Cover Image: A Rhythm of Prayer

A Rhythm of Prayer

The timing of this book could not be more perfect. It speaks to both the moment we're in and the years to come, drawing on both weariness and possibility with real talk instead of fluffy masking of aching hearts. Of particular note is Stephanie Tait's entry, "A Liturgy for Disability." The disabled are often ignored or implicitly excluded, as though their particular concerns for existing in this world are not of equal value for prayer. Amena Brown, Rev, Gail Song Bantum, Nadia Bolz Weber, Alia Joy, Chanequa Walker-Barnes, and several other names will be familiar to those who've attending the Evolving Faith Conference. Editor Bessey's own prayer, "A Prayer to Learn to Love the World Again" is medicine we could all use. This slim volume is full of vital wisdom and encouragement. Get your hands on a copy and soak it it.
Oh how we need this book in this time! Sarah has gathered an incredible collaboration of folks together for this beautiful book. It is full of prayers that address not only faith but issues there are not often spoken about enough in most churches. If you're a fan of Sarah's, Evolving Faith, or find yourself in the midst of deconstruction- this book is for you.
I have long loved Sarah’s writing so when I saw that she was editing/writing a book of prayers I knew I needed it during this time in our lives. I immediately pre-ordered it and was blessed to receive an early review copy from NetGalley. I have slowly looked and chosen a prayer daily through out the last month. My heart has been lifted by some and broken by others. Lisa Harper’s prayer will stick with me for the rest of my life. Sarah Bessey’s prayer to learn to love the world has been so timely the last week. Prayers from Osheta Moore, Kaitlin Curtice, Enuma Okoro, and so many more will resonate with so many hearts and be prayers you carry with you and words you repeat to yourself to remind yourself you’re not alone. I will be recommending this book to all of my family and friends.
After this past year, this book feels like the one my soul needed. A Rhythm of Prayer is a collection of prayers, mediations, and mindfulness practices to bring renewal and refreshment to weary souls. This will be a book I look to time and time again, especially in seasons where I have trouble finding words to express my own thoughts and heart longings. I cannot wait to purchase a physical copy.
This volume from Sarah Bessey features prayers from herself and similarly-minded friends. Sure to be of interest to those who follow her online or attend her conference; less of interest to those with a more robust theological background.
This. Book.

It’s one that I can imagine always having within arms reach.

One that is bent from fitting in the small spaces necessary to “carry-on”.

Pages marked.

Highlights strewn on each page.

Personal ... but universal.
I will read pretty much anything Sarah Bessey writes, contributes to, or recommends. It's a whole thing. I loved this book. Prayer is hard for me as it wasn't something my childhood churches really focused on for some reason. This collection of essays was raw and beautiful. I found myself writing down certain pieces, and researching some of the authors that were new to me. I loved that there were some that were already familiar and I found myself saying "YES!" multiple times. A beautiful book and would be a fantastic gift.
Dedicated to the late Rachel Held Evans and edited by Sarah Bessey, A Rhythm of Prayer is an invitation into holy communion and conversation with God. It is a book of examples of how, where, and why to talk to God. Although there isn't one particular correct way, or place, or reason. You don't even have to use words at all. The extraordinary women who have contributed to this book are gifting us a treasure and ministering to us with love and acceptance and friendship. They invite us to pray - to speak, to listen, to receive all that God has for us - wherever we may happen to be in our spiritual journey. And so I thank them. And I leave you with a small piece of my favorite essay from the collection.
"Find a bit of water to look at, it doesn't have to be much. Maybe a pond, a river, a creek, a lake - if you're really lucky, find the ocean. But go there alone at sunset. I know it seems indulgent and impossible - that's because it is. But every once in a while, the best way to keep moving through your life is to do something that seems impossibly kind for your own soul...Sit in the silence at the edge of the water..."
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the advanced copy to review.
Sarah Bessey is one of the people behind Evolving Faith, a conference, podcast, and community that connects people in the midst of faith shifts (or evolutions) with each other in order to provide companionship for the liminal spaces between no longer and not yet. It's an approach with a wide lens, seeking and receiving spiritual guidance   from inside and outside of narrowly-defined American Christianity. It's a generous and inclusive community, offering hospitality to the unsure and the disillusioned.

