Cover Image: Their Silent Graves

Their Silent Graves

A murderer who kills their victims by burying them alive in a coffin complete with a bell but without a clapper, so there’s hope for the victim but to no avail! How twisted and messed up is that?! Sooo right up my alley, and I loved it. The funny part is that this book is the seventh in the DI Harte series, and my dumass did not notice it, mostly because I could not (read: did not want to) see past the blurb. Lol. But oml, I loved it, so glad I decided to give it a read. It said on the cover ‘for the fans of Cara Hunter’ and it lived very much up to the expectation.

Very gripping and fast-paced, never a dull moment there. And even though it’s part of a series, it’s a perfect standalone too, I did not feel left out at all. Creepy from the get-go, set at the time of Halloween, the first two chapters gave off kinda Nordic noir vibes, complex and dark, and were good enough to hook me completely. I legit did not want to put it down. I do not usually enjoy reading inner monologues but the emotions were described so well in this one, it was very interesting to read. I really appreciate how enjoyable and it was, without any graphic descriptions despite the nature of the kills and the background story of the DI.

The ending is so satisfying and perfect, and I was not able to guess it at all. Loved it. And like any other series it left me wanting for more. I’ll be waiting for the next book in the series.

Thanks to Netgalley, author, and publishers for the eARC.
Detective Gina Harte is back! Oh, how I love this series!

This case explores one of my worst fears, being trapped in small spaces. The victims in this story are found buried alive, yikes! The killer is sadistic as they let the victims think that they have a shot at being saved. It takes time before the victims realize that nobody is coming!

As with the other cases, I couldn’t guess the identity of the perpetrator. The reveal was shocking and for the first time, heartbreaking. This case was personal for Gina as the unsub seemed to know about her abusive dead husband. This added more questions as I found myself wondering whether Terry was truly dead.

Silent Graves is another heart-pounding, captivating addition to the Detective Harte series. To better enjoy the series, you should read all the books in order. This series is one not to be missed!
Hang on tight! Carla Kovach has once again created a fast-paced, action packed thriller. Readers are instantly drawn in with the dark, creepy undercurrent and easily swept away by Kovach’s storytelling. While this is the seventh book in the Gina Harte series, it can be read as a stand-alone. Those familiar with the series will absolutely love the character arc for DI Harte and those close to her.  Highly recommended.

Thank you to #NetGalley and @bookouture for the ARC of #TheirSilent Graves which was read and reviewed voluntarily. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

#dontfreakout #jeeperscreepers #whodunnit #imnotscaredyourscared #bookstagram #bookblog #booktweets #kindlegoals #readreviewrepeat #ginaharteseries #policeprocedurals @CKovachAuthor @carla_kovach
Their Silent Graves is the seventh instalment in the Detective Inspector (D.I.) Gina Harte series of gripping police procedurals, set in the fictional Midlands town of Cleevesford. Two sixteen-year-old girls are in high spirits as they make their way to a school Hallowe'en party and to save time decide to take a shortcut through a thicket of woodland. This is where they stumble upon a most disturbing scene; a coffin buried in a shallow grave is opened to reveal a decaying corpse. Tied to the burial chamber is a strange length of rope and a bell without its clapper, making it impossible to ring, at the end. It comes across as a sick joke but then they recall local scare stories about an incident which apparently happened 12 years ago; a young woman was buried alive by her so-called friends. The police are called and DI Harte and her team descend upon the location. They discover deeply dug nail marks on the inside of the coffin leaving absolutely no doubt that the woman was very much alive when she was placed into it. The investigation kicks into high gear to properly identify the victim. And then... another grave is found...

This is a compulsive, addictive and fast-paced police procedural with a well-crafted plot and an interesting and engaging cast of characters. It's well written with a plethora of twists, turns and red herrings to throw you off the scent and right from the beginning I was hooked. I feel it is probably better to have read the rest of the series beforehand as Gina’s past and personal life plays such a substantial role in these books that gaining a better understanding would be preferable to just simply jumping in feet first, however, this isn't a strict necessity. The fact that it is primarily told from protagonist Gina’s perspective makes it easy to follow with no unnecessary filler or padding, and the identity of the perpetrator is kept hidden until the big reveal where the tension is ratcheted up ready to uncover the mystery behind the brutal killings. A highly entertaining and absorbing police procedural, which I would certainly recommend. Many thanks to Bookouture for an ARC.
Another brilliant book from Carla Kovach.
The book begins with the discovery of a shallow grave in the woods. Whilst the body has been buried in a coffin, it looks like the person has been buried alive.
Gina and the team know they’re up against a twisted killer but when another body is found, they have to find the link between the victims.
At the same time, Gina is receiving cryptic letters that refer to her relationship with Terry and is concerned as she thought no-one else knew what he did to her.
The Press soon get hold of the link to Gina and she tries her best not to let it get to her.
Following a near death experience for Gina she discovers a vital clue to the identity of the killer but it’s not an easy arrest to make.
Other people’s true colours are shown and I was pleased to see that this didn’t go unnoticed by Gina and she ensures action is taken.
This is a gripping crime thriller that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.
This is a heart racing ,thrilling read. The first chapter draws you in and makes you feel as claustrophobic as the victim. Gina Harte is again the lead protagonist and her own story is deeply entrenched with these murders making it all the more vivid for the reader. A clever and pulse quickening read.
I’d like to thank Bookouture and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘Their Silent Graves’, the seventh in the Detective Gina Harte series written by Carla Kovach, in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

