Cover Image: Fight or Submit

Fight or Submit

Fight or Submit is the memoir of Grand Chief Ronald Derrickson of the Westbank First Nation. It’s an amazing story full of his accomplishments as a businessman, a leader/advocate for his people, and those who fought against him (including as assassination attempt). Derrickson writes in a very straightforward way, laying out all the facts and figures and everything he’s accomplished. It’s not a memoir I would commend for it’s flowery, poetic language. However, I think it’s a perfect reflection of who he seems to be as an Indigenous man with decades experience as a businessman and one who essentially goes to battle with the Canadian government many times over. And I’m glad to have read his story. It had me thinking about all the ways our peoples are fighting for land and treaty rights across North America right now. It’s an inspiring story, and great motivation to never give up the fight. Colonization is designed to beat us down and make us feel small, but this memoir felt like a call to recognize our value to our communities, the land, and what we are capable of.
Fight or Submit is a discussion about choosing your battles.
Standing tall in two worlds is quite an interesting debut by this new author for me : Ronald M. Derrickson which led him to become a successful Canadian indigenous businessmen yet I was unaware of his stature or accolades till today.
I've read numerous books on success, leadership, skill making, and networking and for me this increased revenue utilizing the all 'me' theory didn't work.
The assassination attempts on his life were frightening I'm sure and his life has certainly not been an easy road, and certainly not for anyone especially women and minorities, but for me it didn't captivate my mind.
Thank you to Ronald, the pub, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.