Cover Image: What a Dog Knows

What a Dog Knows

Another Entertaining And Touching Book By Susan Wilson…And A Likely “Must Read” For Dog Lovers”

I've been a big fan of all of Susan Wilson's books since reading One Good Dog, and her latest book, What A Dog Knows, continues this author's streak of touching tales of the bond between human and animal, and readers will find plenty to enjoy beyond this bond.

I won't take your time providing a plot summary, as this can be read about in the Amazon and Goodreads Book Descriptions. What I hope is important to prospective readers is that while What A Dog Knows is not my favorite of Wilson’s books, it is a very nicely-paced, compelling and emotionally impactful book.

My overall favorable opinion of What A Dog Knows pertains to the following combination of factors: Wilson's strong writing style that enables the reader to feel that they are "right there" with what is taking place, her ability to develop multi-layered plots and multi-dimensional human and, in particular, canine characters (you'll love Hitchhiker), and her ability to build upon threads of underlying, slow-building tension that keeps readers anxious to find out how the plot is resolved.

What A Dog Knows is not, however, without a few notable factors that I think readers would want to know about — these are that the plot developments, while entertaining, are mostly predictable, and its sense of mystery/suspense is rather tepid. These factors, however, did not significantly weaken my enjoyment of What A Dog Knows, nor do they hinder me from recommending What A Dog Knows, and especially to dog lovers.

#What A Dog Knows  #Net Galley
I thoroughly enjoyed this charming and heart warming book. The story follows Ruby Heartwood, an itinerant psychic who adopts a lost dog at a campsite one night after a storm. From her relationship with the dog she names Hitchhiker - an adorable King Charles Cavalier Spaniel, she discovers that she can communicate psychically with animals. Little does she know that her new canine friend will lead her to important changes in her life as well  helping her in the search for her mother. Through back flashes of her childhood, we learn what brought Ruby to her present situation and of her search for her birth-mother who had abandoned her as a baby.
The characters are well developed, the plot and tension in the story is well paced, the situations are believable, and the dialogue authentic.
Even if you don't believe in psychics, this is a great story and Ruby's encounters of "reading" her animal clients is fascinating. I would rate this book as 5 out of 5.
Ruby Heartwood grew up in an orphanage and at a young age took off to make a life of her own as a traveling psychic. After a stormy night, she finds that she can talk to animals. From there this story takes off and is very enjoyable. Follow Ruby and discover, with her, who she is and what paths life can take you down.

Thank you NetGalley, Susan Wilson and St. Martin’s Press for this edition and hearing my honest review. Looking forward to reading more with you
#partner
Don’t you wish you could actually talk to your dog? Psychic Ruby Heartwood discovers she can talk to most dogs and it all started with a terrible storm and a tiny voice asking her to let it in…enter Hitch, and let another of life’s journeys begin!

WHAT A DOG KNOWS by Susan Wilson is a delightful tale of mystery, suspense and a woman who learns to accept and embrace who she is and what she can do. Will it help settle her wanderlust or will she find trouble in the town she wants to call home?

Cute, fast-paced and perfect for those of us who wish they really could hear what their dog is thinking! A quick read that could make a dog lover out of everyone!

I received a complimentary ARC edition from St. Martin's Press! This is my honest and voluntary review.
The characters, especially Ruby, are so authentic in What a Dog Knows by Susan Wilson.  I felt like I was walking with Ruby and Hitchhiker as they took this journey to completion.
I could not put this book down.  The author did a fantastic job of making the characters come to life.  Ruby seemed so real as well her ability to communicate with the animals.  The conversations of her "canine clients" sounded just like what I imagine my dogs would say.  I usually don't like mystics and talking animals but his book was so different.  Loved it.  I often say I wish I knew what my dog is thinking
This is an absolutely beautiful book about love. Love between a mother and a child and love between a dog and it’s person.  I have three rescue dogs and reading this book made me smile and snuggle with them. My heart was full and I had a smile on my face when I finished this book. I would like to thanks NetGalley and  St Martin’s Press for the chance to read this delightful book.

Ruby is a character that I instantly liked and I wanted nothing more than for her to fulfill her deepest wish. When Hitchhiker shows up at her door  and she asked to be let in I was so excited. I’m sure every pet owner would love to know what there pet is thinking and this book allows us to live out this fantasy while reading the book. It shows people the deep love that a person has for their dog and their dog for them.  The storyline rolls along  smoothly and  quickly, keeping you enticed and wanting to continue reading.  The supporting characters are easy to like, especially Sabine and Hull.  This is just a wonderful book that will leave you feeling good about the world. Hopefully it might also make you want to adopt a rescue dog and give it a loving home.
What a Dog Knows by Susan Wilson is a touching, heartwarming, and delightful story of hope, family, friends, love and dogs.   Wonderful gem of a book featuring Ruby and Hitch.  Their dialogue as physic and canine is spot on and fun to read.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
This was such a wonderful story about life and the amazing love of a dog.

