Cover Image: No Offense

No Offense

This was a cute book. Very light hearted and a fun read.  Found myself skimming a bit though waiting for the action. I enjoyed the characters and their heated/enemies to lovers dynamic.
I read No Offense by Meg Cabot for free.  It is a light hearted romance with some minor sex between a children librarian and a sheriff.  The setting takes place on an island in the Keys.  The librarian finds an abandoned baby and calls the sheriff.  The sheriff has to find the baby's  mother and a thief.  The librarian then finds the mother.  There is misunderstanding between the sheriff and the librarian, but if course everything works out in the end.  It is not the best romance I read but it is a light hearted romance which was what I  needed at the time.
NO OFENSE
MEG CABOT

Loved and enjoyed this super cute rom-com between Molly the head children's librarian for the Little Bridge Island Public Library and Sheriff John Hartwell whose meet cute is surrounded by an abandoned baby in the library bathroom. A cute mystery plotline and adorable banter between our MCs that is super cute and romantic. This is a great escape read in between some heavy reads that I definitely needed. Had not read a Meg Cabot book before and glad to have been introduced to her writing in this cute romcom.
This was my second and last Meg Cabot book. It was going ok until the Red Cross Ball. Molly went from being afraid to speak to John to throwing her arms around him and kissing him, all this in the span of a few minutes. The characters are just very inconsistent. And, was it necessary to keep saying "Dylan Dakota, aka Lawrence Beckwith III" or constantly referring to Molly as "the librarian," and correcting people when they referred to John as Chief, instead of Sheriff?? And, the sex scene, why? It was just so out of the blue. I didn't like this one or No Judgments. Also, what librarian stores books in a bathroom???!?!??? NONE!!
How did I miss the first one in this series? I really enjoy Meg Cabot-she writes characters that are very real-flaws and all-I appreciate that in this book her characters didn't stew over imagined slights but actually acknowledged issues, apologized and moved on! What a refreshing thing to read about adults who act like adults.
Meg Cabot is a must read for me. This one has plenty of Meg Cabot’s charm as we travel to the fictional island of Little Bridge in the FL Keys. There is a little mystery, a sweet children’s librarian and a grumpy sheriff. Though I wasn’t sucked into the relationship between the librarian and the sheriff, the quirky townsfolk made it adorable and entertaining.
Meg Cabot is an automatic must-read for me. She is able to make the state of Florida a character in her novels, which is fantastic, and her characters are always quirky and fun, albeit imperfect. I loved this story, and the series, and hope to read more!
I so enjoyed the first book in the Little Bridge stories but this one not so much. I found it slow going and didn’t really relate to the romance between the librarian and the cop.  I hope other stories in this town are more engaging.
Molly has found her dream job in Little Bridge Island as the of head of children’s services in the local library. But, her dream soon gets disrupted when a newborn baby is found in the library bathroom. Not only is it distressing to find the poor baby abandoned, it also brings Sheriff John Hartwell to her door. Not only is he infuriating…he’s infuriatingly attractive as well. No man should look that good in a uniform. Especially when he’s being stubborn and unwilling to listen to her advice.

This year, I’ve had a bit of a rocky relationship with contemporary romance. There have certainly been some books in the genre that I have enjoyed but those have been overwhelmed by a slew of titles that have disappointed me. I thought I was very brave *pats self on back* to try out a new to me author, especially one who’s so beloved by so many people. So, what did I think about my first Meg Cabot book? What a lot of fun! It was was cute and funny, a gentle rom com with a lot of heart.

No Offense had a charming small town romance feel to it and was my favourite type of rom com, where instead of the author trying too hard to be funny there’s gentle humour was laced through the book. Although you may never have a big belly laugh you will always have a little grin on your face as you read.

This also had a mild, very mild, enemies to lovers trope. But, it was more like mild-annoyance-and-frustration-with-the-subject-of-my-attraction; calling them enemies was a bit of a stretch. But, watching them bicker was a lot of fun, especially when our grumpy sheriff was so desperately drawn to her…yet frustrated with her amateur sleuthing. Their romance may not have been fireworks and mad passion, but it did have a little heat and combined with the amount of fun I was having I really enjoyed their relationship.

This was actually the second book in the Little Bridge Island series, however, I can attest to to the fact that this can be read as a standalone because I haven’t read the first book – yet – and I didn’t even realise it was part of a series until I looked it up on Goodreads midway through the book. So, if you haven’t read the first book in the series and this one intrigues you, don’t hesitate to pick it up.

