Cover Image: London's Most Elusive Earl

London's Most Elusive Earl

It was a very generic storyline. Bad Earl  gets good girl. I liked the story and liked the characters.  But I found it predictable and a little boring.
The Earl, Jonathan, had to fulfill certain requirements in order to inherit. That part would have been interesting if it were spelled out in full. The appearance of a half brother he never knew about was never fully explained.
Caroline was looking for a husband.  Shes been told to stay away from the Earl because he has a bad reputation. She is also harboring a secret.  She is most likely barren due to no longer getting her courses. This was another lose end not totally addressed.
I just felt the book a little disconnected. Too many things not fully explained.
Unfortunately not a book I really connected with.  3 stars⭐⭐⭐
I want to thank Netgalley for the chance to review this book.
Sometimes all efforts are in vain, all obstacles are insufficient, all excuses are invalid, when there is a word for love. No matter how much they oppose it, it simply finds a way to subdue, to drive people crazy, to get them carried away in its whirlpool ..... and all obstacles fall, all excuses are lost somewhere in the whirlpool ... And there are only those two people ..He and She…..

Anabelle Bryant tells about such a love in her latest work London’s Most Elusive Earl, a love that will make you dream, hope, love... As in her previous works London's Wicked Affair, London's Best Kept Secret and London's Late Night Scandal, Anabelle Bryant will not disappoint in any way, instead she will delight you with a combination of interesting plot and tender, raw love. Maybe the main characters seem not suitable for each other, completely inappropriate ... He, a powerful earl with a far-reaching reputation, hidden under his mask, she, a gentle debutante, smart, amusing and with sincere hopes.

Faced with mutual interest, Lord Jonathan Cromford, Earl of Lindsey and Lady Caroline Nicholson are characters that as you read, you are simply drawn into their thoughts, and you manage to live their fairy tale. With a connection so intense and undeniable, and passion that burns inside them, they are simply made for each other. No matter how much they deny, and fight against the feelings that neither want, nor understand, the two are simply dragged into the whirlpool of passion and love, which makes them surrender, believe, love .....

If you still enjoy traveling through time, for a moment to walk to some distant place in some distant time, and to enjoy the sounds of a passionate and dangerous love game, then you'll be delighted with this newest addition to the Midnight Secrets series.
London’s Most Elusive Early by Annabelle Bryant  presents a hero and heroine who, despite their private reasons to stay apart, gravitate towards each other despite all of their obstacles. The Earl of Lindsey and Lady Caroline Nicholson each have private reasons for marriage, and despite the reputation of one as a rake, and the efforts to maintain propriety by the other, the two cannot seem to help fall in love. Bryant throws in an art world intrigue, family secrets, and the self sacrifices both characters make for each other, and London’s Most Elusive Earl stacks up to be a solid historical romance.
I enjoyed this one. There is a lot of adult related content, which was a little unexpected but the overall storyline is good.
I love this book so much, it makes me want to go back to London.  I lived in London for years and this book made me miss my "London" . Everyone who lived in London will enjoy it as much as I did. I love London!
Thank you netgalley for providing this arc in exchange for an honest an honest review.
Unfortunately this novel did not hold my interest. The storyline was slow and the characters were unappealing. The earl is under obligation to fulfill his father’s wishes as last testament of his will in order to inherit his estate. His journey to fulfilling his obligations to restore his estate is complicated and uninteresting.
𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒔𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒎𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒚 — Wicked earl gets scavenger hunt from his dead father to complete before he can... take a bride? get his inheritance?... oh, and there's a girl there.

See more on my Instagram & blog

—

This book was confusing and thoroughly uninteresting. I read through it and felt bored the entire time. I didn't care about the characters, I didn't think they had any chemistry, and I just didn't care about the storyline. I could barely follow it, actually - and I don't know if it's because it was confusing or if I was reading without retaining.

The earl (Lindsay?) has inherited from his dead father. His father left him a to-do list that involves creating an heir and putting his finances in order before he can... I don't know. I really don't know! What was the point of him sneaking and lying and stealing? Was it ever resolved?

The girl (Caroline) is back from Italy and ready to be married. Thrown into her character description is that she likes art and was thrown from a horse once and is now possibly barren.

The two meet repeatedly in the study's of houses where they're attending balls or parties (where is her chaperone?) and fall in love, while he is acting like a cat burglar at night trying to find paintings for... some reason. And he has a bastard brother who works into this somehow.

