Cover Image: Farm, Fire & Feast

Farm, Fire & Feast

I did not read Farm, Fire, & Feast by Michael Smith as an educator, but as an avid cook.

Farm, Fire & Feast by Michael Smith had beautiful photography and some interesting recipes. The recipes seemed user-friendly and didn't include a lot of difficult to find ingredients (particularly in rural Midwest). Farm, Fire & Feast is one that I would check out from the library and try a few recipes from, but not one that I would feel needed to be added to my cookbook collection.
I was 8 years old when I fell in love with Anne Shirley and started dreaming of visiting Prince Edward Island. As an adult I have researched traveling there, but there is always something that prevents me from booking my trip. In one of my research rabbit holes I discovered the Inn at Bay Fortune and decided it had to be part of my PEI experience.

This book has made me want to fast-forward the experience. Reading about the Inn's farm, its terroir, and the locally source ingredients that inspire the Inn's chef (not to mention seeing the gorgeous photos that accompany the book) has brought to life what the Inn's culinary mission is.

The recipes themselves are a revelation that I will hesitantly try to recreate. All in all, this book has whet my appetite for the uniquely PEI experience that is the Inn at Bay Fortune.
Amazing photos and recipes! Really motivated me to start fresh, clean cooking. I enjoyed seeing the lobster and fresh seafood that is local to the region.  Also was impressed with the crusted halibut recipe.
This is very east coast Canadian. Amazing scrumptious looking photos. I loved the new take on French Toast it worked perfectly.  Lots of great new takes on classic Canadian dishes.
This books is cool in the sense the immerses you in the PEI vibes and you feel like you could actually be eating a meal at Michael Smith's Inn. Lots of interesting recipes with cool Canadian ingredients!

Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc for an honest review!
Date reviewed/posted: February 9, 2021
Publication date: May 4, 2021

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #secondwave is upon us, AND it is a loverly minus 26 degrees, snowy and icy where I am currently stuck living, so superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

Celebrity chef Michael Smith's extraordinary collection of recipes from his award-winning restaurant on Canada's east coast.

Famous for its miles of beaches, lighthouses, farmland, and seafood, Prince Edward Island is a destination for travellers and food-lovers alike. Nestled on forty-six acres of land overlooking the picturesque Fortune River near the eastern tip of Prince Edward Island, The Inn at Bay Fortune is a leading five-star country inn with the award-winning restaurant FireWorks offering a unique live-fire culinary experience with unforgettable meals enjoyed family-style at long feast tables.

The Inn at Bay Fortune is first an organic farm, encompassing eight fertile acres, multiple herb gardens, various permanent farm beds, five greenhouses, and a small orchard. As a restaurant with its own farm, award-winning chef Michael Smith brings his culinary knowledge and passion for flavour first to the restaurant and this stunning collection of recipes inspired by the ingredients of the Island and cooking with multiple fires daily to pull off the FireWorks Feast.

Featuring gorgeous food and location photography, Farm, Fire & Feast is an impressive cookbook. Smith's collection of unique recipes includes Iron-Seared Island Scallops, Oven-Baked Salt-Crusted Halibut, Beach Lobster, Wood-Grilled Butchers' Steak, Smokehouse Pork Belly, Wood-Roasted Spatchcock Chicken and Vegetables, Fire Garden Tacos, Sunchoke Fries, Potato Bacon Cheddar Tart, Strawberry Rhubarb Shortcake, and Wild Blueberry Grunt. Packed with recipes to cook over a fire, wherever possible, alternative cooking methods are provided so a recipe can be pulled off in an indoor kitchen--and all are well within the reach of the home cook.

This is a gorgeous cookbook full of wonderful photos ...not that I recognized Michael Smith as he looks a lot different than when I saw him last on the telly. (But don't we all?!)  The recipes are meant to be made over the fire and its open flame but there are adaptions for cooking indoors - but they will taste different as there is no smoke involved in a kitchen, unless there is an emergency and you are calling 911.  A great book for a fire lover in your home  The book comes out right in time for Mothers Day and Fathers Day, depending upon who is the pit master in your home - it would also make an excellent wedding gift along with some fire-pans and fire-tools, etc.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🍲🍲🍲🍲
An in-depth look at the the Inn at Bay Fortune, and the good of chef Michael Smith. The recipes are lovely and rooted in the food from the Inn’s gardens. However it’s the essays about the food production and preparation where this book really shines - that and the beautiful photography.
Excellent cookbook with gorgeous photography (of plating, prep work, and the local community) and a strong reference section covering local flora and fauna used in the PEI area by both settlers and the original indigenous communities. Most of the recipes themselves are fairly complex and require access to a fire pit, smoker, or large enclosed outdoor grill so this work would be of far more use to cook with access to a yard than, say, an apartment dweller. Given the location of the Inn at Bay Fortune there is a preponderance of seafood of course, but I was amazed by the sheer variety of vegetable and herb based dishes as well.