Cover Image: Big Love Cooking

Big Love Cooking

Easy to follow instructions and simple recipes make this a good go-to book for people in a hurry. The photos are excellent and helpful.
This handsome book is full of home-style Italian recipes from Chef Joey Camparo of NYC’s Little Owl Restaurant, where the emphasis is on hearty, traditional fare, lovingly prepared. The atmosphere of this beloved spot is conveyed by Joey’s friendly, conversational prose style and lavish, colorful illustration. The photos are really special: you will be compelled to cook just by looking at them. Diners rave about Little Owl’s Brioche French Toast with Stewed Strawberries; Crispy Chicken; Ricotta Cavatelli with Tomato Broth, Bacon, and Fava Beans. You might not be able to visit the Little Owl, but these accessible recipes help you bring the flavor and feel of this trattoria into your own home. While reading Big Love Cooking,  I thought often about a long-gone favorite “red sauce” restaurant I loved back in grad school. Little Owl is a step up from those places, but for a tyro or a pro, this book has much to offer: a big. rich family feast, and in Joey,  a steady, assured guide to help you create. Highly recommended. I received a digital copy  from NetGalley.
An absolutely beautiful cookbook! This cookbook made me feel comfortable, from the stories to the recipes everything was heartwarming and wholesome. I loved the beautiful photos of the food, I wished there were more for every recipe! You can tell that every recipe (all 75 of them!) were chosen out of a love for food and sharing meals with family and friends.
This is a wonderful cookbook on Italian, homemade comfort food that will make you belly rumble. It is well organised, with a good overview of chapters, and it inspires the novice cook to try out some new ideas and bring them to the family table. Fresh and inviting photography, where the colours leap off the page. Mouth-watering, simple, authentic and a family feast. Great for family sharing.
Recipes include Gravy Meatball Slider Buns, Pork Chop with Parmesan Butter Beans, Ricotta Cavatelli with Tomato Broth, Bacon, and Fava Beans—accessible, delicious meals to make at home and serve to loved ones.
Big Love Cooking was a beautiful cookbook that balanced amazing food photos with recipes I loved and will incorporate in my meal planning. Thank you for the Advanced Reader Copy.
I received this Arc from Chronicle Books for an honest review.
  I found this book to be more than just a cookbook. Yes, there are recipes and instructions for them but along with most are also stories that add to each one. Though the author is the owner of a restaurant named “Little Owl” what you have is a book that feels like when I was learning how to cook Italian food from my father and him telling me the family history, or stories that went along with the different dishes that we would make or how his grandmother who came over from Italy had taught him. I got that same feeling with this book. This only wants me to read the book again after I finished it the first time to see if I had missed anything from the author.
  You do get everything for a meal, soups, salads, pasta, poultry, seafood, desserts. Which were all good. I did find out growing up that each Italian family made dishes different depending on what region they came from. My family came from Southern Italy along the coast and ate a lot of seafood, vegetables of course pasta but not a lot of meat. until they came to America. When I would visit them in New York I found myself have a meal that was like the different sections in this book so really, I was revisiting relatives that have passed, very good memories. This book reminded me of that plus added new recipes or takes on others that I already make. This book is a must for the home cook and would be a great addition for anyone or a gift for a cook that you know.
This cookbook feels like home! Even though we grew up in different areas with different traditions, it reminds me of all the things I love about growing up in an Italian family. From big family dinners to watching my great-grandmother make her famous ravioli, this cookbook brings me right back to that time and place.
A cookbook loaded with delicious looking recipes, it is divided into Brunch, Soups & Salads, Vegetables, Pasta, Meat & Poultry, Fish & Seafood, Sunday Supper and Desserts.  It includes a pantry list and essential cooking utensils and puncuated with full-color photographs.  The cover photo of My Mother's Ziti with Cherry Tomatoes, Sausage, and Zucchini looks absolutely scrumptious.  Cinnamon Sugar Beignets with Raspberry Sauce and Nutella would make a fantastic brunch.  How about Crab Cakes with Beefsteak Tomatoes followed by Snickerdoodles with Salted Caramel?

I received a complimentary advanced reader copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Full of the Italian-American comfort foods that many love.  Author/chef Joey Campanaro even gives the recipe for his spice mix used in his restaurant The Little Owl.  Invaluable.
This cookbook is by the owner of a well-regarded restaurant in NYC.  It's primarily Italian recipes, meant to be served home style with family and friends.  The recipes look delicious, and I'm going to purchase the book so I can try some at home.  Lots of great pictures, I especially loved the old pictures of NYC.  5 stars.

