Cover Image: A Girl Like You

A Girl Like You

An adorable book. Jessica Gabriel is in a devastating situation, her marriage fell apart, and her children suggest that she try to date someone through a dating website. After thinking about it, Jessica agrees and starts doing activities like signing in for a gym membership, getting a haircut. She thinks this will help her attract attention from single men. However, she comes across bachelors she does not like. It was an adventure for me to read this book as Jessica's personality is comical and charming. I was amused by the author's descriptions of Jessica's thoughts in the situations, especially when she dated the men. It is, for me, a book that I enjoyed from beginning to end. I thank NetGalley and Circuit Breaker Books for providing me a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
'A Girl Like You' was a very lovely book about Jessica, a mom starting over with romance. Having divorced twice, Jess is unsure where to go forward next, but with the help of her children and best friend, Jess dives into the world of online dating. I loved reading Jess's adventures with dating among a digital world. It definitely had some 'Sex and the City' vibes, with some humorous scenes! I especially loved Jess's canine companion, along with her eccentric array of leggings!
NetGalley provided me with an ARC of the book in exchange for an unbiased review. Thanks for making it available!

"A Girl Like You" is about Jessica Gabriel, a 57-year-old woman single after failed marriage number two. Heartbroken, her adult kids convince her to explore the world of online dating.

This book was a huge surprise for me! First of all, because of the main character who is an older woman. Being 18 years old, I didn't relate to her, but I conected with her and loved to see her journey of self discoverement. This journey was sexy and fun (I think I won't look at clothespins the same way again). But, most importantly, vulnerable and very real about challenges that women at that age face (especially in such a machist and misoginy society). Cari Scribner wrote a story about starting over again, finding yourself, figuring out what you want and showing that being alone doesn’t have to be lonely.
The writing of this book is really great and It was definitely engaging.! However due to the fact that Jessica was in such a different place in her life than I am, I really found it difficult to relate to her character and struggled through the book.

It was really interesting to read from her perspective about finding love for the third time as an older woman. I thought her kids were great and definitely felt their support. Overall this is a good read but wasn’t for me!
Thank you to NetGalley and Circuit Breaker Books for this copy of A Girl Like You by Cari Scribner.

A Girl Like You features the online dating adventures of twice-divorced Jessica, sprinkling in the dating life of her two twenty-something children. Over the course of the book readers get to follow along on Jessica's search for a partner on a dating app called "Go Fish", laughing along at her adventures, triumphs and failures and rooting for her to find the happiness that she's searching for.

This was a fine read, although not really my cup of tea. It was a bit on the raunchy side without needing to be, in my opinion. I found some of the characters to read a bit false, which was distracting. I enjoyed the book as a whole even though parts of it I could have done wiithout. It's a good book if you're not looking for anything heavy.
I thought this was a really fun and different romance. I liked getting to know the characters and meeting all of the different men that Jessica connected with. I think the online dating aspect was so fun to read since you don’t always get and older view point of life on dating apps. I do wish that the aspect of penny dying wasn’t included. I honestly kind of expected Jessica to meet someone through the animal shelter as that storyline was progressing. But since she met someone more authentically it felt like something that was just randomly thrown into the novel. Otherwise I really enjoyed reading the book!
This book is the kind I call engrossing. I love how immersive the author writing is. The author takes the reader of a journey and makes the character feel less alone. This is super wonderful to do and I enjoyed reading this one.
It is refreshing to see a mature MC (anyone 35+) in a romance.  I do hope publishers take note when giving consideration to diversifying their romances.

But this book seemed more straight Woman’s Fiction rather than a Romance since the MC was on a journey of finding herself after her second divorce.  I knew who Jessica would end up with and kept waiting to read about that developing relationship.  But they didn’t meet until the very end of the book.  That is the story I was looking to read with bad dates sprinkled throughout for humor.

This book meandered and got dark.  I think there should be “trigger” warnings for readers.  There was a description of a shared sadist image.  Also one date’s horrific description of the death of their pet.  These were disturbing to me for a book cataloged as “Humor, Romance, Women’s Fiction”.