This book is dull and so hard to follow. I'm trying to decide if I'd rather read a badly plotted book with good writing, or a well plotted book with bad writing. I thought I would have said good writing - but now I'm not so sure. I've never felt such determination to just chug my way through a book I couldn't care less about.
I knew I was going to like this book by the end of the first chapter. An unrepentant rogue and a woman who finds him the least desirable bachelor in London. I knew these two would fall and fall hard. There’s nothing better than that transformation of “how could they possibly” to “they were meant for each other” and all the electrifying tension in between. That’s what I love about Anabelle Bryant’s books. She makes me believe.
Lord Jonathan Cromford, Earl of Lindsey and Lady Caroline Nicholson found their way into my heart early in this story. I ached for them both. Jonathan’s cruel father had left a will with many specific, life-altering, rule dictating contingencies. One specifically that Jonathan had no desire to fulfill. Marry and produce an heir. After so many years of avoiding emotional attachments, Jonathan didn’t even think he was capable of loyalty, honor, and love. The things a wife would require. I felt for Caroline as well. She had her heart set on making a match but she was overwhelmed with the advice and machinations of her family. She longed for security, loyalty, and love. Someone to accept her as she was.
When these two met, I knew I would savor every minute of their journey to love. Caroline knew Jonathan was exactly the type of man who invited gossip and scandal. Exactly the type of man she should avoid. She intended to find a husband. She didn’t need a distraction. “Certainly not one with overwhelming virility and a piercing gaze that sent her pulse into a skitter.” Jonathan was determined to solve the first of his father’s demands and get on with his life. There was no room in his life for distraction. “No room in his life for a debutante. Never mind a young miss pursuing some idealist version of wedded bliss. And yet, whenever he so much as looked at Caroline, his carefully constructed plans for the future may as well have never existed.”
I loved watching these two anticipate each encounter with each other, baffled by why they felt the way they did. Their connection was intense and undeniable. It just took them a while to figure it out. Which made it even sweeter to watch their feelings awaken and their romance slowly build.
I’m hoping there is more planned for this series. I’m dying to know more about Powell and what exactly he’s up to. I’m hoping the fact that that particular tidbit isn’t answered is because there’s more to come.
If you’re looking for a charming, romantic story with excellent pacing, romance, and a little mystery, you’ll be delighted with this newest addition to the Midnight Secrets series.
Review by Amy for Book Obsessed Chicks
I have read the previous books in this series, liked the first but the next two were just so so. Unfortunately, this book follows the last 2. I found myself skipping pages to get to the end. 2 stars.
London's Most Elusive Earl is a delightful surprise addition to Anabelle Bryant's Midnight Secrets series turning her original trilogy into a well-rounded quartet. Readers will remember Jonathan Cromford, Earl of Lindsey, from London's Best Kept Secret. Now we learn why Lindsey is so elusive when it comes to women but as in all the most endearing romances, Jonathan is redeemed by the sincere love of the right woman. Caroline, a debutante newly entering London society, is on the search for a love match and is both titillated and wary when she finds herself increasingly attracted to, of all people, the rakehell, Lindsey. One of Bryant's strengths is creating characters that her readers care about. They are flawed and take risks that are outside of the strictures of society. We want to see them succeed and rejoice when they overcome the emotional and circumstantial barriers that threaten their ultimate happiness. Bryant also masters tantalizing love scenes. She builds tension and anticipation throughout the story teasing both readers and characters with the promise of fulfillment.

Despite Bryant's attention to details of the era (arrack punch, Negus), there was one inconsistency regarding Lady Henley's soon to be born child, described first as a second child then subsequently, as her first child. I did think the resolution to Lord Darcy's problems was a little too easy but not everything is resolved neatly at the book's conclusion and that just makes me want to read more about these characters and their future together.
London'g Most Elusive Earl was a DNF for me--the characters made no sense, and it was hard to feel sympathy for the elusive earl, who acted put out and petulant with his father for the several chapters that I did read. The writing didn't seem to flow, and it was a struggle for me to make my way through the novel. When the heroine first sees the earl, he's in a torrid embrace with another woman, trying to finagle an invitation to said woman's home not for an affair but to steal a painting back...because of his father's will? What? And then the heroine feels instalust for what should seem to her like an immoral allycat? What? I'm so confused. My recommendation: Make yourself elusive, and spend your quarantine reading something else. (I know, I know, this is someone's novel baby, and I'm sorry, but I can't recommend.)

Netgalley generously provided an ARC; all opinions are by own.
Nice story with likable characters.  However, I have to admit I was unable to connect with either the H or the h.  I think part of the issue was that there wasn't anything that seemed to draw them together, to link them, except a strong physical attraction.  Okay, this is a romance and it isn't that unusual, except it ran completely contrary to both characters nature and what they both kept saying throughout the book.  That might work if there was a spark  in their personalities, some chemistry, that drew them to each other and not just sex.  Some tension or resistance to the attraction but there wasn't really any.  Also, there are just too many words!!  We spend far too much time reading about what the characters are thinking -- often contradictory and definitely repetitive. While there is nothing gothic about this book, the prose belonged to the genre of gothic romances or at least tortured souls who have been through some trauma.  Yes, I know the Earl had a horrible, abusive father but the only thing that made the Earl was resentful, which he droned on about internally over and over again with no further depth or development.  Not that being mistreated isn't cause for resentment but beyond telling us it made him into a rake hell, there's nothing else going on there.   And while introspection is important to share, it just dragged on and on for both characters.  We get it! He doesn't want to produce an heir; we get it, she wants a love match.  Okay already!   I know critiquing a book is easy; writing one a monumental achievement after a lot of work.  There is a good story here, it just need further development up front and more, much more, editing after it was written.
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

“I’d prefer if you’d call me Jonathan. No one does, so thereby you must.”

