.
Oh. My. Gosh. Lore was amazing. It’s definitely going to make my favorite books of 2021 once December comes. It had a ton of action in it, friendship, and a slow burn romance. There was a lot of twists and turns. I could not put this down. It was so good. I highly, highly recommend Lore.
This book has such a good premise! A modern telling of the Greek gods? Yes! A strong female protagonist? Yes! Set in New York with magic? Yes! I feel as if this book had a lot of potential, but there were a lot mistakes that were a little too glaring for me. It often became repetitive which made the plot seem to drag out until the end when things were wrapped up too fast. There were a lot of characters, main and side, that could have been fleshed out more and the overarching message was a little weak.
For those who are wanting to scratch their Percy Jackson itch, this is not it.. But it is an adventure that keeps moving and comes to. a definite conclusion.
What an interesting turn that the Gods are sent to earth to become mortal and have to survive or another will take their place. I am interested to see where this book will go
Absolutely loved this book. It was like Hunger Games but with Greek mythology. I loved all the characters, wouldn't have minded a bit more romance. But overall, a great read.
This one hurts me; it hurts me deeply.

As a Classicist, the way in which the gods are written and treated is upsetting -- especially having Zeus as a neutral-good kind of character? Look, interpretations between Classicists can differ...but none of us are putting Zeus anywhere near neutral-good.

Most upsetting, however, is the laziness with which Bracken writes her villain. He's a pedophilic rapist...and that's basically it. There is nothing else to his character. Sure, pedophilia and rape are inexcusable, but they shouldn't be the only things that hallmark your villain as a villain. That's just lazy, and makes the character flat.
So interesting and original. I really enjoyed this new take on Greek mythology. Will definitely recommend to friends and library patrons.
I received a short chapter sampler of Lore, and I was so hooked right away that I had to go out and get the hard copy in my hands immediately! I'm already loving the world Bracken has created here and I can't wait to see how Lore's story pans out.