Cover Image: A Rhythm of Prayer

A Rhythm of Prayer

This collection of prayers was beautiful, challenging, and holy. Many brought me to tears, several made me uncomfortable, and all made me grateful that the authors would share them with the world. This is not your average prayer book, instead it has deep laments, sacred wondering, and glimmers of hope in the wilderness. I look forward to going back and reading these prayers slowly and I imagine this will be an essential resource for years to come.
Sarah Bessey is one of my favorite people. One time she shared a review of mine and I cried. But this book compiled and edited by her is gold. So many perspectives on prayer that I feel like are important for our minds to get that prayer isn't just "dear God, thank you for xyz...." It's so much more.
I have savored every word of this book. I’ve gone back over most of the prayers at least twice already. I have fallen asleep listening to the audiobook multiple times. (This is a good thing!)

(Also, is it any wonder I had a dream last night where Sarah Bessey was comforting me? 😂)

Anyway, do yourself a favor and read this book. Buy it if you can, you’re going to want to come back to it again and again.
This collection of prayers and meditations by women leaders, speakers, pastors, writers, and creators. from all over the world.

Each entry has its own flavor and personality as unique as the individual women who wrote them. Yet each voice is part of a larger chorus echoing the truths of the faith: that God is closer than your breath and constantly revealing Himself.

I think every reader will find something to identify with in this collection as well as new perspectives that challenge our ideas of faith, spirituality, and prayer. In the past five years or so, I personally have found it powerful and meaningful to borrow the prayers of others when I don't have the words. This collection provides so many different kinds of prayer, and I know it's one I will be coming back to time and again.

Thanks to #Netgalley and #ConvergentBooks for the ARC! #ARhythmofPrayer
In our current world, people are incredibly disconnected from each other and many have fallen out of the habit of praying. This book starts with an introduction providing the reader some background on the editor's relationship with prayer and a brief overview of prayers included in the Bible. Ultimately, the book provides a compilation of prayers and encourages the reader to find time for prayer again. Each prayer is unique, and they are written by various female faith leaders with Bible passages woven in. Some prayers resonated with me more than others, but I found that I still appreciated the variety provided. In particular, I appreciated Sarah Bessey's inclusion of diverse perspectives, and the relevance of these prayers for the situations we currently face. These prayers can easily be used independently at home or they could be included in liturgy during worship.
Y’all. This book— a collection of prayers compiled by Sarah Bessey—is giving me LIFE.  I don’t remember the last time I just wept reading a Christian book. (Oh, just kidding. This book is powerful. Some of the prayers are by Sarah Bessey herself, along with a wealth of other Christian writers and teachers. I don’t agree with every single thing Sarah Bessey says, but gosh, I love that she has a heart for Jesus, and when I’m feeling so worn down by this world and other believers, her words are a BALM. Just reading her introduction was like God putting medicine on wounds that I didn’t realize hadn’t ever healed. I was very graciously given an e-ARC of this book by the publisher, which officially releases on February 9, and I highly recommend you get a copy for yourself. I am asking for a print copy for my birthday because I have already made notes all over my Kindle copy. Bessey has gathered authors from all sorts of life circumstances and perspectives that make this book a timely and needed read for 2021.
An absolutely gorgeous collection of prayers that speak to the complexity amd tenacity of faith. I have been so blessed by the words within these pages, and know that I will turn to them over and over again. I will give this book as a gift to those I love and will buy a finished copy for myself, too. I can't recommend it highly enough!
I had forgotten that Sarah Bessey is a progressive Christian writer, so I apologize for requesting this book.  But I cannot, in good faith, give good reviews about this book.  While it is well written and a beautiful cover, I do not agree with the theology of Bessey and disagree with her biblically on many many points.  Out of respect for the writer and publisher, I will not share a negative review on Amazon or Goodreads.  All honest opinions are put here and no where else.
The balm we all needed for our souls in 2021. Even as an atheist I found the prayers insightful, full of empathy and meditative. I found the words of Sarah Bessey who has always had a clear and calming style, beautiful and the diverse group of contributors were exactly what is needed of the faith community today even for those of us who don’t pray. Well done.
While I’m not familiar with every one of these authors I’m familiar with many of them and this collection is such a blessing.  Sometimes I laughed. Sometimes I cried. But always I found myself with new ideas about how to pray and hope in turning to the divine as I go through each day.

Highly recommend for anyone who is struggling with feeling on the outskirts of Christianity right now and looking for words to reach out in a variety of emotional states.
This beautifully curated and presentation of prayers by dynamic women is both a gorgeous book on honest prayer as well as a glimpse at some wonderful thinkers and leaders on faith. I am already on my second read through the book. The first one was merely a quick pass through the book. Now I'm spending time with each prayer - savoring it, praying it, and in one case so far I'm even writing my own prayer in response.

This collection honestly confronts hard issues in a way that God welcomes.
I'm used to prayer books that you pick up and put down, read a few prayers or read one in the morning, but this book is so much more. It's not a daily devotional, it is a collection of prayers, meditations, scripture, confessions, and insight from some of many of the well know women theology writers.