Thank you NetGalley and Circuit Breaker Books for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
# A Girl Like You by author # Cari Scribner is one of those novels so perfect when you're finished you have to buy your closest friends a copy. After failed marriage number two her children convince her to sign up for online dating. And this is when the novel takes off.
#Netgalley, #Cari Scribner, and # Circuit Breaker Books
This book was fun but was necessarily memorable. There were funny moments, and I did enjoy reading someone in an older age group explore dating, but the dates began to feel a bit of a drag after awhile. Overall a good read and one I liked, just didn’t love.
This book was exactly what I needed…funny, emotional with a bit of spice.

After a divorce at the age of 57, Jessica takes us on her journey of self-discovery and through the world of mature online dating.   With hilarious antics that had me laughing out loud, I just could not stop reading.

A story that strikes the perfect balance and doesn’t over commit to anything be it comedy, emotion, arguments etc.  You will feel totally content at the end.

A wonderful story. Highly recommended.
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley. While I was excited by the premise of this book - a woman in her 50s exploring online dating - In just couldn’t get into it and abandoned it around 10%.
I really enjoyed this book and the full range emotions it took me through! It was easy to read,. well written, and quite relatable. I instantly felt a connection to the main character and was invested in what happened throughout the story.
A Girl Like You was not a traditional romance between two people but  more women's fiction where our lead character a 57 year old divorced mother of two adult children sets out to find love in the harsh realities that are online dating. Through this process she learns so much about her own boundaries and what is truly important in life. Sometimes funny and sometimes emotional, this was a fast and enthralling read about self-discover and female empowerment.
I could definitely relate to her experiences with online dating. Yikes! But overall, I didn't know if the main character was believable enough. I felt like her reactions were on one hand robotic like and on the other hand, far reaching and overly dramatic. On many occasions, her reactions were over the top. Nonetheless, there was a certain vulnerability demonstrated that was nice to see on paper and I could absolutely relate to her flaws, her humanness. Overall, it was an enjoyable, light read.
I loved this story! It was so sweet!

The focus on moving forward and resilience was so heart warming.

Though I can’t imagine being divorced in my 50s this book was still relatable and a fun read.
Cari's debut novel looks into the life of Jessica who is a mum of two grown up kids and recovering from her second divorce. Instead of relishing some alone time, Jessie throws herself into the world of online dating with some encouragement from her kids and her best friend Eddie. Her loyal dog Pen sees her through some short lived romances and many dating disasters and grief when her ex moves on to a new love. However tragedy then strikes and Jessie has to spend time learning how to be on her own before she can finally welcome new loves her into life. With a lot of laughs, a smattering of sex and a few tears, this was a great debut novel.
I really enjoyed this story, it was super sweet. I really liked the main character and her continuous mindset to keep moving forward in a positive manner.
I liked how she had support from her children and her friends.
Romance - but more general fiction

Quaint, quirky and completely relatable!

Jessica Gabriel has just gone through her 2nd divorce, has 2 mostly grown kids and is at a crossroads in her life.  She needs a new job and maybe a new man to share her life with.  Jessica is 57, so the world of online dating is completely foreign to her.  She does all the wrong things and meets all the wrong kind of guys.  She gets help from her kids and the dates get better, and it seems so do the men, but do they really?

This book is funny and unabashedly truthful about being single in this modern age, yet it still remains hopeful.  Just a lovely sweet read.

Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for my ARC of this book.
I can’t imagine being divorced, in my 50s and trying to navigate the world of online dating. I believe that Scribner captured this perfectly. The things online dating brigs doesn’t have an age limit, older men and woman have to deal with the same troubles that the younger generations do.

I found this book to be totally relatable. Dating is not an easy world, although it’s nice to know right away that things aren’t going well on a date. I found Jessica personable and real. She could be my mom, or my neighbour, or anyone.

A cute,predictable, and lovely story.