So it is appropriate that Bessey invited  a diverse group of writers, pastors, preachers, theologians, and poets to offer prayers and meditations that speak to the longings and hopes that people hold while they're in the process of growing. The prayers are beautiful, deeply resonant and imaginative.
A Rhythm of Prayer is not quite what I expected but still good in its own way. Perhaps, it was the way my egalley was set up but the format of the book was odd. The prayers are insightful and deep. I enjoyed reading prayers from all my favorite Christian pastors, writers and influencers. If you're looking to deepen your prayer life you should check out A Rhythm of Prayer. Also Sarah Bessey has yet to let us down.
A Rhythm of Prayer is a book of prayers, hymns, thoughts, and stories; a modern day version of Psalms for a post-everything world. The themes covered in this book are the same timeless themes that have been with humanity for millennia. Brokenness, desperation, fear, and anguish, are all well represented. But there are moments of hope, joy, and thanksgiving wrapped within it so that the book doesn’t seem like a steady descent into darkness.It’s a quick read, but would work better for a reader if a few entries are read at a time, so that there’s time for reflection.

This is the kind of book that’s going to make a reader feel uncomfortable at times because there are two types of psalms; those a person can relate to and those that a person hopes to never relate.

A large group of women from diverse backgrounds wrote the entries in this book, so no two are alike and the perspectives are broad and honest.

Sarah Bessey did a phenomenal job of putting this together and could definitely put together a successful sequel to this book.

Thanks to NetGalley and Convergent Books for an advanced copy.
A Rhythm of Prayer features a collection of prayers, mediations on prayer, and prayer and mindfulness practices. Most of the prayers seem especially suited for those who find themselves in the wilderness or out on the fringes of faith, so to speak, and serve as an invitation for readers to think differently about prayer. I found many of the prayers to be very moving and resonated strongly with my own experiences and spiritual journey.

Many of the prayers and meditations  center on issues of justice, from ableism to racism, as well as mental health and wellness.

The contributors to this collection make up a diverse group of women, with writings from Black women, Indigenous women, and other women of color. This would be a great resource to keep on hand when crafting liturgy for prayer and worship gatherings as well as for personal use in your spiritual journey.

If you, like me, find yourself weary—because what a year, right?—there is a lot of hope to be found among these pages from fellow travelers along the way.

Thank you @netgalley and Convergent Books for the ARC!
★★★★ ☐ The publisher has provided a copy for review.

Among all the lovely things written, poetic prayers stir the soul. This is one of those collections of prayers. You'll find prayers for refection, current challenges and opportunities, and future visions. Come join the followers of Jesus in their pleas and praises - this volume will become a treasured part of your meditations and appeals, regardless of your Christian background.

Let your soul be stirred.
What a beautiful reflection of what honest prayers look like. This book will lift and care for your spirit in a way that only Bessey and her contemporaries know how -- with full love and grace.
A Rhythm of Prayer is a collection of prayers from an incredibly diverse group of Christian women. The inclusion of women from so many different faith traditions, races, backgrounds and orientations was so refreshing at a time when the Christian community has felt very divided. There are so many incredible prayers in this book that I can’t review each one individually so I’ll single out my personal favorite. As a person with a chronic illness, I found A Liturgy for Disability by Stephanie Tait to be incredibly moving. I’ll post the full quote when the book is released, but for now suffice to say that her prayer that people with disabilities would “experience dignity, acceptance and belonging” has become my nightly prayer. I know that I’ll be referring back to these prayers for years to come. My sincere thanks to, @netgalley, Convergent Books @randomhouse, and the fabulous @sarahbessey for this advanced review copy of A Rhythm of Prayer. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5 #ARhythmOfPrayer #NetGalley
I am such a huge fane of Sarah Bessey’s work and her latest book is my new favorite. This collection of prayers, essays and poems written by her and a slew of other talented women is just beautiful and so needed during these rough times.
Thank you to you the publisher for this advanced company.  I love Sarah Bessey and this latest contribution is no different.  Insightful, challenging, encouraging, all of the above.
Sarah Bessey has compiled prayers and meditations from a variety of female leaders of faith - a much-needed devotional during these anxiety-producing times.  I especially appreciated Bessey's inclusion of meditation "directions" for those of us who may not be used to praying in this way.  While not all of the selections were inspiring to me, there are several that I book marked and will be rereading frequently.

Thank you, NetGalley, for the ARC.
What a great collection from a diverse slate of authors.
Can't wait to purchase this and go through it with a highlighter!
The prayers in this book were beautifully written and do not shy away from the "grit" of life. I was hoping for more prayers that I could use as part of my morning devotions on a personal level, but these prayers seem to be written in a broader scope. They are literary and sound lovely. They communicate the need in our world (and the God who can meet the needs).