Cover Image: The Weirn Books, Vol. 1

The Weirn Books, Vol. 1

Thank you to NetGalley and JY for an eARC of this title

I really enjoyed this graphic novel. I loved the urban fantasy vibes and the mystery. I found the world really interesting and world-building was explained really well. The characters were also really interesting and different. I found them to be well written and they really did feel like kids at school. I enjoyed the dynamics between the friend group and other students at school.

Overall, I think this story was very fun and exciting. I couldn’t guess what was going to happen, which is always fun. The mystery and magic were all very interesting. I loved the wide variety of magical people and creatures. I would highly recommend this to children and adults alike!

Rating: 4/5 stars
Allis is a weirn: a witch with an astral. She lives in a town where there are several people like her and goes to a school during the night. When a creepy figure keeps appearing and the history of the creepy house in the woods resurfaces, our cast decides to investigate.
I really enjoyed this graphic novel. The characters were so fun. Especially Jasper and his chaotic astral.
I'm looking forward to reading the next volume, since we were left with such a cliffhanger.
This book was a lot of fun! I loved the creepy setting and the mysterious mansion was so cool! Parts of the plot were pretty predictable, but it was still a really fun spooky and magical read! I really enjoyed the world building and the characters. Leesh and Na’ya are such great characters and I loved following their story!

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely love Svetlana Chmakova's graphic novels. They're so much fun! (Awkward is still my fave).

This book takes place in a magical town, which is so cool! I do think I prefer the contemporary settings in Chmakova's books, but it is great to also see some fantasy.

I love the artstyle, and the writing. It is so lighthearted and funny. (HER BOOKS ARE SO MUCH FUNNN)

I found plot-wise the story to be quite underwhelming. There are some cliches and tropes. The story (especially the villian) didn't grab me, so I don't think it will stick with me.

Overall a fun and quick read!

~ I received an E-Arc in exchange for an honest review ~
Ailis and her cousin Na'ya are your average middle school students... almost. They're weirns -- witches that have shadow creatures attached to them for life; demon pets known as Astrals. But even magical night people have to go to school! A special night school for weirns, werewolves, and other magical beings. This first in the Weirn Books series is another page-turner that fans of Chmakova's beloved Berrybrook Middle School series (Awkward, Brave, Crush) will definitely line up for. It's been one of our school library's most popular graphic novel series over the last few years, and I can already tell this will be another hit. She takes on a more paranormal, urban fantasy route with this one, and I have nothing but amazing things to say. The artwork is delightful, the characters are quirky and unique (and some creepy! Even this 30-something year old was spooked at times), and the introduction to this intriguing Night Realm will leave readers wanting more. I know can't wait for more adventures with Ailis and the gang. What a fun read!
I have read some of Svetlana's previous works and absolutely loved them, so I was excited to have the chance to read her newest one. This is set in the same supernatural world as her Nightschool series and features some young Weirn teens who are not only living in their night world, but also dealing with some of the insecurities and difficulties that young teens face. The adventure that the two cousins go one while trying to solve the mystery before them is fun and has the perfect amount of spooky elements.

Chmakova's art style is beautiful and the color palette perfectly suited the story and characters. I really enjoy how she depicts astrals especially and how each one of them had a different personality and look.

I think people of all ages would enjoy this story and it's great if your looking for a light spooky read for younger readers. Svetlana Chmakova writes amazing stories for the middle grade age range and I recommend checking out any of her works if you think you might like her artwork or style.
Two magical cousins get dragged into the mystery of the old building in the Silent Wood. Years ago a number of magical children disappeared from the building and the girls and their friends find out the truth about that terrible night.
Svetlana Chmakova presents us with a great story about a secret magical world and the evil that lurks in a small town. It's a great tale of friendship and family. If you enjoyed her Berrybrook Middle school series and enjoy fantasy stories you will love this new Graphic Novel.

*This book was given to me as a free NetGalley eARC for a fair and honest review.
I have loved Svetlana Chmakova's works since I first read "Awkward". He characters are funny, interesting, and most importantly relatable. In the Weirn Books vol. 1 we meet cousins Ailis, Na'ya, and D'esh, they are young weirns in a town full of "human-passing night things". Ailis and Na'ya attend a night school to learn how to use their powers and train their Astrals. The relationship between the cousins and their grandma (who Ailis is staying with) is full of love and playful banter. Although a minor character, D'esh is my absolute favorite character. He is sweet, caring, and full of energy. He reminds me a lot of my son when he was that age. The main conflict centers around a dilapidated mansion in the heart of the Silent Woods. The building had sat empty for 70 years, but one day on the way to school the lights began to come on again. After learning about the buildings past the children are pulled into solving the mystery. As always Chmakova's art is expressive and it draws the reader in. The story is perfect for any middle grade reader who enjoys Raina Telgemeier, Victoria Jamieson, and Sarah Weeks. I just loved this book and I can't wait to read more about the cousins and their friends in future volumes.
I really enjoyed this YA/middle grade comic.  It's a story about magic, family, and friendship set in a very interesting urban fantasy setting.  The magic system was engaging, the school conflict was relatable, the family dynamics were fun, and the villain was pretty darn creepy.  I'd previously only read some very early work by this author and it is great to see how she's grown in both her art and storytelling/worldbuilding.
Thank you so much to NetGalley and Yen Press for the e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I don't read too many Middle Grade graphic novels, but a fantasy/horror GN is definitely my preference, and although this one leans towards the cute variety (for obvious audience-appropriate reasons) it definitely still delivers.