This was a very pleasant reading 😊, one that my tired quarantined brain was glad to receive.
The writing is deeply poetic at times (beautiful really), and the internal issues, the pain the main characters faced were very well drawn. Both felt… real.

Jonathan Cromford, Earl of Lindsay, is on a mad treasure hunt to obtain his inheritance after his father’s passing. Reputed as a rake through town, much of it was a mask he hides behind. When debutante Lady Caroline starts to challenge that, he finds himself drawn to her, without knowing how to react, except for following her.

Lady Caroline was interesting to explore – she might not be able to have children, and the discussion, the honesty and intricate way to describe her was new (at least to me) in historical novels. She was witty, very amusing and smart, longing for adventure: I felt that this longing was not so perfectly fulfilled, as I was expecting more of her involvement with the treasure chasing, it could have been fun to explore; but her relationship with Lindsay, the feelings involved, their story was so well drawn and sweet that it became more powerful than that, that it overshadowed it.

The ending (the conclusion of Lindsay’s secondary quest) felt a little rushed; but, then again, I never felt that was enough to rescind my good opinion. I loved reading it.
A new Earl must fulfill two requirements for the remainder of his inheritance settlement. A new debutante looking for a husband and love. A chance encounter at a ball in a study. Another ball, and another study. More encounters give the scandalous Earl something he's never had before. Hilarious masquerade ball! Very clever! Steamy hot encounters. A few unresolved issues. Resolved in the next book??? I hope so!
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book.
Loved this elusive Earl.
Jonathan has huge challenges to keep his inheritance.  His evil father wrote a will that requires him to meet demands or lose everything.   Caroline is a breath of fresh air. In London to find a husband,  but she will only say yes to love.  Their story is wonderful.  I really wanted things to work out for these two, and now I'm looking forward to the next book in this series!
The Earl of Lindsey, a renowned rake, falls hard for Lady Nicholson, a woman looking to marry well.  I immediately liked the lead characters and felt their chemistry, their romance was both sweet and steamy. The side characters were well fleshed out and felt necessary to the story. There is a side plot dealing with art forgery that I was really into but I feel like it was tied up too quickly and without much explanation. I really liked that this was a well-rounded story, more than 'just a romance,' with both Jonathan and Caroline having their own issues explored.
E-book provided by NetGalley in exchange for honest review.
Chapter 1 "meet cute" is adorable. Lady Caroline is new to London and search of a husband. At one of the many events, she takes refuge in a study where she is interrupted by the Earl of Lindsey and a woman. Lindsey and Caroline are drawn to each other right away, but it's more of dislike at first. They have a lot of obstacles to overcome, especially themselves. He has certain requirements to meet in order to claim his inheritance, including an art heist. She doesn't know if she can count on him, or if he's using her as a distraction.

Their burgeoning relationship is lovely and believable. Each is drawn to the other almost against their will at some points,and when they finally realize that what they have is real it's lovely.

As I said there are a whole lot of outside influences trying to keep them apart, well-meaning warnings and gossip, the whole art heist/painting search and their internal struggles.

I found some of the story was a little repetitive, with the author constantly reminding us of Lindsey's financial situation and inheritance requirements. I feel like a different Editor would have helped with this.

Aside from some clunky storytelling, I enjoyed this book. It's #4 in a series I didn't read, but did not find it hard to read as a standalone. Also, there are some loose ends which are not perfectly tied up, so book 5 is on its way I imagine.

Finally, it was refreshing to read about a couple with problems that were not instantly cured by their love. A good read which I would recommend. Thanks to Netgally for this ARC.

#LondonsMostElusiveEarl #NetGalley
As always I enjoyed the book  This one was a nice surprise. I thought it was beautifully written. The attention to detail, was great. The twists and turns this story took were unexpected and kept me on the edge of my seat. I never expected the outcome!
Good story!

As much as I really enjoyed the first two stories in Anabelle Bryant’s series ‘Midnight Secrets’ and liked the third one too, but found the 4th one ‘London’s Most Elusive Earl, less engaging and filled with details which couldn’t grab my attention. For this reason I have to give this book only 4 stars.

I received an advanced reader’s copy from Kensington Books through NetGalley. It didn’t influence my opinion!