Cover Image: A Sprinkle of Sorcery

A Sprinkle of Sorcery

This sequel to A Sprinkle of Magic brings the Widdershins sisters back with all-new villains. The magic and adventure continue on and fans of the first book will be thrilled to hear more about this world.
Thank you to HMH Books for Young Readers and NetGalley for providing me the opportunity to review this title.

I was very excited to jump back into adventures with the Widdershins sisters. I really enjoyed the folklore in this book, it reminded me a lot of the The Tale of Three Brothers in Harry Potter. Unfortunately most of the characters fell flat for me in this book. I liked the villain in the first book better, and I wasn’t as drawn to Willow or Spit as a supporting cast to the Widdershins sisters. I also thought that this book recycled the plot from the first book. I’m hoping the next book takes on a new story line, one where Charlie doesn’t need to be kidnapped in order for the girls to go on an adventure!

I continued to be annoyed by the characterization of the three sisters. Fliss' only character trait is that she is pretty, while Betty (who has frizzy and curly hair, making nowhere as pretty as her older sister, according to the writer) doesn't have much personality either. Charlie stops the sisters from being entirely one-dimensional, but she isn't around for most of this book.

I also don't understand why the Dad did not feature even though his returning played quite a large part in the ending of the first book. I feel like the writer forgot a lot of what happened in the first book, making me wonder what the point of A Sprinkle of Sorcery is.
Betty, Fliss, and Charlie are back for another magical adventure in book 2 of this warm haunting series. After finally breaking the curse in book one, the Widershins family is hoping to finally leave the haunted prison isles of Crowstone, but before they get very far in the process, a little wisp of a girl washes up on their doorstep, desperate for help. With their characteristic bad luck, the three sisters are swept up in a story full of sorcery, ghosts, pirates and danger as they discover that not everything is as it seems and sometimes hope is stronger than fear.
I loved Betty and her sisters in the first book, and I'm glad to see the skill Michelle Harrison uses to capture their distinct personalities in this story as well. Many children's books suffer from the tragic conclusion that all children are basically the same, but Betty, Fliss, and Charlie are instantly recognizable and believable. The story itself is spooky and has some peril, making it all the better when beautiful and wonderful things happen. Though not for the faint of heart, this story is ideal for middle-grade audiences who like high-stakes and unpredictable magic.
I was not aware that this was the second book in the series and it would have been more enjoyable if I had read the first book I’m sure. Overall I loved the intro about the witch and the sisters were all likeable fun characters. I will have to read this whole series now because I feel like I missed a lot.
Book 2 from the Pinch of Magic series is out and look at that cover! I really enjoyed Pinch of Magic and thought it was a great book for kids who loved Harry Potter and want more magic. Book 2 was a bit slow at the start but it picks up and is just as good as book 1. For me this was probably a favorite because it has folklore in it. I love fairytales, folklore and myths and kids do to.  A solid book about sisters, friendship and more!
Thank you NetGalley for an advanced copy. I did not read the prequel, but that shouldn't be a problem for readers. Adventure and magic always delight, and kids who love to read will like this. I love the theme of sisterhood in this book.
Magical! Delightful! Adventurous and wonderful! What a truly charming and enchanting tale. The characters, magic, and (secrets) are just about everything a reader could want.
This is a Magical Middle Grade book, and this is the second book in A Pinch of Magic series. I have not read the first book in this book series, but I did not feel lost. I fall in love with these characters fast, and the characters where very developed. The storyline was so great, and it made you want to keep reading. This book had me guessing what was going to happen while I was reading it. This was a fun and magical story with great characters that have so many different personalist. I feel this book would be great for 10 years old to adults, and I really think that this is a middle grade book that adults would also really enjoyed. Also, the cover of this book is so pretty. I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher (Simon & Schuster Children's UK) or author (Michelle Harrison) via NetGalley, so I can give honest review about how I feel about this book. I want to send a big Thank you to them for that.
You might have heard buzz the last few years about the Widdershins books by Michelle Harrison. These tales of sisterhood, adventure, mystery, and magic received high praise in the UK before finally releasing in North America with gorgeous new covers. That praise is well deserved, especially for A Sprinkle of Sorcery, a sequel that truly dazzles.

The book starts as the prison bell rings in Crowstone to alert the locals a prisoner has escaped. Now free from the curse that trapped them on the island, the Widdershins have been trying to sell their tavern and venture out in the world but it seems they are still plagued by a curse of bad luck. With the bell ringing, they start to lose hope realizing it will only deter the only potential buyers and that maybe Crowstone is where they're meant to stay. Late that night the girls discover a young girl hiding in their yard and realize she must be the escapee the warders were looking for. Compassionate, they let her in the house to warm up but this only brings trouble for the Widdershins as loud knocks bang on their door. When Charlie is mistaken for the escapee and taken away, Fliss and Betty set off a wild adventure to save their sister, With only one clue, a magical map, and local legends as guidance there's no telling what the journey might hold. Danger lurks everywhere with kidnappers, pirates, and wisps ahead but our heroes will stop at nothing to save their sister and help the mysterious child clear her father's name.

