Cover Image: The Places We Sleep

The Places We Sleep

This story centers on the life of Abbey, a 7th grader who gets her period for the first time on the same day that 911 happens in New York. Abbey, although a very gifted artist,  is an insecure, self conscious adolescent, who has moved around for her entire life as the child of an enlisted father. This book allows us a look into the windows of her mind as she struggles to make sense of the loss of her aunt with the falling of the twin towers, the deployment of her father to Afghanistan, and the struggle to make new friends and feel a sense of belonging. The book is written as a novel in verse, which is sometimes a little confusing, but generally, very engaging and relatable. It is a story that most middle school girls can relate to, especially in the area of friendships, "mean girls," belonging and family.

4 star read!

**Thankyou Netgalley and publisher for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange for a honest review**
A family divided, a country going to war, and a girl desperate to feel at home converge in this stunning novel in verse.

What a beautifully written verse novel. It was so lovely to read. The book is about a young girl who is growing up and dealing with all of the issues that children go through. However, the book is also set during 9/11 and discusses the fear and trauma that everyone experienced during that time. The story was tender, emotional and lovely. The cover is beautiful, but I feel that it could be a little bit more mature to appeal to the target audience.