Cover Image: Find a Moose with Me!

Find a Moose with Me!

Find a Moose with Me! (A Countdown Adventure) by Suzanne Buzby Hersey is just the type of nature book that children need! The illustrations are calming and beautiful, and the inclusion of lots of plants and animals are so important. I love the hidden numbers, and the use of a countdown system to keep kids anticipating what comes next. A great find, and one to definitely add to your home library!
Find a Moose With Me! is an engaging picture book, combining a counting exercise with simple rhyming prose and charming illustrations. The storyline follows a young child, walking a Northern-American forest path with his parents, seeing (and counting) along the way some of the flora, fauna and other features one might come across in this landscape.
This title may be distinguished from the many to be found in the pre-school counting genre by the inclusion of a map at the start of the book, which may prove stimulating for keen junior cartographers and those with spatial proclivities. A surprising false ending adds a nice touch of realism.
Ashley Halsey's watercolour illustrations are whimsical and fitting to the subject matter, and contain lots of added extra details (lots of fun when reading aloud!).
I would recommend this book as a quality read-along for young (pre-primary aged) children, particularly those with an interest in animals and natural environments.
My thanks to the author, Suzanne Buzby Hersey, illustrator Ashley Halsey, publisher McSea Books, the Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA) and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this title in advance of its publication on 24 November 2020.
A fun adventure read for those working on counting, search and find, and exploring nature and the animals who live there.
Cute little book about counting!! I liked the illustrations too!

Thanks to Netgalley for letting me review this book!
As a note: this is a preliminary, simple review with key points only and I will be returning here in the next 2-3 days (still prior to publication) with a finalized review + link to social media postings.

Find a Moose with Me was a short and easy read for ages 2-4, in my opinion. My child is about 4 1/2 and was a little too old for this particular story.

What stood out positively: the watercolor illustrations are calm and gentle, they are appealing and engaging. The rhyming scheme worked decently well for reading aloud and the story was simple and cute. I could really see it appealing to early toddlers and preschoolers who are learning how to count.

Overall it was a light and fun counting adventure and while it was a bit too young for us after all, I would buy this type of book for the younger kids in my life.
This children's book was simple and cute. Each page had just the right amount of words to keep my toddlers attention, and the illustrations were beautifully done!
Not only is this story about an animal that most children love, a Moose, but as they walk along to find the moose they come across things in the woods to count. We loved the interactive play with the counting, my toddler loved pointing to each thing they came across and counting it.
Find a Moose with Me is a fun countdown adventure with beautiful illustrations of nature scenes and lots to keep little ones busy. It's a very engaging story book kids will love.

Many thanks to McSea Books and NetGalley for the advance copy.
I loved this and can see me reading to a child or children. This book I could interact while reading it. Besides counting along in the story, in the illustrations the numeral is shown and can be pointed out to the child.  A must read if you love learning and interacting with your child.
Find a Moose with Me! is a wonderful book. It is beautifully written and illustrated and my 4 year old son and myself loved it. My son loves counting backwards and forwards so he loved the counting in the book and he enjoyed finding the numbers hidden in the pictures.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for my ARC.
The selection of children's literature is very rich. Every day we see more and more new titles and to choose the right one is a really difficult task. Not only the pictures and the illustrations, the content should carefully be considered as to meet the needs of the children,
What attracted me at first glance was the term hunting, I liked that it was introduced not as hunting to catch or kill an animal, but hunting for photographs, I was delighted, because at a time when poaching and animal smuggling is part of our daily lives, we need to insert some empathy and understanding of the importance of wildlife from an early age. While reading the book with my little one, I realized that the book has a lot of layers, which additionally make it a great choice for everyone with children.
Not only will it help you introduce your child to the wildlife by looking at the great illustrations but it also contains a great counting rhymes that allows children to practice numbers and counting in a fun way. We counted up and we counted down. We compared objects and enjoyed  Oscar’s story. Going on a picnic or family walk through the woods is a great example of a family activity that you and your children can do. We will definitely do it this weekend.
The rhyming language structures are completely adapted for children, and if you are musical you can try to sing them. And the illustrations are honestly very sweet and interesting and will attract your attention, not just your child's. Definitely a great choice of picture book that should be part of every family library.
Counting picture book.  This story features a white boy named Oscar, who goes on a moose hunt with his parents. Along the way they count the various nature items and animals they find, starting at 10 and counting down.  The story is told in an ABCB rhyme scheme and the illustrations are very soft, almost like they were done in colored pencil (there is no art note on the verso to confirm or deny this). A cute book about observing nature around you, spending time with family, and counting. Not a must-have, but a nice addition.
This book has beautiful illustrations and a sweet story of a little boy's first trip to find a moose. The lyrical text is engaging and it also manages to teach kids about numbers without being heavy-handed.
This was a cute counting book for the littles.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a digital review copy.
A very cute book, highlighting animals found on a walk in the woods, and counting.  Anyone who has tried to take a walk with a nature-loving, inquisitive child will identify with this book.
I didn't like it very much. The text is in verse, and on the other hand, the drawing is not old-fashioned compared to what is currently produced.
On the positive side, it presents us with the forest, animals, and this is good for children.
In Find a Moose with Me!, we join Oscar on a moose hunt through nature. I absolutely adored the watercolor illustrations, very fitting for the story. Although my 5 year old knows her numbers, she loves counting books. I loved the way that the number was incorporated into each of the scenes. Overall a very cute counting book combined with nature.
In this book we join Oscar on a moose hunt through nature! Perfect for little ones learning to count! The watercolor illustrations were very sweet! A perfect book for little nature lovers!
Great book, however it was a little hard for my 4 year old to get into it fully as we couldn't put it on the kindle but will try reading it again with him late.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an electronic copy to read and review.

This is a beautifully illustrated book showing a family going on a walk to find a moose. The book has some gentle rhymes and helps to develop number sense by counting down from 10. I am looking forward to buying a physical copy to take camping with my young children.
This is a sweet counting book about a young boy and his parents who are going on his first "moose hunt." I was glad to see they were hunting just for a photo and to see the moose, as around here that's not what moose hunts are about. Each spread has a different wildlife-themed number of things to look for, and the number itself is somewhere in the page as well. Soft, sweet illustrations accompany the text. This will be a nice nature-themed counting book for very young readers.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for review.