Cover Image: Seven Days in June

Seven Days in June

When they were 17, Eva and Shane had a drug-fueled torrid week that left them both emotionally scarred from their rapid-fire intense love. Fifteen years later, Eva is both the single mom of a precocious 12-year-old and the author of an erotic series of novels about the forbidden love between a vampire and a witch. Meanwhile, Shane is both the reclusive author of a handful of critically acclaimed literary novels and a recovering alcoholic. A chance meeting at an author panel kicks off a week of getting to know each other again, both the good and the bad.

What a refreshing addition to the romance genre. Shane and Eva are complex people with difficult pasts and a LOT of baggage to deal with. But these elements don't detract from their chemistry or the steamy love affair that they embark upon. Without giving anything away, I'll also say that I LOVE the way this book ended. Well worth a read, even if you're not a romance fan.
This novel is ah-may-zing. I laughed. I cried. I fanned myself. I read it in less than twenty-four hours because I couldn't rest until I knew what was happening with these characters. When it was over I had to take a nap. Shane Hall is EVERYthing. I love him.
“Seven days to fall in love, fifteen years to forget, and seven days to get it all back again...”  Love the tag line!

Eva and Shane had an intense connection for seven days in June when they first met in High School, but something happened and that was all the time they were able to share together when they were younger.   In the present time both Eva and Shane have grown up to be authors (and are reunited for the first time at a literary function in NYC some 15 years later.

Eva Mercy is the bestselling author of a vampire erotica series featuring a vampire and a witch love story. She’s struggling to finish book 15, dealing with a non-visible disability (i.e. the chronic pain/migraines she’s lived with her whole life), and she's trying to be the best single mom to her astute 12 year old daughter.  Shane Hall is a prizewinning author who is an enigmatically private person.  When Shane shows up again after all this time, their chemistry is still palpable, but the stakes are higher as Eva has more to lose than just herself if she falls in love with him again. Over the present seven days they will try to decide if being together is really the best thing for them both and if love is really worth the risk.

I think I enjoyed reading about the present day a bit more than the past, though the past timeline was necessary to provide much needed context and worked well to serve the story.  I thought Tia Williams did a great job writing these complex characters.  I appreciated the commentary on black authors and the publishing world's preference that black stories focus on a racially based trauma in order to be compelling reads.  I loved the relationship that Eva had with her daughter, Audre, and really hope to have something like that with my own daughter in the future.  It was a pleasure reading this contemporary romance and I look forward to my book club's discussion on it soon! Thank you to the publisher and #NetGalley for the digital ARC of #SevenDaysInJune. The opinions expressed herein are my own.
4.5 stars. I read this book in one sitting and loved it! I found it to be a unique romance novel as it explored a lot of complex issues you don’t normally see within this genre. My only feedback is that I felt a little frustrated in the last 20% of the book when the characters were fighting about a misunderstanding and thought the conflict was a little dragged out. Nevertheless, I 100% recommend this if looking for a funny, smart and powerful book.
One week can change your life.

The story follows two authors, Eve and Shane.  You see how their lives become intertwined and their writing an outlet for memories from the past.

There are so many different and amazing layers to this book.  I really enjoyed reading about Shane and Eve as their lives, both separate and together, tugged at my heartstrings.

Tia Williams made you feel all of the emotions for these characters.  It was a powerful read, that will stay with me.
I really enjoyed Seven Days in June! It came highly recommended to me from a friend in my book club and it was worth the read. It was serious but also steamy, so best combo. Thank you to Netgalley for this arc ebook in exchange for an honest review.
I really liked Seven Days in June.  Tia Williams did a great job bringing her characters to life and the writing was great.  I had a hard time putting the book down and thought about it in between reading times.  I love the way the mother daughter relationships were shown and that you can break the chain with your own kids and that it doesn't have to be the same as it was for you.  I also liked that she showed the harder, grittier parts of life without sugarcoating it.
I’d never call myself a romance reader. In fact, I generally avoid romance all together, but 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 𝐃𝐀𝐘𝐒 𝐈𝐍 𝐉𝐔𝐍𝐄 by Tia Williams is the second romance I’ve reviewed this week! Sure, it’s different from a lot of romances in that it’s set in the world of Black publishing, featuring two wildly different authors reuniting fifteen years after their first intense week together as teenagers. Wait a minute! That’s really not all that different from most romances. In the true spirit of romance, Shane and Eva had been tragically separated, and secretly longed for each other all these years. Upon meeting again, sparks fly, and fly and fly!⁣
⁣
Now, I am poking a little fun here, but I really did enjoy 𝘚𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯 𝘋𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘐𝘯 𝘑𝘶𝘯𝘦. I was drawn to both Shane and Eva, and adored Eva’s wise-beyond-her-years daughter, Audre. Williams convinced me that this couple could be “real” despite their obstacles, and I’m grateful to her story for helping to distract me during a really tough time. Books truly can be magic that way. ⁣
⁣
On a final note, I want to say, “𝘉𝘙𝘈𝘝𝘖!” to Williams for cleverly titling her chapters. I so appreciate when authors actually take the time to do so, and would love to see more follow suit.