It’s Halloween and as two teenage girls take a short cut through a wood they find a bell on a length of rope leading to a mound of earth under which is buried a coffin.  Detective Inspector Gina Harte is called out to investigate but when she starts receiving anonymous letters it becomes clear the killer is taunting her by making the crime personal to her.  How can the killer know things about Gina’s past that nobody else knows except herself and DCI Chris Briggs?

‘Their Silent Graves’ is a fast-moving and exciting thriller with lots of action, interesting characters, a number of possible suspects, and twists and turns from the first page to the last.  The story has plenty of suspense, drama and tension and kept me guessing right up to the end.  I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading more about Gina Harte, her loyal and hard-working team, and her relationship with Chris Briggs.  I always look forward to reading a Carla Kovach thriller and - no rush, Carla  - but I can’t wait for the next one.
#TheirSilentGraves #NetGalley This is the seventh book in this excellent series. As always, they are perfectly capable of being read as a standalone but it does give you a broader perspective if you understand the background to Gina's character. Easy to read, with short chapters and plenty of action, keeping you turning the pages way into the night.  An ending I didn't see coming which is always a bonus! A brilliant 5 stars, cant wait for the next in the series.
Their Silent Graves by Carla Kovach
This book 7 in the series, and my usual disclaimer, I have only read book 6 previously.  This book works brilliantly as a standalone,  with plenty of references to Gina's back story, but I enjoyed this book so much, I want to go back and read from the start.
I love Gina, a brilliant,  although flawed detective. The storyline was brilliant,  and I loved that its set around Halloween. This book starts with a bang, two teenagers finding a shallow grave, and they are being watched from a stranger in the shadows.
I suspected everyone! Then another grave was found.  I flew through this book, just needing to find out who did it.
Well written,  brilliant plot, and likeable main characters.
Loved it, 5 stars for me.
I went into this knowing that it was book seven in a series, but all my research lead me to believe this could be read as a stand-alone book. My research was right, and it is a book I really did enjoy!

It starts with two horrific scenes from the past:

A coffin maker sees his friend lock his wife in the shed after one of his regular wife beatings.

A teenage girl, new to town, is buried alive in a coffin after attending a party.

We then cut to two teenagers on their way to a Halloween party who decide to cut through a wooded field as a shortcut. They come across a bell stuck in a tree branch. Attached to it is a piece of rope and they decide to follow it. They come across a freshly dug grave and after digging hit the top of a coffin...

Detective Gina Harte is on the investigation of the victim who was buried alive in a coffin. She soon realizes she had an encounter with the victim just a day or two before. The idea that the victim was buried alive also brings up anxiety about her own past.

We also meet Cherie. Cherie is a mess. She is back to her drinking ways, trying to navigate marriage and motherhood while secretly becoming an alcoholic again. The Halloween holiday is not helping her mental chaos, as it seems to be the trigger of her downward spiral. To top it all off, her childhood friend has gone missing, and her old high school crew are being vague yet weirdly worried about what could have happened to their missing friend.

This book alternates perspectives and it really kept me on my toes. Though I did have hard time keeping track of characters at the beginning, it didn't take me long to keep everyone straight. The author did a wonderful job setting scenes and building on the characters.

This book is full of mysterious twists and suspenseful turns. I kept trying to figure out what exactly all the characters had that connected them to this grizzly murder and it wasn't until the end that I finally put it all together.

I am so glad I read "Their Silent Graves" by Carla Kovach because I truly enjoyed every word and I plan on reading books 1-6! I cannot wait to dive into this series!

"Their Silent Graves" is being released September 17, 2020 here in the U.S. and I suggest ordering it now! A 5-star read for me!

Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for allowing me an eARC to read and give my honest review!

