Cover Image: How to Lose an Ex in Ten Days

How to Lose an Ex in Ten Days

This book was a conflicting 3.5/5 stars.
How to lose an ex in 10 days is a romantic comedy following the life of Belle Delphine, a journalist, and her journey to find love after being left at the altar. The story starts with Belle agreeing to ask out Nate, her co-worker, to try to move on, when her ex Ed mysteriously reappears after 6 years and starts invading every aspect of her life.

I absolutely loved the first half of the book! I thought that the characters were well developed, the storyline was cute and the big plot twist was well delivered (I really did not see it coming!). However, in the second half of the book, the supernatural aspect could have been better written as the story became really cringy and much more predictable. Frankly, I found the characters in the second half of the book to be petty for the most part and I was disappointed to say the least.
The only thing that kept me reading was Belle's family interactions, which were SO ENTERTAINING and fun to read! Belle’s mother always brings drama around her in hilarious ways as she tries to be in the spotlight and her grandmother… well she’s just a gem! The grandmother was my favourite character by far!

Overall, this book was very entertaining and engaging. It made me laugh out loud so many times! It was definitely a fun read despite the high level of cringe at the supernatural aspect. I would have given 4 stars+ if the second half was better written.

*An advanced reading copy was kindly sent by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.*
Thank you netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was a quirky, chaotic romance with an equally turbulent protagonist determined to get rid of her ex fiance without her new interest knowing. While her mission to keep the return of the ex a secret is amusing at times it does become burdensome to the storyline.  She is weighted by her fears and doubt making it almost impossible to believe she is ready to give her all to Nate. Ultimately she gets the guy at the end. Entertaining nonetheless.
Sorry I didn’t enjoy this one I found the plot to be very bland. The writing wasn’t bad but I didn’t fall in love with any of the characters and didn’t find them interesting. Not for me I’m afraid!
The title had me sucked in and I love a good rom com!

This was cute, fun and enjoyable to read. This would be the perfect summertime
Beach read with a glass of rose in hand.
This book was the perfect escape. It was lovely and fun. It was my first book by this author and I will definitely be on the look out for more!!
A fun read, although I found it quite slow to get started.

Belle was left at the altar by Ed years ago, and hasn't been able to move on. Now it seems like she will, gearing up to ask Nate on a date. But then Ed re-appears - why is he back and what does he want?
The story focusses on Belle, a single girl living in Edinburgh who was jilted at the altar a number of years ago by Ed. Belle has a crush on her colleague Nate but Ed keeps popping up trying to ruin everything!
I enjoyed the start of the story but once it got to the “twist” I found it a bit slow and predictable.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this book.
While I was initially intrigued at the book's paranormal twist, said twist overshadowed the main romance's development that I don't particularly believe in the book's ending.

I liked seeing Belle grow and finally face what happened years ago, but Nate felt like a useless character. We barely skimmed the surface with him, and to me, he wasn't necessary at all to the story, when there was so much focus on Ed and his hauntings. Nate reacting horribly to Belle's past made zero sense, especially when he and Belle had only gone on one date! Don't tell me he expected Belle to tell her entire life story during the first date!

A very disappointing read, especially when the blurb sounds so interesting.
A light hearted enjoyable read. Belle is thinking of starting a new relationship when Ed, her ex who left her at the altar re enters her life.

Not a usual romance but I loved it. So different to anything I've read before. A story about moving on from our past relationships.

Thank you to Netgalley and Harper Collins for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
How to Lose an Ex in 10 Days is less of a rom-com and more a contemporary women's fiction book, with a supernatural twist and a heavy focus on forgiveness and finding yourself/moving on. Without spoiling said twist, I, unfortunately, found this novel to be underwhelming. While I liked the writing style, I wanted more character and relationship development (a.k.a chemistry!). I also found the book to be quite slow-paced at time.
When I first saw this book, I thought it would be a cute romcom. I love how to lose a guy in 10 days, so I thought this would be a similar premise but with an ex, (so the characters would clearly have known each other). The storyline did not go as I had expected it to, and I found the characters very unlikable. I just could not enjoy this.
I was really excited to read this book as the synopsis caught my eye but after 100 pages, it fell flat for me and I made the decision to DNF.

Thank you to the author, publisher and Netgalley for an ARC for a honest review of this book!
4.5 stars.

I was given an e-arc thanks to Netgalley and the publisher.

I absolutely adore Lottie Lucas’ writing and just like her previous novel I adored this one as well.

I loved the craziness in every chapter keeping me going and making me want to read on. This was definitely eventful.

There was a couple of plot twists I didn’t see coming and it took me some time to adjust to but I really enjoyed this book!

