Cover Image: Whiteland

Whiteland

The premise was intriguing and I was interested in the beginning, but the story fizzled out for me and really lost my interest.
Whiteland is perfect for you if you're the atmospheric reader. The writing has a literary feel which could be a hinderance to some readers, but it a great snow day read. Set in a small Swiss village and the forrest nearby, it is a setting for a creepy tale. For me, the characters interactions seemed a bit stilted and I had trouble finishing. Overall, 2.5-3 stars.
This is a awesome read. It has a wonderfully well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the very beginning. .I loved the characters and found them very believable. The suspense was great and I found myself second guessing myself throughout the entire book.
The beginning of this book was serving all sorts of horror realness for me.  But the further along we got, the less I was able to remain connected.  And it was not the writing style, because Rosie Cranie-Higgs can definitely write!  I think I might have had some issues with the actual dialogue at times and the inner-workings of the mindsets involved?  And while the writing style kept me chugging along, there was not so much of a payoff for me.  I wonder if slightly younger crowd would enjoy this more than me - I may not have been the target audience.  But I will definitely check more out from this author in the future!
I wanted to like this book.  The cover and synopsis gave me spooky vibes. stopped reading the book at the 20 percent mark. I do not think the book was for me.
Kira. Kir. Kira whiteland is a young adult book with a gripping cover. I am a cover judger. We are all guilty of it. White Land follows Kira searching for the truth within herself and her loved ones she always has trusted.
I have to be honest, this book never worked for me. The plot took a long time to get started - I was a third of the way in before it even reached what was described in the blurb - and once it did, it was disappointingly predictable. The characters had great promise but all read a much different age than they actually were, making them completely unbelievable.

The writing focused too much on description and not enough on action, bogging me down in descriptions of 'chocolate eyes' or reminding me how beautiful a character was when they were undergoing something horrific. The idea was brilliant - the house truly creative with some genuinely horrifying elements - but the execution fell horrifically flat for me.
This book was not for me. I attempted multiple times to get into the story, but the writing seemed to disjointed for me.
Hi, I lost the eARC of this book so I won't be able to review this book. I hope you understand. I really wanted to read it but unfortunately my phone got formatted and I lost the copy.
When I started this book, I thought of it as a fantasy horror story on steroids. I was sucked in immediately, ready to go down the rabbit hole of a unique fairy tale adventure. The beginning blew me away with uncertainty, and I couldn’t read fast enough to unravel the mystery.
Then, everything started to sputter. Dialogue between the two main characters became repetitive. The adventures felt drawn out without a real sense of direction. The tension so brilliantly developed in the first act now dragged and nearly vanished mid-book. I started skimming and had to reread sections. Part of it was my own impatience. The delicate folds of the plot simply didn’t unravel fast enough. The reaction scenes seemed unnecessarily drawn out when I longed for more action. The protagonist’s arc didn’t develop quick enough to hold my attention which left me unenthusiastically cheering for her throughout the final moments.
It was disappointing, and I even found myself wondering how the shift had occurred. The actual writing style was well done. There’s vivid imagery and lovely descriptions throughout the entire book, and the action scenes incite all the senses, but even with this stellar technique, I couldn’t stay focused on a plot that simply lost speed in the middle.
While this book wasn’t for me, I’d absolutely read another book by the author. It’s a unique premise with lots of imagination spilling into the story world. The author clearly is a skilled wordsmith in terms of syntax and sentence construction, and I’d love to read more in the future in hopes that plot development would continue to improve.
Reading this book was difficult and I could only make it through a third of the novel. It reads like an attempt to be creative with writing style but, unfortunately, it just makes it hard to follow. The timeline was slow and while the character development was fair, it was confusing when the parents were referred to by their given names from the children's POV.
I received an ARC from NetGalley and BHC Press in exchange for an honest review. I thank them for this opportunity.

Romy and Kira are on vacation with their parents when Romy suddenly disappears into the night. The next morning, Kira, with the help of Callum, a local ski-instructor, finds her in a half-frozen and delirious state. After regaining her composure, Romy becomes strangely violent and hurts Kira and herself. Sensing something is amiss, Kira and Callum try to find out what happened on the fateful night Romy disappeared. In doing so, they encounter an otherworldly occurrence among the frozen forests and snowcapped mountains.