Happy Reading!
My thanks to Bookouture for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘Their Silent Graves’ by Carla Kovach in exchange for an honest review.

This is the seventh in her D.I. Gina Harte series of police procedurals set in the fictional Midlands town of Cleevesford. I have read all but one of the previous books in the series and rated them all highly. However, Kovach provides enough background on her characters so that readers new to the series won’t feel lost.

The title containing ‘graves’ gives a strong indication of the theme of this outing for Gina and her team. On their way to a Halloween party, two teenage girls take a shortcut through a patch of dense woodland on the outskirts of town. Coming across a bell attached to a length of rope they follow it and find a mound of freshly laid earth. Recalling local legends of a woman buried alive, they claw at the ground and find a shallow grave. They run screaming unaware that a figure is watching from the nearby shadows.

As the police investigate this grisly find, another grave is found. The national press descend with claims of a serial killer in the Cotswolds adding to Gina’s troubles, especially as details of the abuse she suffered at the hands of her late husband are revealed by an ambitious reporter. How did she learn this closely guarded detail about Gina’s earlier life?

Poor Gina. She is naturally protective of her private life so this was especially hard for her.

Again, Kovach has delivered a solid police procedural that proved very engaging and kept me guessing as to whodunnit and why. Overall, a highly recommended novel and overall series.
Halloween is the perfect time for ghost stories and creepy tales. In Cleevesford there is an urban legend of a girl being buried alive in the woods, and her ghost haunting the woods after her death.
As urban legend comes to life, dectectives race to find their elusive "Coffin Killer" before the body count rises.

This book has all the makings of a great scary crime book. I am a sucker for ghost stories and urban legends told in the dark on Halloween, a setting for a classic scare. Victims clawing their way to the surface from a splintered wooden coffin are like a cherry on top of the terrifying sundae.
I wanted to like the main detective, Gina, but her character fell flat for me. Nothing screamed edgy with a need for justice with her. Her past horrors are sprinkled into the story, but they're too sparse to flicker interest. Her coworkers were just as uninteresting.
I did like the choice for the killer. Not one i would have chosen, and definitely wasn't expected. I did feel they could have been darker to fit the image of a coffin killer. Her letters were cryptic but not really threatening. The whole bridge scene was unnecessary. Keeping it at the burial site would have been creepier. But I did appreciate how the whole story tied together with her, and her father.
I loved the idea of the story and wish it were less crime thriller and more psychology thriller. It was slow to get moving and didn't really hold my attention until chapter 68.  I did not realize it was part of a series, maybe if I had and read the other books I would have felt something more for the main character.
The last few chapters were the most gripping part of the book. I wish the build up to get there was just as great.
Creepy ,police thriller set around Halloween. Lots of twists and turns before the case is solved. Great characters
Two teenagers cut through the woods to get to Halloween party. Now they wish they hadn't gone that way. After tripping and discovering a body.
This book 7 in series it's a dark, suspenseful, and thrilling.
3.85
Their Silent Graves is the seventh book in the consistently riveting DI Gina Harte series, set in the fictional English town of Cleevesford. I read a LOT of crime fiction, and am usually pretty good at guessing whodunnit, but Kovach manages to bamboozle me every time - all while playing by the “rules” - so clever! This one ups the creepiness factor by being set around Halloween and featuring murder by one of the scariest ways to die - being buried alive. As with the previous books, each mystery stands alone, and you get all the backstory you need, but you’ll always get more from a series by reading them in order and this one is no exception.

Two teenage girls taking a short cut to a Halloween party find a body buried in a coffin in the woods, with a piece of string connected to a silent bell. Troubled detective Gina recognises the victim from an earlier altercation, and is shocked to receive a letter from the killer, mentioning a traumatic event in her own past, which she thought nobody knew about. Meanwhile a group of old school friends come together for an annual reminder of the terrible secret that binds and torments them, unaware that they could be next...

While this is mostly told from Gina’s third person point of view, some chapters are in the killer’s voice, and others follow one of the potential victims - or is she? - an alcoholic desperate to keep hold of her young children while her marriage and life are falling apart. I found this a bit confusing at first but once the story gets going it all made sense. I was pleased to see that Gina is making slow progress in her battle to get over her dark past, and maintain a friendship with poor patient Briggs. I’d actually love to read a chapter from his POV to understand what he sees in her, as she’s so prickly, flighty and difficult, with no sense of humour - it can’t be her looks as she’s frequently described as unkempt, badly dressed and looking exhausted all the time. Obviously from a reader’s perspective she’s a brilliant detective who gives her all to her cases, but that’s not usually what a bloke looks for in a lover!