I definitely recommend to give this a try!
I received an ARC of this book to read through NetGalley. All opinions are my own.
How To Lose an Ex in Ten Days by Lottie Lucas is a lighthearted, fun to read rom-com novel. Six years after being left at the altar, Belle Delphine still exists in a stasis state, with no dreams or goals, merely existing and trying to get by. While on the first date she’s had in all that time, Belle catches a glimpse of someone who looks just like her missing ex, and then unbelievably, Ed turns up in the stationary closet at work. Why now when she’s finally ready to move on, and how does he manage to pop up at the absolutely worst moments? Belle has the ten days until her sister’s wedding to stop Ed from haunting her, deal with her attention-seeking mother, prevent said sister Rosie from turning into a Bridezilla, find out what’s bothering her best friend Tess, and see if just maybe Nate D’Angelo whom she’s spent the last three years crushing on is the one for her. The story has a nice balance of humour and angst with substantial supporting characters that made it, for me, the perfect escape read. Steam Level: Light
Publishing Date: November 19, 2020. #HowToLoseAnExInTenDays #LottieLucas #HarperCollinsUK #HarperCollinsCanada #BooksOfHCC #RomCom #ContemporaryRomance
#GhostStory #OnceMoreChapter #bookstagram #bookstagrammer
How to Lose an Ex in Ten Days by Lottie Lucas
Publication Date: November 19, 2020
Description from NetGalley...
“A family wedding, a new love, an ex with unfinished business…

With her sister’s wedding just days away and gorgeous Nate D’Angelo finally returning her long, lingering stares across the newsroom, things are slotting into place for journalist Belle Delphine. But suddenly her ex – the one who left her at the altar – is back and haunting her every step … literally!

With Ed on a supernatural mission from above Belle’s past clashes spectacularly with her present and everything starts going wrong. Now she’ll have just to ten days to lose her ex, save the wedding and win the man of her dreams!”
Thank you to @NetGalley @harpercollins @onemorechapterhc for the digital ARC in return for my honest review.
My thoughts...
If you’re a romcom fan, you might like this. Unfortunately, this was not the book for me. The theme was interesting, but the story fell flat. The romance wasn’t really there,  which was disappointing because it is a romcom. The main characters were not really likeable and relatable. The most interesting character was the mom - she brought life to the book. This wasn’t the book for me but, this is just my opinion - it could be the book for you.
Thank you to NetGalley for this advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

It’s been years since Belle was left at the alter by Ed, never to hear from him again.  Belle has moved on in her life, she is preparing for her sister's wedding, working as a journalist and flirting with coworker Nate when all of a sudden Ed has turned up back in her life but not in the way Belle thought she’d see him again.

This book, first of all, wasn’t what I thought it was going to be, the major plot point resulting in her wanting to lose her ex in 10 says is not what I expected but I have to say I didn’t really have an issue with it. I thought oh okay that’s kinda weird but I‘m interested to see where this goes.

But largely this book was quite bland.

The characters were underdeveloped as were their relationships. The only character who had any sort of distinct personality trait was the protagonist's mother and that was just because she was chaotic.

We have Belle having feelings for current cute boy Nate whilst still trying to get over that her ex, Ed who left her at the alter and is all of a sudden back in her life. The issue is she doesn’t have any chemistry with either and we aren’t given any reason to be invested in either relationship. With Nate, it is very instalove and with Ed, we are told they have all this history together but are never made apart of any of it.

The writing was okay I have to say, there is often the case where poor writing deters me from reading a book and that wasn’t the issue here honestly neither was the premise. The premise of the book would have been interesting enough to make it a decent book if the characters were properly developed and literally anything happened in the plot. The plot was a lot of nothing happening for way too many pages and I had to push myself to keep reading.

Overall this one wasn’t really a win for me.
I received an ARC of this from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I needed a break from my usual reading and I usually like a cute Romance or rom com to break things up a bit. This wasn’t a bad choice, it was cute, funny and of course had the romance factor, but it just felt a bit flat to me. I lost a bit of interest halfway through since it got a bit repetitive.
Overall, it was an ok read and I’d pick up something from this author again.
I volunteered to read this book, through netgalley in exchange, for an honest review. This book is well written and the characters are described well. All the characters are enjoyable in this story. The relationships within this book is good. The pacing is what everyone looks in a book. The story is set in Edinburgh, Scotland and mentions London. I really enjoyed all the characters in this book. I really enjoyed this author's writing style.  And I can't wait to read more by this author in the future. This ebook will be in stores on November 19, 2020 for $10.99 (AUD). I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone.
3.5/5 stars

How to Lose an Ex in 10 Days is about Belle Delphine, a twenty-six-year-old journalist. Belle lives with her 10 months older sister, Rosie, and their best friend Tess. The novel spans over the course of the 10 days leading up to Rosie’s wedding. As Belle starts to take notice of her colleague and friend Nate, she has this internal struggle because she still feels haunted by her ex who six years earlier left her at the alter who she has had no contact with since, that is until he comes back just a day or two after this internal struggle begins. This becomes problematic for Belle in many ways, but mostly because her ex, Ed, is dead. Now she is being literally haunted by Ed while trying to juggle Rosie’s wedding, Nate’s feelings, why Ed is here, and decipher her own feelings.