I read the book in one sitting, hungry for the next experience. Sarah Bessey has organized the book into 3 sections that exemplify my own experience--Orientation, Disorientation, and Reorientation--as I continually cycle from getting my footing, to questioning, to returning to my foundation.

When I was leading youth groups, I wish I had had Amena Brown's "She Said, 'How Do You Know When You Are Hearing From God?'" prayer when I struggled to answer that question.

When I need to remember how easy and fulfilling prayer can be, I'll re-read Osheta Moore's "Reconciliation Soup."

When I need a reminder of the extremes our minds and emotions can take us, I'll re-read Alia Joy's powerfully honest "The Foolishness of a Kingdom."

When I need to be reminded of struggles that I need understand better, I'll re-read "Prayer of a Weary Black Woman."

When I get into discussions about my faith leading me to work for social justice, I'll re-read "Examen Your Politics" by Nish Weiseth, and remember, "When we are formed into the image of Jesus for the sake of others, only then will we have a politics that is formed by our faith, rather than the other way around."

And as I reorient myself, needing to find my way back to prayer and my foundation, I'll read Bessey "A Benedicion" and remember "The truth of our belovedness..."

This is a book I can go back to again and again and will recommend to ladies groups in my church that I meet with regularly.
A Rhythm of Prayer a book edited by Sarah Bessey is a collection of prayers and meditations that invites the reader to seek peace, solitude, and quiet through prayer. The collection is organized by topics such as direction, lack of direction, and how to find your direction. The prayers are both joyful, angry, peaceful, and sad, able to address every hope and fear you have. Many of these prayers have a literary tone with beautiful prose. It is easy to read and you can jump to a prayer that speaks to you.

One of my favorite prayers is “SHE SAID, “HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE HEARING FROM GOD?” by Amena Brown. It is a captivating passage with melodic writing, which is fitting with Brown's background as a spoken word poet. There is a rhythm to her writing and makes prayer a joyful, beautiful experience rather than rote and monotonous. Many of the other prayers included in this book are just as amazing and I highly recommend this for individuals wanting to strengthen their prayer life but with gorgeous language rather than repetitive prayers.

Many thanks to the publisher Convergent Books and Netgalley for the ARC in return for an honest review.
This is a beautiful cover. I found some of the prayers/meditations to be beautiful and some to be meh. It was just ok for me. I was hoping for more.
This book was a breath of fresh air that I didn’t even know I needed. This collection of short essays explores different aspects of prayer and every single one was relevant to me, where I am at this point in my life, and the current climate of the world around me. I can’t recommend this book enough to anyone on a spiritual journey.
What I liked: I was fortunate enough to get a digital ARC (advanced reader copy) of this book. Each morning, I’d make a cup of coffee, take a few cleansing breaths, and read a few before I started my day. The prayers vary - some are more traditional while others are more poetic. Some are soothing while others rage against unjust systems of oppression and those who uphold them. Some are guided while others read like essays. I needed them all.

What I didn’t like: Nothing. I will be rereading these prayers with regularity.

In conclusion: I’m going to be completely honest: my relationship with prayer is complicated. This book is dedicated to Rachel Held Evans, my favorite spiritual writer, who died unexpectedly almost two years ago. There were thousands of people praying for her recovery, but she still passed away. That experience sent me into a prayer wilderness. I didn’t know what prayer was or what to do with it. I still don’t. This book made me feel okay with that. I can lean on the prayers of these women while I wander in this wilderness.
A Rhythm of Prayer is a beautiful collection of prayers, poems, essays, and meditations, authored by a diverse group of writers, leaders, ministers, and activists, and edited my beloved Sarah Bessey. In a season that has often seemed relentlessly dark and heavy, this book was such a balm of truth and light. It is an invitation to acknowledge, connect with, and honor every part of your whole, messy, exhausted, wounded, and fully-loved self as you wonder and wander towards the Divine.

I enjoyed savoring these meditations slowly over the last month, and think A Rhythm of Prayer would make an excellent meditation or devotional resource for Lent. I read it on my Kindle, but could see it being a wonderful audiobook as well.
A breath of fresh soul-filling air. A collection of diverse voice that speak and connect me to God in a real, authentic, and vulnerable way. This is a book of prayers everyone should read and learn from. The wisdom, encouragement, and challenge is balanced in a way that leaves your weary soul filled with hope.
There are quotable prayers to steal when you're at a loss for words to pray. I'm jealous of the closeness to God and longing for prayer these women have - it's #goals for every person calling themselves Christians.

For the open-minded, for the one identifying with the "evolving faith" and "progressive christian" mindset, for the christians preoccupied with social issues and racial issues, for the one adhering to the "table laid for all, no matter the political or sexual orientation" mentality - this is a book they'd find confort in reading.
I will read and love anything Sarah Bessey puts her hands on and this was no exception. As she and the other contributors offer up examples of all the different forms prayer can take, they paint a picture of El-Roi - the God who sees. He sees all of us and loves all of us and there is room for all of us to talk to Him. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ #netgalley