Cover Image: Pee Wees

Pee Wees

This book was very funny overall, it showed the insanity that sports parents endure and cause. I did notice a lot of "elitism" but overall, it was enjoyable.
I've read a number of Rich Cohen's books and thoroughly enjoyed them, especially Tough Jews. His writing is extremely readable, which may sound like faint praise, but some writers are worthwhile but difficult to digest, while Cohen is worthwhile and smooth.

The book follows a season in the life of his son's Pee Wee hockey team and as a former youth soccer participant, it totally hit home. I remember being woken up before sunrise to take the long drive to some far off field to play a group of young kids, each participating at varying levels of enthusiasm. I fell into the middle group when it came to interest. I liked it, but didn't love it, and I realize how much I wanted to love it for my Dad.

What this book does so well is give the parents point of view. Cohen conveys his honest thoughts and feelings about being a sports loving parent who's trying to share that love with their kid. I enjoyed seeing the experience from his perspective, because I was the one sleeping in the car after the 5 am wake up call, my Dad was the one stuck driving. I think this book will resonate with both the driver and, in a few years, the passenger.
A quick, easy and enjoyable read that will ring true to anyone who has been involved in youth sports, whether parent, coach or player. Rich Cohen is a hockey dad who cares a lot about his son's team -- maybe, like so many parents, too much. In fact, he had to take time off from the game for a while to protect his health and sanity. Sitting in the bleachers watching your kids play hockey is stressful, just as much as standing on the sidelines of a youth soccer match or a youth lacrosse game. Cohen's frequent references to Chicago sports teams is a bit odd, considering the book takes place in Connecticut, but his memories about playing hockey as a boy in the Chicago area are nicely handled. All in all, a fun journey through one season of youth hockey.
Rich Cohen has always been a fan of hockey. He began playing the game at three in Illinois and earned the nickname Richard “Rocket” Cohen for his speed on the ice. His love affair with the game continued through high school, college and then in various adult leagues. His passion is palpable. In Pee Wees, he takes readers into the world of his son’s competitive and elite hockey team in Fairfield County, Connecticut. We get a front row seat to all of the drama, both on the ice and off and meet parents who claim each slash, foul and goal as their own. Cohen has an obvious reverence for the game and the community that surrounds the game. As a hockey mom myself, I share in his exuberance. I just wonder if other non-hockey world readers will as well. Thank you to Farrar, Straus and Giroux and NetGalley for the advanced review copy of this book.