Thanks to Grand Central Publishing for an e-galley of this book.
3.5 Stars

”How can I say I’m a plugged-in cultural force, when I’m surrounded by so much useless affluence?”

Seven Days in June is a gritty yet humorous second-chance romance between Eva Mercy and Shane Hall, two people with damaged pasts. The plot uses flashbacks and alternating POVs to explore the complicated relationship between these two damaged souls.

Lots of contemporary topics are explored in this book including family, friendship, addiction, parenthood and the details of life as a famous author. Even though there are some very weighty topics the author manages to keep a fairly light tone especially with Eva’s relationship with her extremely precocious daughter.

Eva and Shane are both well-known writers and cross paths after many years apart. I loved their reunion! Eva had believed they’d be together forever so she still has very deep feelings for Shane.

”One thing,” she whispered, her lips by his jaw. She didn’t want anyone to overhear. “Before I forget.”
“What’s that?”
“Stop writing about me.”

Eva and Shane must now explore whether they can make things work this time. Both of them have their own issues and I did like how the author created a believable ending for these characters. I thought Eva’s daughter Audre was not a completely realistic tween and acted more like a 21 year old than a young girl.

I enjoyed Tia Williams’ lively writing style so definitely pick this one up to see what all the buzz is about!
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing a free ARC of this book. I will begin by saying that I'm a "head-in-the-sand" person. I don't watch the news. I don't like feeling uncomfortable because of conflict (real or imagined). I don't like uncomfortable topics (political, socio-economic, racial, addictions). All of those things were a part of this book-- as well as some characters that I really liked getting to know and some I wished to know more about. To read about each character's experiences, while uncomfortable for me, was important.

I wish there would have been more about the seven days that Eva and Shane spent together as teenagers-- I think we needed more of a reminder how deep we feel at that age and why, after 15 years, you would still feel that first love like it was yesterday. I enjoyed the banter between Eva and Shane when they reconnected (and there were some excellent steamy sex scenes) but I didn't feel the book was a romance. There were too many other topics brushed upon that made it less of a light read.
Eva and Shane had a whirlwind week together in high school. 15 years later, after both are successful black authors, they are reunited.

This one was just ok for me.
love when a book makes me feel all shouty and enthused. Seven Days In June by Tia Williams is a beautifully written book that I am so excited to talk about. When I saw Estelle recommend it during the Forever Open House webinar, I knew it would be good. BUT WOW, you guys, just WOW. At some point, I definitely want to buy a copy of this book so it is on my shelf. Also, I can totally see why the waiting list at the library is a mile long to read this book. Although I had a Netgalley copy, I also borrowed a copy from the library as sometimes I like reading the physical book. And yes, I did rush through it so someone else can get a crack at this book.

Seven Days In June follows Eva Mercy and Shane Hall, both Black authors who are very successful in their respective genres. Eva is the author of the Cursed series which is a supernatural erotic series that is extremely popular with a massive fan following. Shane Hall writes literary fiction and his work is much acclaimed. The two met senior year of high school and had quite the week together, but Shane disappeared completely out of Eva’s life. Flash forward fifteen years later. Eva is on a panel and Shane happens to be on the same panel – the air is crackling with tension. Will the two get a second chance at love? You absolutely need to read and find out.

As mentioned, I just loved this book. Eva is a single mom and she’s amazing. She does have chronic pain and the book doesn’t shy away from detailing how much that sucks. Anyways, I think one of the biggest highlights for me was just how wonderful of a mom Eva is. Her daughter Audre is a force to behold. When we first meet Audre, she’s getting in trouble with Eva because she’s providing therapy to her fellow classmates. She’s absolutely an intelligent, thoughtful kid and steals the scene every time she shows up.

With regards to the relationship between Eva and Shane, wow, would give this a three out of five on the spicy scale. There are such fireworks between the two. Yes, this does consummate. Those scenes are totally not cheesy or awkward to read, by the way. The pain and trauma that Eva and Shane work through and overcome made me root all the harder for them to have their joy and happy ending.

On the whole, Seven Days In June is a master class of a book. Run don’t walk to your local bookstore or library and get your hands on a copy as soon as possible.
Wow. I’m really not sure what I expected but this book exceeded my expectations. It’s so hard to accurately describe. I listened to the audiobook and highly recommend.

It defies expectation but if forced I would say this is literary fiction crossed with romance. It’s the story of two people coming back into each other’s lives after many years. It’s the story of the way our history shapes our future. It’s the story of family and mothers and daughters. It’s the story of overcoming our past and making new and different choices for our futures.

There’s a lot and I suggest looking for content warnings if there is something you avoid. If not - I suggest picking this up today.