Ruby has been alone her whole life. From being abandoned on the steps of a convent, to the transient carnival life; she has had to fight her way through all manners of difficulties and strife. With all this, Ruby came out the other side as an amazingly strong woman with a good head on her shoulders.

One night while talk refuge in a date park to wait out a spring storm, Ruby takes in a hitchhiker in the form of a cute little dog that, quite literally, speaks to her.

I loved the psychic abilities and references in this novel. I’m a huge believer in people having premonitions and feelings about the world around them. The author does a great job in writing both the sceptics and the believers in this book, all the while keeping Ruby a very realistic character.

Hitchhiker quickly became a huge part of the novel (obviously with the title). She had great thoughts and I loved ‘hearing’ them. I really looked forward to the separate paragraphs with Hitch’s thoughts.

I also really enjoyed all the different personalities that the author put into the dogs that Ruby helped communicate with. Every dog has their own personality and each breed is categorised as having a certain type as well. I’m so happy that the author took all this into account when writing the dogs, as well as not fall into the general stereotype.

The journey of the novel is primarily a search for self, while searching for family. Knowing where your roots lie is such a huge thing for people. It’s the reason there’s so many DNA trackers, find-my-phone apps, and social media’s. Everyone wants to feel connected.

I greatly enjoyed this novel and I am so glad that I was approached by NetGalley to read and review this novel.
What A Dog Knows by Susan Wilson was just wonderful.  I have read a lot of books by Ms. Wilson and this was so good.   I stayed up late reading to finish it.
Ruby Hartwood is a traveling psychic who has never stayed in one place for too long.  During a terrible storm she finds a small dog who she can understand.  She is now hearing the feelings from animals.
She stops in Harmony Farms where she finds friends and helps many people and their animals.
I loved the story as it slowly unfolded throughout the book- the little glimpses in the mind of the Hitchhiker the dog.
I love the way the author writes. I recommend this book highly- plan to tell all my friends   I went and looked at her other books and discovered there is a book about Ruby’s daughter written years ago.  I plan to find that one to read.
Thank you, Net Galley, for an advance copy for an honest review
Ruby Heartwood spent her first fourteen years at a Catholic home for girls when she runs away to live life on the road as a psychic.  Now fifty-five years old, in her trusty VW van that's her home, she's sheltering from a storm when she hears a voice asking to come in.  It's a small dog who she can communicate with, a skill she didn't know she had.
The dog becomes her soulmate and she starts 'reading' dogs' minds as part of her job as a psychic, staying in the town, Harmony Farms, for a lot longer than she usually does.  She's moved on from place to place all these years, but can't seem to leave this place.  Plus, Hitch, the dog, doesn't want to leave.
She then decides to find her mother, to find out who she is and why she was given away.
I loved, loved, loved this book!  There were parts when my heart was in my mouth and I wanted to read faster and faster, just to know that everything was going to be OK, but I'm glad I paced myself; it was such a beautiful, moving story.  As a dog lover I'm so grateful I had the chance to read this eARC, thanks St. Martin's Press and Netgalley.
Highly recommended 5+++
I adore Susan Wilson's novels, and this one is no different. Getting to see pieces of the story through the eyes of dogs is tremendous, and the entire book is extremely well written. I was captivated from the very beginning all the way through the last page. Definitely recommended reading!
What A Dog Knows by Susan Wilson

Another heartwarming novel about humans and the dogs that change their lives.

This was a warm, cozy story.  If you are an animal lover, you must read this book.  The bonding between Ruby and the hitchhiker dog is wonderful..  Ruby can hear what dogs have to say.  I enjoyed this book and recommend it.

Thanks to Net Galley for sending me an advanced reader’s copy for my review.
A must read if you love dogs.  I laughed, I cried, I petted my dogs.  Truly an easy recommendation to friends and family, especially to those that love their dogs.
I know this is not really a typical mystery but it has mysterious elements to it as well as a search, so yes, it does belong on my cozy shelf. It is a fun, clean read that will appeal to many, even if you do not  have your fortune told, read your horoscope, read tarot cards, or have a dog.

However, elements of this book that DID call to me included Ruby being psychic, feeling rootless,  enjoying ( well many days) working faires, and, of course, the canine element.

Ruby had a rough start in life, the portion of it she remembers. She doesn't know who left her at a convent orphanage or why. For fifty years she just accepted her lot in life and kept moving. But her dreams are getting more persistent and she now wants answers.
Happily, she acquires a traveling companion, named the Hitchhiker. Conversely, Hitch is doing her best to convince Ruby that this is where they should stay. She also has instincts and knows things. She also encourages Ruby to be satisfied with the present moment, the good found in here and now.

