Cover Image: Dark Tides

Dark Tides

This is the second story in the Fairmile series, although it can be read as a stand alone, it is best to read Tidelands first. This book continues the saga of midwife and herbalist, Alinor, and her daughter Alys and her children Sarah and Johnnie. Once again, Gregory paints a vivid picture of the Restoration period in England with rich, multilayered characterization and adventure. Thank you NetGalley, Atria Books and the author for this eARC in exchange for my honest review. This book is available now
I have read many books from this Author and have enjoyed them all, this did not engross me as much as the first in the series did.  The character shift, felt disjointed and the character was so unlikeable that it made it difficult to read when you're already invested in the characters being deceived and manipulated.  Alys is so easily manipulated it was maddening.  The story build was positively lifted when Sarah became a focus, but despite enjoying the book on a whole, it did not grab me as much as the previous title in the series.  I will still read everything available from this Author and enjoyed this book.
This, the second book in the Fairmile Series,  chronicles an English tradespeople family in the late 1600s as various branches spread out to Venice and the new colonies in America.  There are affairs, trysts, a suspicious death, forgeries, desires, all in an historical context.

The book is an excellent portrayal of Restoration London among the trades class,  paralleling that with the rise of New England in the colonies.
The characters are well developed; the story engrossing
It would be a five star read except for some implausibilities in the Venetian storyline.

A shout out to my husband, a fan of historical fiction,  who read this!

Thanks to NetGalley and Atriabooks.
This was not my favourite. I found the gullibility of Alys Stoney when it came to Livia was completely unrealistic and out of character. It was hard to swallow that a family that has had to work hard their whole lives coming from a shack  to a successful merchant operation would so easily risk their fortunes for a clearly conniving woman they don’t know from a whole in the ground. I’m happy I read it to get to the next book in the story which I enjoyed much much more!

Thank you net galley!
I enjoyed reading Tidelands, and I was excited for the opportunity to read more of James' and Alinor's story. I enjoyed that we got to see so much more of other characters' stories, but this was also a downside for me, as I sometimes wish I was reading about someone else. While I didn't enjoy this as much as the first book, I still thought it was a good read
While not my favorite Philippa Gregory novel, and not as captivating as Tidelands, Dark Tides was certainly interesting!

Livia was insufferable from the very beginning, which is testament to Gregory’s writing prowess. Because of that, I found myself preferring Ned’s story line, which gave me a lot of things to look into myself.

However, all of that changed when Sarah took off to Venice and discovered the truth! I’m intrigued to read the next novel to see if James has any redemption in his future.
Ive read many Philippa Gregory books and loved them all.  Her stories are populated with richly developed characters with well defined back grounds.  She weaves them into the eras with such a deft hand, you'd swear you were reading a history book.  This is book #2 in the Fairmile series after Tidelands.  I read both books and feel that the characters and their life stories are much richer for having read both.  Alinor is such a strong character you would expect her to rise and overcome all tragedies.  Following her family's history takes us through some of the most exciting times in the era.  I'm always astonished at how well Ms Gregory manages to pull the reader into the story.  Their triumph is ours, their challenges, ours to solve.  It's not clear if there is a 3rd book in the series, she has left plenty of open doors to take us through.
Reading a Phillipa Gregory book is like an enthralling history lesson. You hunger for more and can't wait for the next book. I totally felt this way for Dark Tides. It Felt like a lifetime of waiting and checking but then it arrived!! In no timey nose was deep in the book. It wasn't quite up to par with some of her other books but it was still a great read. She always takes me to a place I've never been and I feel like it's really happening.
You can never go wrong with a P. Gregory book, ever.
Just like its predecessor, Tidelands, this book felt very slow and I couldn't get into it or engage with the characters. I will try other series by the author since I've heard good things, but this one isn't for me.
It is rare for me to like a sequel more than the first, but here we are. This story picks up 21 years after where the first novel leaves off. Alinor has never recovered from the incident, and Alys is running a merchant warehouse, just as they planned. James suddenly shows up and wants to make amends with Alinor. At the same time, the Reekies receive news of Rob’s death, and his Italian widow, Livia, shows up. Ned has taken up in the New World, and has befriended the natives.

