Cover Image: You Had Me at Hola

You Had Me at Hola

An awesome story of rising Latinx TV stars falling in love while filming a new show based on a telenovela. I loved the insights into the industry and getting to know the characters and their families. I’m assuming the next books in the series are about the other Primas of Power, and I have a feeling they’re going to be pretty great.

This was one of my most-anticipated reads of the year and I'm so thrilled to say that I really enjoyed it! It can be a bit rare to find books with Puerto Rican main characters, so as a Nuyorican myself I was so excited to see Alexis Daria represent that experience through Jasmine and her family AND represent the experience of growing up on the island through Ashton and his family. I loved the way Daria seamlessly wove in the filming of "Carmen in Charge" with the action that was taking place off the set, and the show was so well-developed that it felt totally real (I'd marathon watch it for sure!) The romance felt a little quick, but it's more my personal preference for a slow burn than any lack of development on Daria's part, and I nevertheless did feel a realistic connection between the main characters and I know that readers who enjoy a good steamy scene will not be disappointed. Great discussions of being a Latinx creative and performer are also included. This is the perfect sweet, escapist read with a smart and well-written backbone to prop it up. Highly recommend!