While I really enjoyed the plot and the idea behind the novel, I am giving it 3.5/5 starts because there were a lot of things at play that made me question the validity of the novel. Lucas’s writing style and characters are amazing, but the pacing of the novel didn’t feel right and I will get into that shortly, but I want to really highlight and praise the things that did work. Lucas’s writing style is one that I absolutely adore. I have not read her other novel, but now I want to because her style, at least in this novel, is very unique. The story is told from Belle’s first-person perspective, but it is almost second person with Belle speaking directly to the reader at some points. When Belle first speaks to the reader, I was taken aback unsure if it was a mistake because this is very uncommon, but the way that Lucas executes this exchange through the novel does not pull the reader out of the novel but actually does the opposite and pulls them further into the story and you begin to feel like Belle’s closest confidante. It was very fun to read.

Lottie Lucas’s characters are another reason I enjoyed this novel. We have the main characters: Belle, Nate, Ed, Rosie, and hen we have some secondary characters like Belle and Rosie’s best friend Tess, their Mum and Grandmother and Rosie’s fiancé Leo (who is my favorite character and the best person who ever existed). Belle is a character with a lot of guilt, shame, and trust issues especially trusting herself. She is guarded from being jilted at the alter and one of my favorite things about her is that she talks about herself before her wedding day and how she misses that person and wishes that she could be that person again. Belle is an extremely relatable character, even though most of us reading this have probably not been left at the alter, her struggle is one that is very familiar for so many different reasons. Rosie, Belle’s older sister, is a very strict, very solid character and she is very blunt which is needed for Belle in some ways but the way that these characters interact with each other mirrors a lot of sister relationships the good and the bad of them. Our two main men, Nate and Ed, are very different on the surface and Belle compares them a lot throughout the novel. Both men are aggravating and yet I loved them both. Our secondary characters were very flushed out and really brought a lot of relatability and understanding to our main characters and the story itself.

How to Lose an Ex in 10 Days covers really important themes such as closure, self-absorption, trusting yourself, and what means to take control of your life. Belle was left at the alter and SIX YEARS later she is still not able to move on from it. She never hunted Ed down because her friends and family, especially her sister, told her it would be better to just put it behind her and she felt that she had to that for them to prove that she could be okay. Belle bases a lot of decisions off of what she thinks she needs to do for her loved ones. With all that Belle struggles with in these 10 short days she has to come to terms with how she wants to move forward in her life and what that looks like. Lucas does a great job at covering these themes, however, the quickness with which Belle comes to these terms seems too fast and that brings us to the biggest downfall of the novel which is the pacing.

The novel spans over the course of 10 days. Within those 10 days Belle starts to have feelings for her co-worker which in and of itself is not a problem but on top of that Belle is confronted by her ex, which she has made very clear that she is not over, finds out that he has been dead, and then finds closure with all this by the end of the novel. The stages she goes through makes sense but there is a sense of rushing and while I enjoyed the aspects, I was constantly questioning the validity of the novel every time I set it down. I just didn’t buy that things could be so resolved in only 10 days. If this novel would have been in the span of four months I could kind of see it, but it just didn’t make sense to me. With the pacing, the synopsis tells us that her ex comes back and haunts her but that main plot point doesn’t start as soon as you would expect, and it felt like Lucas was forcing herself to build up to it. I would catch myself trying to speed ahead or try to find where Belle finds out, but it just was unneeded build up.

While the pacing of the novel was not great and really hindered the novel, Lucas’s characters, and themes along with this fun plot was an enjoyable read. It is not a new favorite and my issue with the pacing makes it hard for me to recommend the book, but the writing style alone is enough for me to give Lucas’s other book and future books a read.

*I received a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.*

(Will update my feedback with Amazon and BN Review once they become available)
I feel like writers need to stop making these similar plot lines to the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, because there is just nothing that will compare to that movie. This is the third book I've read that tried to compare to one of my favorite romcoms, and it fell short, I love writing rant reviews but I feel bad writing them for books that were given to me. That’s why I’m trying to make this more critical and less of a negative one. This just wasn’t my cup of tea.

The whole book wasn’t that interesting to me, to be honest and I found that most of the stuff happening didn’t make that much sense and also like it just wasn’t that important to the story.