The premise is great fun, I adored the setup, and the magic here is really interesting. The characters are all likable (mostly) and are compelling to keep the pace progressing at a clip throughout. The fantasy world feels well fleshed out, and it has an added element of mystery which carries the storyline forward really well.

The artwork here is fun, bright, and engaging and I feel works quite well with the story being told, and definitely works well for the intended audience. And I really appreciated the text here as the font changes to not only convey what is being said but also HOW it is being said. It works as a really clever device to communicate the emotions and mood of the characters.

I think there is lots of promise here and I'll be looking out for volume 2. Highly recommend.

4 adorable stars!
A fun graphic novel about a supernatural town filled with magic and a mysterious abandoned mansion. A supernatural mystery for cousins Ailis and Na'ya who live in the Night Realm. When Na'ya's brother, D'esh, disappears, near an abandoned school house, it's up to Ailis and Na'ya to figure out what's going on.
I love reading graphic novels because they're always super fun and quick to get through. So much of the storytelling work is done by the art. The Weirn Books Vol 1 did a really good job of worldbuilding through a balance of narration and art. Its only six chapters long but  the characters and world were so interesting that I was invested right away. The plot was a little predictable but not to bad for soemthing aimed at a middle grade audience. Overall Ireally enjoyed it and would totally recommend.
Received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The first book in this series is an introduction to the supernatural world and we see how ordinary kids go to "Night School" for the supernatural creatures in their town. This story follows Allis and Na'ya who go to magic school and live a relatively ordinary life...until they notice something weird happening at the supposedly abandoned mansion. They start investigating and it starts getting dark...

The artwork is light and fun, almost whimsical, which is ironic considering the story gets pretty dark. Like, dang, didn't think it was gonna go there, ha.

The dialogue was perfect for the age group and felt super realistic, plus the font changes depending on the mood of a character which added to the characters' personalities!

Really didn't like Na'ya but that's a personal thing...I usually don't like characters who treat their younger siblings poorly or as an annoyance though I know it's somewhat realistic. It's just me.

Highly recommend for fans of Gravity Falls and similar supernatural-mystery content!
The Weirn Books, Vol. 1 by Svetlana Chmakova is an adorable middle grade fantasy comic book full of magic students attending magic school in a magic town. This is in the line of the Italian Disney comic book W.I.T.C.H. for 10 to 13 year old girls wanting a bit more marvelous and supernatural in their lives. The drawings are adorable with bright colours and a plethora of courageous and feisty girls doing what all pre teens do, living through what they live, but with the added bonus of having their own demon magic creature with them all the times. Which is a big perk for anyone! I'm sure this will be a beloved book for that age group even if it does lack a little originality and relies too much on tropes for the older audience to be much interested. The characters are likable, there is an arching plot that takes place within the volume (no big cliffhanger there even if there is the suggestion of the next volume) and the pace keeps things going quickly for the younger crowd.
An exciting and fun fantasy romp. The author is clearly good at what she does as the characters are well realized, the mythology is honest and true while still being easily graspable yet isn't pedantic. Well paced, well plotted. loved this book
I received this book from NetGalley as an eARC in exchange for a review.

That art in this book is fantastic and worth the read alone. The story was very enjoyable and paired very well the art. I wish we had gotten a bit more character development but since its the first in a series I could see that happening in later volumes.
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher!

The Weirn books Vol 1 tells the story of cousins Ailis and Na'ya. They are weirns, a kind of witch, that go to a Night School for night children: witches, werewolves, vampires, etc. Their grandma always tell them to stay away from the haunted house but one day they go there and something happens...

I liked this story from the beginning, the drawings are really cute and I really liked Ailis and how much she likes food. Weirn people have a shadow demon which is like a magical pet that stays next to them for life. I find those creatures fascinating, I wish I had one.

Na'ya has a little brother, D'esh, they are also weirns and go the same school, except for D'esh who goes to the children night school. I also liked Na'ya, she's fearless, funny and looks like she doesn´t like romance (I hope she's aroace like me).

Together they study, get in trouble and go on adventures with their friends.

It's a really good middle grade story for children and also young adults. I love paranormal books like this one.
In the Night Realm, vampires, shifters, weirns, and other night things passing for human prowl the streets... but they still have to go to school! Ailis and Na'ya are pretty average students (NOT losers), but when a shadow starts looming and a classmate gets all weird, they are the first to notice. It gets personal, though, when Na'ya's little brother D'esh disappears-It's time to confront the secrets of the forbidden mansion in the Silent Woods!
Join the acclaimed author of Awkward, Svetlana Chmakova, for an outing into her favorite fantastical world full of magic and adventure!

A delightful and fun journey with magical creatures and facing evil. I absolutely adored  Nightschool: The Weirn Books ( think high school version) and when I found out about this middle grade story set in the same world I was so so excited to read it! The story has all the elements of a great graphic novel! Adventure, friendship, and magic!

*Thanks Netgalley and Yen Press for sending me an arc in exchange for an honest review*
After many times of trying, I finally was able to read with Digital Editions.
This book is very different with Chmakova other books. It's a world with magic. Children  go to school for weirn.
A brilliant book to start a new series. Looking forward to reading no.2., no. 3
I really enjoyed this title. Chmakova has created another beautiful and playful world with depth and humor. While some aspects, like crushes, aren't a new idea and seem a bit of a trope they are still fun and very relatable.