Where I wasn't sure how I felt about A Pinch of Magic or where a sequel could go, I absolutely adored A Sprinkle of Sorcery. It felt less dark and more adventurous with higher stakes. Sisterhood is placed front and center as the two eldest journey together in search of the youngest which gave opportunity for the charm and humour sibling relationships hold. The legend woven within is engaging, leaving you eager to see how it will all connect. Overall, it's a thrilling magical read that will leave you eager to jump on The Travelling Bag to set sail for the next adventure with the Widdershins.  .
Kids are going to enjoy this story! I think maybe 3rd grade up. What is not to love about likable characters, magic, adventure, just lots of fun! Kids who love fairies, unicorns, harry Potter will likely enjoy this book. Fun , quick, easy read.
ANOTHER STORY THAT I ENJOYED WAY MORE THAN I THOUGHT I WOULD! Now, I'm not saying I went into this book, thinking that I wouldn't like it. The story didn't let me go. Who doesn't like a story with a little bit of magic? Well, I will read any story that has a touch of magic or a lot of magic. Twist and turns. Real characters. Realistic stakes. Loved it.
The reason I requested this book is because I haven't read a middle grade in a really long time. I've read some middle grade graphic novels but that's it. I wanted to get back into the reason I became a book lover in the first place. However! When I started to read the book I realized it was a sequel. I am still really interested in reading this one because I think it looks so interesting, I am going to try and borrow the first one so I can start the journey!
Magic, stories, sisterhood and adventure - what more could you want? Brimming with characters that become friends and a world that feels so real you're there... Beautifully balanced with love, loyalty and fierce determination.

A stunning sequel to 'A Pinch of Magic', I was absolutely spellbound from start to finish. One of those rare reads, where the experience is so heart-stoppingly engrossing that you forget to breathe!
Betty and her sisters live a poor life on an island in an unspecified country. This story is not their first adventure. While the magical events in the story are well grounded, I was not drawn to the characters. Perhaps if I had read the first book in the series, I would have had a more positive reaction to the writing. The story moves at a fairly quick pace and there are a variety of good and evil characters. As I was reading the story, I did not feel an affinity for any of the characters, which I would say, is the main reason for giving this book only three stars.
This book was way better than the first one. It was fast paced and full of adventure. There were pirates, witches, and magic islands. And there was never a slow part, it started off fast and kept that speed throughout.

Betty is much more endearing in this book than the last one and I really liked her character. The only thing that bothered me a bit was that she kept saying she didn’t believe in the impossible, but the whole first book was about impossible things, so she clearly knew they could happen!

I also liked Spit and his struggles with right and wrong. His character growth was really interesting and fun.

The plot twist completely threw me, I had no idea that was coming at all. I was very pleasantly surprised that I was caught so off guard. Overall is was a fun, fast read and I’m looking forward to the next one!
A Sprinkle of Sorcery is the next adventure of the Widdershins sisters.  This is a middle grade (grades 4-8) adventure filled with twists and turns keeping the reader on their toes as the story goes on.  The sisters get wrapped up in more magic and unknowns as they try and save a runaway's father from peril.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.  All spelling and grammar errors are totally my own.
A sprinkle of sorcery is the exciting tale of 3 sisters, Fliss, Betty and Charlie. A stranger turns up at the girls home resulting in Charlie being kidnapped. The remaining two sisters go on an adventure to rescue her, meeting witches and pirates along the way.
 I haven't read the other books in this series, but after reading this offering I'll definitely be chasing them up. The plot was initially a little slow, however, the pace soon picked up and I was carried along with the Windershin's as they went on their adventure.
 My favourite aspect of this novel was the characters. I enjoyed the dynamics and relationships of the three sisters and the other characters that they meet along the way.
 Harrison's writing is beautiful and she brings the settings to life. I also loved the wide variety of strong female characters that push the narrative along.
 A wonderful novel that I think children would really enjoy. I would suggest that the books are read in order!
This was a great adventure sequel, which also worked well as a stand-alone books (if you haven't read the first one.)  An engaging plot keeps you turning the pages long past bedtime!
This is the second book in the Widdershins series of books and is just as bewitching and magical as the first - A Pinch of Magic.

I read A Pinch of Magic in February 2019 and loved Michelle Harrison writing style. I wanted so badly to read another Windershins sister’s adventure. And here it is!

This is amazing. There's new magic, new characters, a wisp!, a pinch of the old magic, a hag-stone, a map and of course Oi and Hoppit (but don’t tell Granny)...
And guess who gets kidnapped? - well...you will have to read it to find out.

I’m always recommending Michelle Harrison to parents/children at the library and I’m so glad I have a new title to trust in their hands. I love Michelle's imagination including the little details – I mean, she even provided us with a list of Granny Widdershins’ superstitions.
Her characters are always showing us that there are different ways of being brave, and that’s what we want in children’s books.

Jumping jackdaws, I need the third book!

Thank you to NetGalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for this amazing ARC.
The sequel to A Pinch of Magic is even better. A non stop mystical adventure with the witch-lite Widdershin girls, this beguiling Goonies-esque tail is utterly captivating.