Cover Image: Watch Over Me

Watch Over Me

I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked this book up. It was full of sadness and the pain that comes from dealing with grief. Beautifully written!
Nina can do no wrong. I love her sad, haunting, melancholic writing and her characters are always diverse, well-rounded, and hit you in the heart. This book discusses grief, pain, loss, and in such a beautiful and lyrical way. While not my favorite LaCour book, I will always love her books and writing and definitely flew through this!
This was a beautifully written book that told a very quirky story.  It begins normally enough, but all of a sudden it talks bout ghosts being seen dancing and playing out in the field at the school as a matter of fact.  At first it surprised me, but then I got comfortable with the ghosts.  And then as the story progresses, step by step, the realization of who the teachers and children are at the school along with Mila's realization and even that tends to seem normal as the reader gets caught up in the story.  If you as the reader like something quite different from the normal realistic book, this is one to read.
Another lovely story by Nina LaCour. She's just such a wonderful writer and my high school students love to read her books. This one is a ghost story about trauma, healing, and acceptance. I often have students ask me for a "sad book" and this one fits the bill -- it is a sad book but it is so much more.
I didn't really know what to expect from this book, but I ended up really loving the themes present and where the story went by the end. I found the first half to be a bit boring, and wasn't nearly as interested in life on the farm/teaching the kids as I was about finding out what the ghosts were and what they meant, as well as learning more about Mila's past.

But the last half had me on the edge of my seat, and I ended up reading it in a single sitting because I had to know what was going to happen next. While this was a sad, haunting read, I loved the hopeful note the book ended on. Overall, this was such a different book from what I'm used to reading, and I'm really glad I picked it up!
nina always impresses with her almost lyrical writing while addressing real issues. i have been a fan since everything leads to you and have yet to be disappointed
Beautifully haunting and vivid, as LaCour's writing always is. Another book from her that I will carry with me. Full review in 2020 favourites video.
A haunting eulogy to the grieving of loss innocence that abuse victims can feel in their adulthood, Nina LaCour's WATCH OVER ME hits you in every emotion-bearing organ possible.
I’ve never read The Turn of the Screw, but this was extremely enjoyable. So many emotions reading it. A journey of ghosts and trauma to remember.
WOW! This book was fantastic. I am a huge fan of Nina LaCour's writing, and just as I had predicted, the writing in this book was beautiful. I also loved the characters, as I felt emotionally attached to them and genuinely cared about them while reading this book.
I'm not going to lie, this book freaked me out a bit. I'm easily scared by really anything and this managed to do it. I think this book is best suited to those who are not babies such as I, but overall I really enjoyed it. It was a pretty fast read, but it packed a punch. It dealt with a lot of deep and emotional topics, but I think it handled them beautifully. There was an overall theme of healing and growth that I loved to see, and think it really lightened the book at times. This had the option of becoming a very dark book, but that aspect of people that need each other banding together and growing together really made it enjoyable. I think it was a great book, just maybe better suited for someone else:)
Nina LaCour's lyrical writing takes us through a, extremely delicate experience with such grace, passion, and fearlessness. This was a pleasure to read.
Thanks to Penguin Teen for gifting me this book. It was small and mighty. I still don't have a lot of experience with magical realism, but if they were all done like this, if would be a favorite genre.  I loved the interpretation of the ghosts, and what they signified.  I really love Nina Lacours  books!
Watch Over Me
By Nina LaCour

A remarkable, motional, and heart wrenching YA story with great characters and fantastic haunting story line I enjoyed reading.

Mila has finally graduated high school and at 19 is out of the foster care system. looking for a fresh start, she accepts a position in an isolated farm in the coast of Northern California where besides being a refuge, is also a place where the past will haunt and live through past traumas and memories.

This was an unusual read full of emotional triggers, yet beautiful and so immersive that will have you turning those pages in this quick read gem of a book. Overall, this was a book that touched upon the themes of grief, resiliency and with beautifully complex characters that I loved reading about.
A stunning reimagining of the Turn of the Screw. A lovely story about belonging, a sad story about trauma, and an unforgettable story about the ghosts we try to ignore.
Going into Watch Over Me by Nina LaCour, I didn't know what to expect. The blurb doesn't give much away about the plot, so I went in pretty blind. Immediately, I was pulled in. The writing style made me feel like I was watching a movie and I knocked out half of the book before bed one night. It was a fast paced read that kept you on your toes and led you to wanting to know more. Mila's past is shrouded in secrecy and the flash backs leave you eager to find out what happened. The farm Mila gets a job on is surrounded in its own mystery as well. Ghosts roam the property and interact with the tenants. As the story progresses, you know that something is inevitability going to happen between Mila and the ghosts, but you are kept waiting until the end for the big reveal. Overall, the book was very entertaining and was written in a way that made you want to keep reading. Would recommend.
LaCour's prose is beautiful and she writes a wonderful story. I am so happy that I loved this as much as WE ARE OKAY. This was an instant order for my school library.
Wow! Just finished this beautiful book and I loved it. After high school graduation Mila takes a teaching job at a farm with a foster family where she must face fears, grief, and ghosts.
Grief, abuse, loneliness, abandonment, insecurity and hope are all dealt with in this ghost story that effectively makes the reader feel on edge and apart. This literary fiction book by LaCour is an immersive dive into the empty void remaining after Mila ages out of foster care. I genuinely became attached to reading this book, but don't feel it is appropriate for my middle school audience due to the pretty candid sexual scene(s).
I really wanted to like this. I loved the cover, I loved the title, but the book was so slow. I tried to think of how to summarize it for my students, and it was really a hard sell. I know that Nina Lacour has devoted fans, but this book missed the mark for me.