Cover Image: The Last Tiara

The Last Tiara

I’m a huge fan of M.J. Rose and devoured this new one. Her style is so unique it defies categorization., deftly blending gothic mystery and romance with hints of magic realism which can’t quite be defined as such. Intriguing characters and storylines always meticulously researched and woven together in a way that builds drama and keeps the pages turning. How on earth does a writer imagine combining the fall of the Romanov dynasty in the early 1900’s with the secret city at Oak Ridge Tennessee in the 40’s? So creative and inspired.  I like how most of her books are linked with common elements like secret societies and the Etoile family of perfumiers, even if just in passing or secondary plot lines. And speaking of perfumiers, there’s always a strong sensuality in Rose’s stories, fully engaging the reader with the lives of her characters. Imagine being wrapped in a cozy blanket, your favourite scented candle burning, a glass of rich red merlot to sip, and let yourself be carried away to a beautiful place. Perfect book for doing exactly that.
New York City, 1948 – Sophia Moon kept her past from her family and now, after her death, her daughter is left with unanswered questions about the tiara she found hidden in the wall of her mother’s room. With the help of a local jeweler Isobelle is determined to find out more about her mother’s past and how she came to have a missing Romanov artifact.
Russia, 1915 – Sofiya Petrovich is discovering first love in the midst of simmering unrest. As things start to deteriorate in her beloved city all she has to live for is her job, the man she loves, and the hope that she will see her best friend, the Grand Duchess Olga, again.

This is beautiful historical fiction. The story is very original and interesting. It’s such a fun concept to take an actual historical mystery and make your own story out of it. The beginning of the book does start a bit slow as you get used to the back and forth time periods and read a lot of details and backstories. But once the tiara mystery is introduced into the story you get sucked in. The going back and forth to different time periods really tugs at your emotions because one time period is healing and thriving as the other is falling to pieces. It’s a bit of a roller coaster all the way to the end where you have both a satisfying and slightly sad ending. But it definitely works for this story. Sometimes you just need an imperfect ending.

I really enjoyed this book. These are two time periods I’m quite interested in and I liked having a bit of romance among all the history and sleuthing. And for those who want to know, there is some very mild sexual content.

If you like historical fiction with a bit of mystery and romance then this is a book for you!

Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read and review this book. The opinions are all my own.
I became acquainted with M J Rose years ago when she was writing about perfume and "perfume organs", and have enjoyed her versatility through the years.  This is yet another branch of her tree, dealing with Russian aristocracy, stolen jewels, and imposters.  Another winner, for sure.

I read this EARC courtesy of NetGalley and Harper 360.    pub date 03/30/21
The Last Tiara was so enjoyable.  MJ Rose did a great job with the slow reveal.  I liked how the story went back and forth between Sofiya/Sophia and her daughter Isobelle.  We got to see the two different relationships unfold and bloom.  There were times I worried about some of the characters and even cried a little bit at one point.  I loved all the twist and turns and surprises.  I can't wait to read more by M.J. Rose.
I wish to thank NetGalley and the Publishers Blue Box Press for allowing me to read an advanced copy of this book.  I have voluntarily read and reviewed it.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

This was a great story told from two eras.  The first begins in 1915 during the time of the Russian Czar and the second part is 1948 after World War II in Manhattan.  The two parts are masterfully woven together as the daughter discovers her mother’s secret about her father that she never knew and a mysterious tiara the daughter finds hidden in the walls of their apartment after the death of her mother.  The search takes her to the famous Faberge jeweler with more questions than answers.  The reader learns about life for the Jews in Europe during those hard days and the life at court before the war.    It then moves to New York and Oak Ridge as the young daughter serves as an architect on a team developing that important war city.  This is a brilliantly written romance, historical fiction and a mystery all woven around a gemless tiara and a daughter needing to learn more about the lives of parents that lived before her.

I am not new to M. J. Rose and once again she did not disappoint.  Thank you for another great story.  This is as good as it gets.  It is one you will read and remember.
Isobelle Moon is dealing with the death of her mother and has undertaken the renovating of their apartment to make it work better for her. During the renovation process, Isobelle finds a box hidden in a hollow in the wall. Inside the box are a jeweless tiara and the mystery of her mother's past. As Isobelle looks to solve the mystery surrounding the tiara, she comes to know her mother in a way she never thought possible.