Thank you to Grand Central and Netgalley for the advance reading copy.
This seems like one of the most hyped books of the summer, and it definitely lived up to its hype. A great fast-paced and intense love story. I am not sure the charters were all that likable or relatable but I was rooting for them and couldn't turn the pages fast enough. It was an intense whirlwind of a story, one that almost matches the love story itself. Highly recommended, a great summer read.
I've found my new favorite fictional couple. The synopsis did not prepare me for the feelings and experiences this book gave me. Every character sprung to life and I adored it. Shane and Eva were everything! This story showed how important it is to work on ourselves, committing to the journey of overcoming everything life has thrown at us to be our best selves, whatever that might look like.

Relationships with ourselves, families, spouses and friends take hard, transparent work and is not always hearts and flowers but can and should still be joyful.  I'm writing this on a whim and really can't explain yet how much this story meant to me. I loved it!  It tackled some heavy issues but enjoyable, sexy, hopeful and refreshing none the less. I wouldn't mind getting more of Shane, Eva and Audre, especially Audre in the future.
Excellent read by Tia Williams!  Steamy yet real.  Just my style.  Highly recommend this one to anyone who loves a great romance, brewing for years and ready to explode!
I requested this book on a whim and I think it might be my favorite read of the year!
This book is about Eva Mercy, an erotica author and single mom who reconnects with her high school sweetheart, Shane, after years of not speaking. In high school, Eva and Shane's relationship was incredibly toxic and fueled by drugs and rage. After all these years the two must confront their past and determine what will happen in the future.

This book tackled so many difficult subjects (drug use, disability, mental illness, race, sexism) but it was done in such a precise and thoughtful way that the story didn't become bogged down. Each topic was well developed and important to the storyline. I appreciated that even with all the difficult subjects, the underlying themes were hope and perseverance.

The main characters in the book amazing! They were strong, flawed, and showed tremendous self awareness and growth. I was rooting for Shane and Eva the entire time. Their romance was spicy, tender, and true. I honestly can't say enough good things about this book. As a regular romance reader, this was definitely a standout. It was powerful, entertaining, and amazing!!!

Thank you NetGalley and Grand Central Publishing for the ARC.
I'd like to preface by saying there is absolutely /no way/ I'll be able to write a review that could do this book justice. This read was so unique, so wonderful, and SO stunning.

Seven Days in June follows single mother Eva Mercy, an erotica author, as she reconnects with her high school lover Shane during a book convention. Their one week high school relationship was extremely toxic, riddled with drug use, disability, and mental illness; which is why for so many years they had avoided each other in professional spaces, opting to instead write fictionalized books about each other.

What I connected to most in this book was the disabled representation. Eva has severe chronic pain, which kept her addicted to pain killers for her teenage years. Even as an adult with a healthy diagnosis and prescription, Eva struggles to parent her daughter, stay alert in professional spaces, and write her next book. As somebody whose mother is also disabled, I resonated a lot with her experience parenting her daughter often from a bed. Her daughter takes on more responsibilities, acts "older than her age," and often has to parent herself. I saw so much of myself in her, and fostered so much more compassion not only for Eva, but for my mother.

This romance is a sure-fire standout from your typical romance novel. Shane and Eva pack spice, steam, chemistry, and history all in one delicious explosion just waiting to break. Their reunion told alongside their first relationship is *so* unique and special, and carries the complexities many authors don't dare to write about. It's risky to write a relationship so torrid and complicated, but Williams does it perfectly.

The theme of Blackness is intertwined through every sentence of the story. As a white reviewer, I don't want to spend too much time commenting on this, and would urge readers to seek ownvoices reviews instead, however for the sake of this review perhaps being the first review somebody sees of this book, I definitely want to touch on it. Shane and Eva have a shared unique experience of being Black authors writing Black stories, which is historically super difficult to navigate in the publishing industry, especially when the stories aren't racially related trauma based.

Overall, Seven Days in June was the best reading experience I've had in a while. The author is knock out witty, the romance is SOOOOO charismatic and wonderful to read, and you will fall in love with Eva's relationship with her daughter. READ THIS READ THIS READ THIS!!!!!
I was looking forward to this one when it became Reese Witherspoon's book pick, but I have to say it didn't work for me as well as I had hoped. Although I did read until the end and liked the ending, I had a hard time keeping track of the timelines and difficulty with the writing at times. I would have loved to learn more about Eva's mom and grandma's too.

Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review.  All opinions are my own.
Eva was an acclaimed writer of supernatural erotica.  She suffers from migraines that are debilitating but as a single mother, will do anything to see that Audre has a successful life.  Shane is an acclaimed writer also, more well-known that Eva.  He has problems too and all his famous books and appearances have been under the influence of alcohol.  Now in AA, he wants to make amends.  Eva picked Shane as a friend when she started a new high school.  She noticed him sitting by himself and convinced him to befriend her.  After a painful break up, they are reunited fifteen years later at an author event. They have read each other’s books, noting that one of Eva’s main characters is patterned after Shane, and Shane’s main character mirrors Eva.   Their chance meeting renews the sparks, and they hope to mend their relationship.  I loved the characters in this book.  Audre’s daughter is smart and intuitive.  The story portrays the trials of living with a debilitating disease, feeling like you are not good enough to find a family or place to belong, and how you can rise above all the hardships.  Great lessons learned.