When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain, much like Nghi Vo's first novella, continues the story of the cleric Chih, who finds themselves and their companions trapped by a group of shapeshifting tigers whose history, they discover, is more nuanced than Chih had known. Taking place over the course of Chih's telling of the tiger's story and the tigers's corrections to their history, When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain is an entertaining and emotional novella about the stories we carry within us and the way in which history can get twisted away from the truth. A solid recommendation for anyone looking for a quick and evocative read about the importance of storytelling and truth.

Empress of Salt and Fortune was my favourite book of the year so far, what made When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain one of my most anticipated reads. It did not let me down for a second and has become my newest comfort read.
I finished it in one sitting during my work break, and I'm already thinking about re-reading it.
We follow Cleric Chih in another one of his travels, this time without Almost Brilliant (I missed him), where they encounter a group of tigers. And so, a night of storytelling ensues.
Although longer, it felt quite shorter than Empress of Salt and Fortune. Compelling, magical and fastpaced. We learn how stories are shaped by those who tell them to reflect their version of history. It was such a sweet tale with a refreshing ending and thought-provoking narrative.
I can only hope that we get more of Cleric Chih and Almost Brilliant.

Charming novella that details the scholar Chih spending a night of storytelling and terror when she is waylaid by extremely talkative tigers on her way somewhere else. Rich with detail and layers of narrative both spoken and unspoken. I could happily read a million of these.