A time-traveling story told between Russia in the early 1900s during the Romanov reign and New York City in 2004. The trade-off of chapters helps the flow of the story and helps us understand Sofia's story and how she came to raise her daughter in New York and her thought process in keeping her life in Russia a secret from her daughter. I found the story to be interesting and well-developed and kept my attention with ease. M.J. Rose is an author I would gladly read again knowing that I will get a story that makes me glad I picked up the book.
My favourite kind of historical fiction books are not the ones simply set in a specific time period, but ones based on or related to real events, real places, those which show that in depth research has been done rather than just “I’ll write a story set in WW2/the Victorian age” etc. This book builds on real fact (a missing Romanov tiara) and weaves historical facts from Imperial Russia & the last days of the Romanov empire, through depression era America into WW2 and post-war era in New York. We follow the start of the story through Sofiya’s eyes as a young Russian girl who had been playmate to the Imperial princesses & who is now a young women nursing wounded soldiers in the former Imperial Palace. We follow her as she leaves New York for a new life in USA though the story doesn’t elaborate on this period of her life which is a shame … The end of the story starts with Sofiya’s sudden death & her daughter Isobelle wishing she knew more about her mother’s life in Russia (which she was never willing to speak about), a desire which became stronger after finding a beautiful tiara frame – Isobelle understands why her mother sold the jewels, through necessity, but why keep the frame?
The book does lose pace a little in the middle, I think I would have liked to see a bit more of Isobelle finding out more about the tiara – the discovery of the photographs in the books, the visit to the jeweller could have been prolonged slightly and enabled a bit more suspense to build before the big avalanche of events that take the book to the final conclusion. The ending feels rushed – yes it needed to be fast paced but there is more that the author could have done to build suspense. (I think it was also odd that Sergei claimed not to have known how the tiara was acquired – surely he would have asked & been told of the gift … it would have wrapped the story/ownership up very neatly!)

I really enjoyed this book, and have to determine if the slightly rushed/weak ending is enough to knock off a full star – I don’t think it is but if I could give 4.5 stars I think that’s where I would ideally put this.

Disclosure: I received an advance reader copy of this book free via NetGalley. Whilst thanks go to the publisher for the opportunity to read it, all opinions are
I really enjoyed this story. It had mystery, romance, and a lot of action. I could not put this one down. I will be looking for more by this author.
What a fabulous story.  It is full of historical facts, intrigue, a touch of espionage, and lots of family love.  I did not want it to end!
This is a story of Sophia and Isobelle, set in post WWII New York. Isobelle discovers a secrret tiara belonging to her mother, Sophia, after her death. Thlis leads Isobelle to discover the truth about her past in Russia.

This novell has strong female characters, and a quick-moving plot. I really enjoyed it.
#TheLastTiara #NetGalley

“Every heart has its own skeletons.”

Special thanks to NetGalley and blue box press for providing me with ARC.

It's been awhile since i read a novel about Russia, the last one was *Anna Karenina*
This is the first novel to me by M.J.Rose but i loved it so much, it's heartwarming, i loved the history in this novel, the Russian Revolution and WWll
Beautifully and expertly written along the backdrop of WWII Russia and England as well as post war New York City. I kept hoping the secrets would be revealed before the end and found myself on the edge of my seat waiting for the other shoe to drop. This was an amazing book and I highly recommend it.
I received this arc thanks to NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.
I really liked this book. Not knowing much about Russian history, I found it very interesting. I did like Sofiya's story better than Isobel's but the way they finally tied together was great. I would definitely recommend.
I normally do not like books set in different time periods but I found this one easy to read and follow and recommend to historical fiction lovers.
This book is a MASTERPIECE! MJ Rose, just keeps getting better and better ! This historic mystery will keep you educated about the era it is written in, the characters are flawless in originality, also inviting you in with each chapter to know them alittle more, and seducing you into  thinking about “ What will happen next”.. sophisticated intelligent writing at its best. I for one will be purchasing several hardback copies for gifts! Her book covers are always gorgeous and mysterious! This one is a jewel 💎 of a book!
This is a romantic historical mystery told from two perspectives - Sofiya Petrovich’s in Russia leading up to and during the Russian Revolution and Isobella Moon’s in New York City in post World War II. The story alternates chapters between Isobella and her mother, Sofiya (Americanized to Sophia Moon on arrival in the United States).

I did enjoy the characters and the two story lines, each including a romantic relationship. There was a justified need for establishing settings and moods, however, too often excessive detail was given which interrupted the flow of the story. The mystery of the tiara was very casually woven through both women’s storylines and only intensified very near the end of the book, which gave a good “punch” to the story.

I received a free copy of “The Last Tiara” from NetGalley for my honest review. There are a few scenes that handle intimate relations without very graphic details, but in general, I can recommend this book to anyone who enjoys history and romance.
I loved the premise of this book, but I found the execution quite lacking, with too much exposition and stilted dialogue. I did enjoy the twist about the tiara's real purpose toward the end.
This book alternates between Russia at the time of the Romanovs and New York City after WWII as a woman tries to figure out her deceased mother’s mysterious past after finding a tiara . I thought the ending was a little too contrived, but it was a very enjoyable read
The Last Tiara by M.J. Rose Is about romantic love and parent child love. I found out what Midas Society is.And I learned a little about the Russian Revolution.
I received a copy of this from Netgalley. What a beautiful story! I love historical fiction & especially Russian history. This story did not disappoint. The characters  were described perfectly throughout this story.  The description of the jewels was absolutely wonderful!  I imagined myself holding & looking at each jewel.
A must read. Thank you!!