Rosie Cranie-Higgs adapts a unique writing style in her debut novel, Whiteland. The book, at least initially, is very atmospheric. The depiction of the cold mountains and the desolate forests provides a perfect setting for such a spooky tale. The stark contrast between the siblings’ characters is evident from the beginning. The opening chapter, which superbly depicts the turmoil inside Romy’s mind, captivated me. However, after a few more chapters, I started losing interest. The story progressed too slowly for my choice. The dialogues sounded overly dramatic. Conjuring up the uncanny circumstances Kira and Callum experienced proved difficult.

Even though the genre is one of my absolute favorites, I did not enjoy the reading experience. The book has enormous potential; however, the execution leaves something to be desired. Those who are into atmospheric horror or fantasy novels and do not mind slow burns might want to read this book.
The novel includes magic, folklore, a forest and Scandinavian gods. This was what initially attracted me to the book as well as a dark mystery and a young girl that disappears and comes back changed.

We follow a family with two daughters that are currently on holidays in the snow. One of the girls disappears one night and it is found the next morning outside covered in snow. She should not have survived yet she did. Not only did she survive but she also appears to have changed.

The other sister, Kira, is investigating the woods together with the boy that helped find her sister. Unfortunately most of the family dynamics feel so unrealistic and the way the characters behave it is just hard to believe.

The mystery of the returned sister and the woods and what they hide started being interesting but it also quickly became repetitive, boring and I completely lost interest in the story.
Even if it's well written the story didn't keep my attention and it fell flat.
Not my cup of tea.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
'Whiteland' by Rosie Cranie-Higgs is a blend of horror and fantasy with folklore and dark fairy tale elements. The book starts on a horrifying and chilling note and I was instantly drawn into the world weaved by the author. But the enchantment cast by the author seems to fade in the middle and I felt the novel lacked the chill invoked at the beginning. The story seemed to drag a bit; while I liked how the bond between Kira and Callum grows, the number of near-misses the duo encounter could have been minimized to maintain the tempo. I also felt that the later chapters was a whirlwind, with too much of elements blending in a bit of a haphazard manner. Personally, I found some aspects of the end guessable, but that didn't really make it any less creepy to read. I loved the imagery employed by the author, I really could visualize the scenes in my mind and I feel that's the selling point of this book. It got me involved with the adventuring experienced by the duo and I can say, I do feel like I travelled to Whiteland alongside Kira and Callum. If some chunk of the book in the middle had been trimmed, this would have easily gotten a 4.5 or higher from me.
Overall, a very scintillating read albeit a bit dragging in some places.
Thank you NetGalley and BHC Press for the copy in exchange for my honest review.
The premise of this book is really creepy but I didn't finish reading this book because the author's writing style wasn't up to my alley.
WHITELAND is a story of a girl trying to bring her family together and it is full of folklore and mystery.  Kira accidentally learns of Whiteland while she is trying to find out what happened to her sister.  Once she realized that Whiteland is not part of her imagination but is actually a different realm than her world, the story took on a different light.  I was expecting different creatures but was surprised and thrilled to learn of something new to me.  The worldbuilding was fabulous.  I knew I was reading about a different realm when Kira was in Whiteland.  Her travels through this new world helped paint the picture in my head.  The climax of the story was believable.  I was a little disappointed in the ending of the story.  It seemed a bit rushed.  I’m hoping it will be remedied in the sequel, which I’m looking forward to reading.

Spoiler – I was hoping to see Romy come back to herself somehow and separate herself from the Kyo.

I received an advance review copy for free from NetGalley and am leaving my honest review voluntarily.  I will be adding this review to my website EveHallows.com.

#Whiteland #NetGalley
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. I mean just read that book blurb! Sadly the creepy concept and the promising opening to this book fell flat fast. I didn't care for the characters and the book quickly felt too young? Immature? I can't quite say. Although the writing was fairly solid, it just wasn't for me.
I loved the first 60% of this book.  It started off in a creepy fantasy and moves into horror.  Romy disappears into the Swiss forest in the middle of the night.  She is brought back after a night in the snow in only her nightgown.  She shouldn't be alive.  And she isn't herself.  What follows is a folktale that involves a haunted forest and succubi.  Sounds great, right?  Her sister is drawn into the search for the truth of what happened.  It gets a little repetitive as she and Callum, the local who found Romy, go into the forest to investigate.  Unfortunately, once you really seem to know what is happening, it starts to go a little slowly.  The ending left me wanting something I didn't get.  Something I felt I was promised in the beginning.
this was a really scary read, the topic really hit home for me and it was so well done. I loved the use of Scandinavian folk lore. I look forward to more from this author.