This was a light hearted romp that I thoroughly enjoyed, it may have even restored a little of my faith in the contemporary romance genre. If you want something light and quick to read, you won’t go wrong picking this one up.
No Offense is a fun read with characters you always want to read more about.  I hope Meg Cabot continues sharing stories about the people of Little Bridge.
Since I enjoyed the first book in this series so much, I was excited to read the sequel and actually enjoyed it more. Though the could be because as a librarian, I'm biased towards books that accurately portray the profession while still keeping things fun and entertaining.
This was the first adult title I've picked up by Meg Cabot and it was a typical fun romantic romp.  The two main characters, Molly and John, were likable enough and were able to carry the story sufficiently.  The smaller supporting characters brought some delightful and humorous extra flavor to the story as it cruised along as well.  John, the town sheriff, and Molly, the new local children's librarian, cross paths as they uncover the mystery of an abandoned baby found in the library bathroom.  Inevitably, this will lead to the usual romantic happenings along the way.  The setting of Little Bridge Island was quaint and provided a relaxing escape from reality.  Did some of the informational details in the story about side characters and town places seem to get thrown in abruptly for the sake of it?  Kind of.  Considering it's in a book series, I guess the author is trying to connect past and future characters together.  Did this community seem too good to be true? Kind of. Sometimes I felt it was described as being super small and quaint while other times it seemed like there were so many establishments being described that it surely had to be a bigger town.  But, granted, I didn't pick this book up for the realism.  I thought it would be a cute romance with a librarian.  And, that's what was given.

Ultimately, this was a cute, cozy romance with some extra spice in the romance department compared to your typical cozy romance in terms of more graphic scenes or references.  At least, in my view of the definition of cozy romance.  So, if you want a little more spice to your cozy romance reads, you might give this a try.  I gave it a 3 out of 5 stars.  Quick read, breezy escape from the world, it was alright.

I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me an eARC of this book.
I’ve read enough (DNF @ 82%)

I could’ve continued on since I only had about an hour left for the audio but I’m just so done with the constant back and forth. Also, thank GOD the author didn’t have me swooning over a cop, wouldn’t be very 2020 of me.

The romance *heavily* lacked, there was no angst or even any type of build up. It seemed forced and both characters just don’t do it for me. The cop, or whatever, was a douche, and the heroine’s personality was just “books”. Not in that “omg I feel so seen” type of way, but more in a “omg we get it, stop generalizing a whole damn community”

It does read fast, however, so it has that going for it, and a bit of a mysterious chase (that I will live comfortably not knowing how it ends tbh)

OH WELL
Meg Cabot continues to write these amazing rom-com novels, and this one does not disappoint. The characters were relatable, it was fast-moving, and the storyline ended happily. Cannot wait to read more in this series.
Such a cute and fun read! Perfect distraction in life right now. Really enjoyable characters and story and hard to put down!
I adore Meg Cabot but occasionally I come across one of her books that just isn't for me. This, unfortunately, was one of those books.
I do not like meg cabot as an adult author. I like her kids book series' but as an adult author it doesn't mesh well with me.
After Molly Montgomery breaks off her engagement, she leaves the life she knows in Colorado for a dream position as a children’s librarian at the Little Bridge Island Public Library. During an ill-fated cookie decorating program, Molly finds an abandoned baby in the library’s restroom. This brings her face-to-face with recently divorced sheriff, John Hartwell. The two immediately clash over the situation and thus begins their rivalry.

This book is the second book in the Little Bridge Island series, but I would consider it more of a companion novel. Although the book references some events from the previous book, readers don’t need to read No Judgments before reading No Offense.

As a librarian, I wanted to point out a couple of issues I had with the book. First, Molly’s title in this book is Children’s Media Specialist. This may be different in Florida, but where I live, the Media Specialist title means that the librarian works in a school library, not a public library. Molly’s job title would be Children’s Librarian, Head of Youth Services, or something of that nature. Second, while it is also true that many librarians have MLS/MLIS degrees, states have different standards for libraries of different sizes. A final complaint I would like to address with the librarian representation is Molly’s social media usage. After the residents of Little Bridge Island start to discuss the situation with the abandoned baby on the island’s Facebook gossip page, Molly sees it as her right and responsibility to comment on the rumors. She even goes far enough to name the baby Aphrodite. To me, that is completely unprofessional. Patrons have a right to privacy, even if they are infants. It is one thing to involve local authorities when problems arise, but participating in Facebook discourse crosses a line.

I also felt like the love interest, John, could be a bit of a misogynist at times. The chapters alternate between Molly and John’s perspectives and it’s hard to see how the two fell in love at all. They had zero chemistry and were forced together to fit the plot. The enemies-to-lovers trope is one that I enjoy, but I didn’t feel like it was executed well in this book. The same trope wasn’t executed particularly well in No Judgments, either.

This book is a quick and easy read, but these elements simply didn’t work for me. I still love so many of Meg Cabot’s other books that I will always give them a shot, but I think I am done with the Little Bridge Island series.
No Offense by Meg Cabot is part of a wonderful series. However, this novel can be read alone. The story is about a new children's librarian and the small-town sheriff sharing a strong attraction to each other. But they are on opposite grounds and they butt heads. I loved following them as they dealt with the mystery laid in their hands while trying to handle their blossoming romance. Funny, quirky, and engaging this was a fun read. A contemporary romance that held all the right elements. Overall, Molly and John are charming characters who lured me deeper into their story.
This was a really sweet meet cute story. I love any story where the main character is a librarian, and this one is no exception. When Molly finds an abandoned baby in her library's restroom, she has to call sheriff John to come investigate. What starts as some argumentative tension between the two because of differing philosophies, turns into a sweet love story with a "saves the day" happy ending. A quick fun read, and one that I would recommend!