Thanks to Chronicle Books and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Big Love Cooking is one of those wonderful cookbooks that is more than just a collection of recipes, it is one of those wonderful cookbooks that reads like a book. We've enjoyed looking at and trying the recipes. They really are comfort food and isn't that something we all need these days?
There were so many delicious sounding recipes, but unfortunately I did not have time to write them down before my copy expired.
The pictures in the book are amazing and makes you want to try the dishes. I’m not crazy passionate about cooking but I enjoy it sometimes and the recipes seemed really easy to follow.

The one recipe I did try turned out to be delicious and now I’m contemplating actually purchasing the physical copy as I’m crazy about cookbooks.
This is the type of cookbook you want to use when you've got friends or family over and you want to impress. It's not really you're everyday cookbook. The recipes usually have a detailed story behind them with other family stories spread throughout. I also found most of the recipes being quite long and involved with most recipes not fitting on only 1 page.
I havent made any of the recipes yet but I plan to in the future.
Overall its a good coffee table type cookbook that you might pull out occasionally but wouldn't be an everyday one.
Thanks to Netgalley.com and Chronicle Books for my complimentary eARC copy.
Really enjoyed this cookbook! Was only able to try a few recipes in this book, but felt really inspired by some of the recipes where I could add my own twist to them too!
I never thought it possible to DNFed a cookbook! Let alone one about comfort food, but I just couldn't continue this book.

There weren't enough pictures. There was too much personal text. I do not have a problem with a bit of personal and getting to know the cook, but sometimes I just want to get to the recipe. Sorry, not sorry.
Big Love Cooking is the Italian cookbook everybody needs in their life. It’s full of amazing and delicious sounding Italian dishes, but the really great aspect of Big Love Cooking is Campanaro’s love and dedication to his mom, family and cooking. The highest praise I can think to give is that if I went to a restaurant where the recipes in this cookbook were all on the menu, I would have the absolute most difficult time choosing what to eat. All of the recipes sounded delicious and special in their own way. Loved it!
Big Love Cooking is a welcome collection of good recipes that reflect a love of good food that sets instead of follows trends. Joey Campanaro dedicated this book to his mother and grandmother and for good reason, their recipes and their food aesthetic form the foundation of his cooking, and many of their recipes are included. There are eight chapters with around ten recipes in each one. Most of the chapters, though, are organized by the main ingredients, not by the meals. The exceptions are the opening chapter on brunch and the closing chapters for “Sunday Supper” and desserts.

Big Love Cooking is full of the kind of recipes I want to make, pasta, meatballs, roasted chicken, pizza, and biscuits. There are exquisite details that elevate the recipes such as a dash of molasses and oregano in the pizza dough or sausage incorporated right into the biscuits. The recipes are amply illustrated with photos that make everything look delicious.

The recipes all have a bit of introduction and very detailed instructions. Ingredients are given in American and the rest of the world’s measurements. He also provides details on what you should stock your pantry and the kind of kitchen equipment necessary. This is a great idea. I would, however, move the chapter on stocking the pantry and buying equipment until the end simply because it takes several pages of reading before getting to the first recipe.

This book could actually be very helpful for inexperienced cooks because the instructions are so clear. However, it is designed in such a way that it might intimidate someone from even trying. These are almost all design elements, not part of the author’s recipes. The ingredients are double spaced and even salt and pepper have their own lines every time telling us Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Of course, he must include salt and pepper, but why not one line? The double-spacing makes the ingredient list feel longer than it is. A few times I nearly balked at a recipe, thinking it looked like more trouble than I wanted to deal with. However, reading the recipe, it was not that long or complicated, it just seemed that way.

Nonetheless, everything sounds delicious and I can vouch for the pizza dough. It’s spectacular.

I received an e-galley of Big Love Cooking from the publisher through NetGalley

Big Love Cooking at Chronicle Books
Joey Campanaro agency site
Big Love Cooking by Joey Campanaro is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late September.

Written by Campanaro, the chef of the Little Owl, a pleasant family-style Italian restaurant with pointed nods toward Mediterranean and South Philadelphia dining. He seems like a super jolly, let me take care’a you kinda guy - often, he lays on the exclamation points a little thick, but not in a way that’s annoying or overbearing. He honestly wants you to have a good time cooking and eating wonderful food. And, just as well, each recipe is truly marvelous. As a side note, I’d actually just found out about the concept of Sunday gravy when Pinterest subtly corrected me on a recipe to use with spaghetti noodles. Touché, ‘terest.
I love trying new recipes and learning to cook different foods so I am always, always, always on the lookout for a new cookbook.  This book was amazing! The pictures were gorgeous, the recipes were organized well, and the personal stories woven throughout just added to the overall experience.  I will say that some of the recipes have ingredients that might not be readily available to some people depending on location but overall they were very easy to follow. Also.....who doesn't love a cookbook that has a playlist with it? I made the pizza recipe and it was pretty darn good!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this selection.