I have commented previously that I would like to see Gina’s team be developed more as characters, and this instalment certainly makes a start in delivering this. A series is all about the recurring support characters, not just the main protagonist, so at least we learn a little more about some of the others. Conversely I was glad that Gina’s obnoxious daughter doesn’t appear. Once more I feared for her poor cat Ebony - and for a cute sausage dog called Lola, but happily nothing bad happens to them. I did have to agree with annoying journalist Lindsey that there does seem to be an awful lot of crazed killers operating out of one small town!

Overall this was a well written, intelligently plotted police procedural with a satisfying reveal and ending, and as ever, a beautiful cover image. 4.5 rounded up for successfully keeping me in the dark (pun intended.) Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC which allowed me to give an honest review. Their Silent Graves is published on September 17th.
Their Silent Graves is my first read by Carla Kovach. DI Gina Harte, is the central character, in this seventh book in the series. I read the book as a stand alone, but I would like to read the previous six, to help me understand Gina’s complex history, and then more of her character and relationships.
We start the book with two flashback chapters, which we know must be crucial to the solving of the crime. Despite having this, and plenty of clues along the way, I still didn’t work out “whodunnit” in this twisty, page turning read. All of the clues, and things that made me wonder, were neatly tied up by the ending. I hate being left with a feeling of unfinished business at the end of a book, thankfully, everything is resolved in this psychological thriller.
The murderer is nicknamed The Coffin Killer by the local press. Being buried alive in a coffin, is one of everyone’s worst nightmares. The plot uses this fear, and perverts the Victorian safety coffin, to further torture the victim.
The book has left me thinking about justice. How people who escape their own justice for crimes committed, can cast a long shadow for many years. Not just over their victims, but also on the lives on those committing crimes. Time, revenge and life can then turn these rolls around, and at that point, Who is in the wrong? Who deserves to be punished? When is justice served?
The release date of the book, in time for it’s Halloween setting is perfect, and I found the dedication of the book very thoughtful.
5* from me.
Brilliant series. I loved everything about this book. It is really cleverly written with great characters. I read this book in one sitting. I had to know what happened. I hope there are more books to come in this series.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
a Gina Harte book that I haven’t loved! And this one was just as good! I didn’t have a scooby who the culprit was - and I am hugely concerned that there are more murders in Cleevesford than in New York city though! This time an aggressive homeless man is found in a coffin apparently buried alive! The killer believing themselves to be a kindred spirit if Gina, knows a lot about her previous life with Terry, which causes her to look at her relationship with Biggs more closely! I am willing them to get together properly, and have been since book 1! There is the sinister backdrop of Halloween too which makes the whole buried alive thing a bit spookier! All in all another brilliant book in this series by my fave author!
This is book 7 of the Detective Gina Harte series and it was the first of the series I have read (yes I like to do things backwards!) however you can definitely read this as a standalone. But I do want to go back now and read the others as I want to learn more about Detective Harte and her past.

It begins with a flashback to 12 years ago, as we learn about something terrible that happened. After that it’s written in the present day as we follow the investigation of the crime scene discovered by two young girls.

Each chapter gives you a little more hints or clues to the crime and will have you guessing and suspecting absolutely everyone which is what I loved the most. I just couldn’t work out who it could be. The chapters were addictive, each leaving you on a cliffhanger which meant I just had to read on.

The twists and turns were perfect and the ending tied everything up with a satisfying conclusion.

Overall if you enjoyed Cara Hunter’s books then you’ll love this as it’s written in a very similar style and is just so addictive!
🎃 Halloween capers turn cruel and deadly: true whodunit🤔

4-4.5🌟stars
The culprit is cruel and remains a big question mark right through to almost the last chapter and the cagey actions of a group of friends keep you guessing at the origins of the killer's anger.  With plenty of twists and red herrings, this Carla Kovach thriller is a true whodunit.  Tons of suspense, shady characters and, leading the investigation, a very messed up DI.

The thrill was there at the end but I did not enjoy this DI Gina Harte thriller as much as the previous one I read despite the engaging murder mystery. I found the vagueness and switching time periods, POVs and scene at the start of the book confusing.  As the story built momentum this was less of a concern for me.

Gina's personal life and history often overshadowed the murder case she was trying to solve.  I like knowing something about the lead and secondary characters' lives outside work in a police procedural but I prefer where their private lives are supplemental and not a main focus.  Gina has so many personal issues that it's hard for me to understand how she got past vetting as a police recruit!  Kovach did a good job of meshing Gina's haunting past with the case but I could have done without Gina's freakouts and flashbacks.

Thanks to publisher Bookouture and NetGalley for providing an advance copy of the book;  this is my voluntary and honest review.