This story mostly follows Livia and her schemes, with Sarah (Alys’ daughter) as the hero. This one moved much faster than the first, and had much more intrigue. I enjoyed Livia’s constant scheming (even though I despised her) and Ned’s internal conflict.

All in all a good read with a fairly satisfying ending (although I wish I knew more about Ned).

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was slightly better tidelands, but it still felt like it was lacking...especially in regard to a strong male lead. The writing style itself was good as usual. I will still recommend philippa gregory as an author.
Phillips Gregory is one of my favorite authors! I have enjoyed a majority of her books! Tidelands was also an excellent novel, and I’m pleased that Dark Tides was a worthy sequel! I am interested in seeing where the characters go next! Phillippa Gregory is the queen of historical fiction!
I love Gregory’s writing style. I’ve read all her historical Tudor romances and her contemporary work. Dark Tides is in her historical whew house, haunting and thriller-like, I forced myself to take my time getting lost in this world of deception and mystery. In a word- it was delicious. A delicious tale made to savor.
“It’s bad news. It’s the worst news. She writes that Rob is drowned dead drowned. Rob’s wife widow says that she is coming to England with his baby. I write to you now as I can’t believe it as I know that you would want to know at once. But I don’t know what to write. Ned-you know that I would know if my son was dead. I know he is not. I swear to you on my soul that he is not. I will write to you again when she has come and told us more.

The book begins as Alinor writes a letter to her brother Ned that she has received news that her son, Rob, has died by drowning.
Livia, Rob’s wife but now widow, arrives from Venice to stay with Alinor and Alys.

Also during this, James Avery, a man that Alinor prefers to forget, arrives at their doorstop to begin a life with Alinor after 21 years.

Ned, who now lives in New England, is trying to find his way between is friendships with the Native Americans and the settlers he came with.

As a fan of Philippa Gregory’s work, this is not one of her best books. Although the time periods discussed in the books are quite interesting, this book just didn’t hit the mark. Also, the characters are just not likable and I found myself not really cheering for anybody to succeed.
I enjoyed this at least as much as the first book in this trilogy and I thought the part in the New World was as interesting as the events in the Old World. I am looking forward to the last part of this series and I hope my guess is is right as to who will be the focal point of that book. I also hope the bad person in this book will get her comeuppance. Can’t wait!
I have read a lot of books by this author and I found this book to be lackluster in comparison to prior titles.  I really liked the first book to this series and was really excited to read this one.  At the beginning you find that Alinor's family and Ned have all relocated and moved on.  Alinor's family still has a warehouse business and are still very poor.  Ned is running a different ferry.  I really wish there would have been some sort of reminder of what had happened in the past book as it did take me a while to become interested in the story.  Livia's entrance into the family has provided some drama, however is also extremely dull and just drags on.  The part where Sarah goes on her mission just ends up being rushed and seems extremely ill planned and just easy.  This book was just ok for me and I am not really sure if I will read more in this series..  Thanks for the ARC, NetGalley.
I really enjoyed this book!  I received this Arc from netgalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
I have read several of Ms. Gregory's books. They have been centered around palace life and royalty. This book is different in that. It deals with a mysterious man who appears in a seaside shipping port town.in England. . A second story line deals with a man who has dealings with some Indians and life in America.. The book is a good read and well written.. The worst thing I can say about her books is that they are usually long.. I would enjoy them more if she could cut out about 50-100 pages to pick up the pace. However, having said that, I still read them and enjoy them.
I am a BIG fan of Philippa Gregory's writing and the second book in the Tideland series didn't disappoint!  If you haven't read one of her books yet.....what are you waiting for?
Another masterful tale from Philippa Gregory, as she continues the Tidelands series. She transports readers to the times of kings, castles, witchcraft and mystery. I can never get enough Philippa and her colorful female characters striving to find survive in time when men ruled and women were ruled.