I won't lie to you -- there is a section of the book fraught with tension that will give your emotions a workout. I was tempted to page forward to make sure things would work out as I wanted. I resisted, but it was hard.

I am declaring now that this will be among the top five books I read in 2021.
The story, although bumpy, flows smoothly. The author is a skilled storyteller.
I appreciated the details which drew me into the locations and settings,
Some made me nostalgic for experiences in my own life.

If you see that we have similar tastes in books, TRUST ME and do not miss this book.
If you think you don't care for psychics or talking dogs, relate to it on a human emotional level.
You are truly missing out on a wonderful book if you don't experience this one.
Adventures of the unknown, gentle romance, friendships, and much more populate these pages.
I've always been a HUGE fan of Susan Wilson's work. The way that she interconnects animals and human is next level genius. These books aren't simply about a human's bond with their beloved dog. They are about so much more. The novels Wilson writes are about the journey of life. It's trials and tribulations that are thrown at us. The joy and sorrow. Her books are so amazing. I would highly, highly recommend this to any animal lover or just a person who wants a fantastic pageturner.
hank you to Netgalley and the publisher for my digital copy in exchange for an honest review. And honestly? I loved this book. I know it might not be for everybody but it really worked for me. I originally requested it because of the cute little dog on the picture. I know, I was just as shocked as you are right now. I didn't even really read the synopsis so I wasn't sure what I was heading into but I really loved the story line. Some of my friends and family would probably tell you that I am a little "out there" when it comes to what I believe is possible so a dog and human communicating worked for me...I loved the growth of the main character in that over time she stopped fighting who she was and went with it and she learned to stay put and not worry about what may or may happen. Everything could be okay in the long run. Hearing from the dog's point of me, well more than one dog, also really worked for me. Who knows what dogs would say if they really could talk to us? I know I would love to find out. So, all in all, I really loved this book. :)
Book Review: What A Dog Knows
Author: Susan Wilson
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Publication Date: June 22, 2021
Review Date: January 7, 2021

From the blurb:
“From New York Times bestselling author Susan Wilson comes What a Dog Knows, another heartwarming novel about humans and the dogs that change our lives.

Ruby Heartwood has always lived a life on the move. As a traveling psychic, she makes her living working at carnivals and festivals and circuses around New England. It's a life Ruby has made peace with—settling in one place has never been for her. She needs no one, and no one needs her.

Until one night, when she is camped by the side of the road in her trusty Volkswagon "Westie" van, a fierce thunder and lightning storm erupts. In the middle of the downpour, she hears a distinct voice telling her to "let me in." In jumps a little black and white dog, and to Ruby's astonishment, she can hear the dog's thoughts. Has she been struck by lightning? Did the storm do this? Is she losing her mind?

It turns out, Ruby can hear many dogs' thoughts. She decides to set up semi-permanent residency in the town of Harmony Farms, until she can sort out what is going on, and who the little dog, Hitch, belongs to. But some people in Harmony Farms don't want her there. And it seems that events keep preventing Ruby from leaving. What secrets is this town keeping? Why was she meant to find this dog? And what has Ruby really been running from, all these years?”
——-
What a lovely book. People and dogs talking with one another. I love hearing the little dog’s thoughts, and her conversations with her human.

Everything about this book works: characters, setting, plot, the ideas explored. I see that Susan Wilson has written many other books, many of them with dog characters, and I look forward to reading them.

I highly recommend this book, especially for dog lovers.

Thank you to St. Martin’s Press for giving me early access to this book. And best of luck to the author in her continued literary career.

This review will be posted on NetGalley and Goodreads.

#netgalley #whatadogknows #susanwilson #stmartinspress
What A Dog Knows by Lisa Wilson – 5 Stars!
Ruby is a traveling physic who learns she can hear dog’s thoughts.  Out of no where she met a little dog that seemed lost in the rain, she takes him in and hears the dog.  She decides to stay in the town for a while, Harmony Farms, until she can find out who the dog really belongs to.  She ends up staying there, every time she plans on leaving things happen to keep her there.  This book is so interesting.  I’ve always found psychics to have a mystique about them and this book was so well written the characters were so interesting and well developed that I couldn’t put the book down.  It was really interesting to this person who has never even owned a dog or any pets.

I received this book free in the kindle format from NetGalley.com.  My opinions and words about this book are my own, freely given.  #WhatADogKnows #NetGalley #LisaWilson

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Ruby has had an unconventional life. Now her life has become even stranger when she can hear a dog's thoughts. This sends her on a journey to explore her life, her past and open up those secrets she has been running from. A sweet heartwarming story.