Cover Image: The Teachers March!

The Teachers March!

This nonfiction picture book tells the story of an early Civil Rights march that set the stage for future demonstrations. The text and illustrations are both vibrant and engaging, and because the story focuses on the experiences and emotions of people who were involved, it gives the reader a sense of how suspenseful, dangerous, and risky this undertaking was. This book also serves as a reminder that the Civil Rights Movement is not distant history, and helps readers see both how far we have come and how much further we still have to go.

Because this book has a lot of text, it is not ideal for picture book audiences. Younger children can experience this as a read-aloud once they have the attention span for it, but it is best suited for older elementary school or middle school readers. Parents should also be aware that even though the book has no graphic content, its suspense level and direct, unflinching acknowledgement of policy brutality could make this challenging for sensitive readers. Children who are younger, or who are very easily upset, would probably be best off reading this with an adult, especially if most of this information is new to them.

My only criticism of this book is that the ending is very abrupt. There is an author's note at the end to share more information and context, but the story cuts off so quickly that when I was reading my digital copy, I went back and thought that I had missed a page. I think that this book would have benefited from a better developed conclusion, but it is a great resource that makes history feel immediate and educates readers about an essential, little-known part of Civil Rights history.
A march in Selma, Alabama in 1965 to advocate for voter registration and civil rights was led by Reverend F.D. Reese, a teacher at a local segregated high school for Black students. This true story is a timely look at the act of protesting, describing how average people really can make a difference. The narrative is set down in several paragraphs per spread, but told in a way many children will understand when this is used as a classroom read-aloud. The text contains many quotations from Rev. Reese and other teachers who were interviewed for this book Dramatic full color acrylic on board paintings illustrate the narrative, similar in style to a picture book, featuring heavy brush strokes and clear facial expressions on the protagonists. The book concludes with a two-page detailed authors’ note on the research and interviews used for the book, photos of those involved, a timeline, and a long list of books and media used as sources.
This is a phenomenal book about the teachers march for voting rights. The timeline is easy to folllow and the narrative keeps the children engaged. This book is quite wordy, so I would recommend for kids in upper elementary and up.
An excellent look at an important part of Civil Rights history that is often overlooked. I particularly enjoy the style of the illustrations.
This is a really interesting book about an event I didn't know about! The Teachers March introduces us to the teachers of Selma, who risked their jobs to march for equal voting rights -- which were finally made official in 1965. Our country has a long way to go still, and that starts with listening and learning.
The Teachers March! is a powerful arrangement of word and image. Highly recommended for classroom use and reading for all ages. The content is relevant and well worth visiting again and again.
The Teachers March tells the story of the 1965 Teachers March for Black voting rights in Selma, Alabama. It is an excellent addition to a classroom or home library to teach about social justice, civil rights, and Black history. With simple text and colorful illustrations, it is a book that can spur a discussion about the 2020 election and Black Lives Matter movement, as well. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Advanced readers copy provided courtesy of #netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
"I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."
This historical picture book is great. It is beautifully illustrated and tells an important story. It would be a good addition to a school library.