Cover Image: Christmas on the Coast

Christmas on the Coast

This is book 3 in the Off Season series. Set on the Chesapeake Bay small town police officer, Paul is responsible for for his young son since his wife died of breast cancer. Amber Rowe is his neighbor and bonds immediately with Davey, his son. Amber is a writer and included Paul's wife's story in her book on facing death. Lots of pain and grief in their path of true love but it's Christmas. A tear jerker for sure. Can be read as a stand alone. I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This book is just what I want during this time a year, an easy, cozy romance book. This is not of the steamy variety rather it is rather docile but I appreciate that their substance and the background of the characters deal with important topics, such as PTSD, the mental aspect of surviving cancer and domestic abuse. This was a very quick read and I found myself getting emotional at times right along with the characters. My one complain about this book is the transitions. They were choppy and sometimes it was unclear which character was leading the narrative.

Nonetheless, I can imagine that this book would be popular with those library patrons that want an easy, feel-good read for the holiday season.
This is the first book I have read from Lee Tobin McClain and it won't be the last! I devoured this book and didn't want it to end. I loved Paul and Amber so much. I definitely recommend this book.
Christmas on the Coast by Lee Tobin McClain is the third book in her The Off Season series. This is an excellent edition to a heartfelt series.

Amber Rowe, single mother, author and cancer survivor, finds herself attracted to her new neighbor, Paul Thompson, after finding his four-year-old son, Davey, and his former K-9 dog, Sarge, in her yard late at night. Paul Thompson, single father, school resource officer and PTSD sufferer, is as attracted to Amber as she is to him. The two were previously, briefly acquainted when Amber interviewed Paul’s now deceased wife, Wendy, for a book about cancer. Both Amber and Paul are retreating from the budding relationship due to the possibility of a recurrence of Amber’s cancer. Neither one wants to put Davey through the loss of another mother. But the biggest impediment to the relationship is the secret that Amber is keeping.

McClain delivers a story that’s warm but not uncomplicated. The plot is interesting and believable. The characters are relatable. Little Davey and the dogs add charm and character. The scenery and the Christmas vibes add atmosphere. It takes more than love to get to happily ever after. In the end hope and faith are essential elements. Christmas on the Coast is another 5 out of 5 star read in this series, and I highly recommend it to all lovers of heartwarming romance.

There is an intriguing sneak peek of the next book in the series. I’m eager for its release.

My thanks to the author, HARLEQUIN – Trade Publishing (US & Canada) and NetGalley for the opportunity to read an advance copy of this book. However, the opinions expressed in this review are 100% mine and mine alone.
Amber Rowe has dealt with a serious illness several times and has been triumphant, at least so far. She interviewed other cancer patients and wrote a book about the struggle with this deadly disease. When the cottage next to her is rented, she is reacquainted with Officer Paul Thompson and his young son Davey. Amber had interviewed Paul’s wife Wendy for her book and is saddened to learn that Wendy had lost her battle. Paul is dealing with PTSD from an incident in his past and is part of the Healing Heroes project. An attraction develops between Amber and Paul, but a secret that she is unable to share with him may doom any chance of their future. Amber’s good friend, Mary Rhoades, has her own issues as she deals with an unexpected visitor to town who means to make trouble. I received an advance review copy at no cost and without obligation for an honest review. (by paytonpuppy)
Neither Paul, a police officer,  nor Amber, a writer, thought they would ever meet again- Amber interviewed Paul's now deceased wife Wendy for a book about cancer.  Now, though, he's brought his son Davey with him to Pleasant Shores while he participates in a program for those dealing with PTSD and Davey wanders over to Amber's place.  It's Christmas and the trio find this is a good place to work on healing except that Amber's heart is heavy- she knows a secret,.  No spoilers from me but this is a positive story that will cheer you up.  Thanks to the publisher for the ARC.  It's a good read.
I enjoy reading small town romance especially the ones with a Christmas theme. The small town in Lee Tobin McClain's book Christmas on the Coast is called Pleasant Shores and it a very charming small town. This story is the third book in this author's Off Season series. The overall arc in the series is based on the Healing Heroes cottage where a wounded hero, whether physically or suffering from PTSD or both, agrees to stay for three months of healing and agrees to do a volunteer project. In this story police office Paul Thompson is suffering from PTSD after an incident while on duty and settles into Healing Heroes cottage. Paul and his four-year-old son Davey meet Amber Rowe. Amber and Paul are wonderful characters and Davey is a cute little boy who adds a lot to the charm of this story. I enjoyed all their interactions. I really liked all the Christmas festivities in Pleasant Shores. The town has some different ones like Crabby Christmas and By Golly Be Jolly Christmas Shopper Night on the first Monday in December. This is a heartwarming and emotion-packed read and I think small town romance fans will enjoy it.
Paul and Amber meet again when Paul's son wanders over her cottage accidentally. Amber is a writer who had interviewed Wendy, Paul's deceased wife. Wendy confessed a huge secret to Amber who has kept it to herself. As they develop a relationship the secret will come out and damage is done. The writing was smooth and more characters add integral twists to the story line. I like doing the beach setting. It's the first in a new series so readers will see some characters again. Tomorrow is never premised so the lesson is live today with gusto and be grateful.