Cover Image: One Day All This Will Be Yours Signed Limited Edition

One Day All This Will Be Yours Signed Limited Edition

This is a fun Sci-Fi tale if ever there was one. If you've ever thought time travel might be a good and fun thing to do, this book will soon strip you of that belief, and make you regret ever thinking of it.

We follow the tale of a man - the last man on earth, the sole survivor of The Causality War, in which humans invented time travel, used it to wage war against each other, and essentially broke time. Our main character is a bit of a curmudgeon, who has set himself up at the end of time and decided to kill any errant time travellers that come across him. If he eliminates all the time travellers, there can't be another time war. Right?

I don't want to say too much, because this story is best experienced firsthand. It's hilarious, enlightening, and clever. I can't recommend it enough if you want a short Sci-Fi adventure.
I hadn't really given much thought to Adrian Tchaikovsky's work outside of his ten-volume 'Shadows of the Apt', which I've often recommended to epic fantasy readers looking for a different series to try. 'One Day All This Will Be Yours' has made me realise that I've been doing the author a disservice by ignoring his science fiction - a mistake I won't be making again.
This book was an absolute blast. I'm not sure I've ever had more fun reading a book.

I do not say that lightly.

This felt like the literary equivalent of a good Will Ferrell movie. Or maybe the kind of movie that comes out when you’re in college, you watch it with a bunch of good friends and can’t breathe for laughing, and are quoting it endlessly to each other for the rest of your lives. (Super Troopers was the example for me, but I suspect the movie of choice varies greatly depending on when exactly you were born.) I need to get all of my friends to read this book right now so that we can spend years saying things like “let’s feed him to the allosaur!” and “Stalin vs Stalin!” and “I’m Caligula, get me out of here!” and laughing uproariously.

Anyway. Plot. The main character is the sole surviving veteran of the Causality War that left the entire timeline of the universe shattered. The war was fought with time machines, with all sides working to erase the other side from existence while stomping on just the right butterfly to usher in the unending Golden Age for their side. Except that pretty quickly becomes impossible when the side you are fighting for wasn’t destroyed so much as never existed in the first place, but you keep fighting and fighting because … what else can you do?

Our protagonist ends up setting a future bottleneck, after all the destruction, and makes it his mission to keep any and all time travelers from getting past him. Humanity did a great job of fucking up the past, he wasn’t going to let them fuck up the future. So he’s living an introvert’s dream, on his farm at the end of time with his faithful pet allosaurus Miffly. He spends his days intercepting time travelers attempting to reach the future, killing them, and then temporally backtracking them to their origin and making sure that no one then ever discovered time travel in the first place. When he’s bored, he goes and hangs out with Plato or Charlemagne or Rick Astley in the drifting fragments of time that remain.

This idyllic life is abruptly ended when he gets visitors not from the past, against which he stands unsleeping vigil, but from the future. His own descendants, it turns out, which raises all sorts of questions when you’re the very last human in several senses of the phrase. But damn it, he’s worked hard to make sure that humanity does not exist in the future, and he is NOT going to take this lying down, whatever his descendants might feel about it.

This is a novella, so it won’t take you long to read, and it’s worth every second. I really need to read more of Adrian Tchaikovsky.
This novella follows the unnamed narrator who lives at the end of time. He survived the Causality War, a war in which time was destroyed as both sides used bombs that destroyed the time line. Now he catches any unsuspecting time travellers that arrive on his farm and prevents them from messing up time.

The plot was good but it was a little hard to get into. The narrator kept hinting at what had occurred to lead him up to his current point in time without outright stating it. The reader doesn’t get all the details until approximately halfway through. And I loved reading about the cause of the war and the aftermath. It was so idiotic, yet realistic in a way. The rational for the bombs was believable.

The narrator was hilarious, he was by far my favourite part of the story. He’s sarcastic, sociopathic, cruel and determined. I loved reading about his justification for first individual murders and then mass murder. There were so many funny liners, especially when he met another time traveller. I had highlighted some to include in this review but then I deleted the document... oh well.

I would strongly suggest this novella to time travel or sci-fi fans who like a comedic element. The MC can be a bit despicable at times so don’t expect someone all cuddly and nice.

One of my favourite reads of 2021.

Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC.
After a couple of disappointing books by Tchaikovsky I approached this novella with certain trepidation. After all, one can become too thinly spread, “sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread,” even without One Ring (unless you want to confess, Mr Tchaikovsky?) I needn’t have worried, tough – this novella is short and sharp and scathing, with long pointed teeth and unrelenting snarkiness that brings to mind the best that stand-up comedy has to offer.

And this novella is indeed written very much in the style of stand-up comedy, with the protagonist wound up to the extreme, never shutting up, venting his anger and misanthropy in an unceasing torrent of words. It’s funny, it’s rabid, it’s sarcastic – but most of all, it’s to the point. You see, in Causality Wars the unnamed protagonist is the veteran of the humanity – and history – ceased to exist. With the onset of time travel rewriting the past became the favorite pastime of governments and agencies, and all the innumerable, contradictory changes to the history carried out by time soldiers resulted in shattering the past and erasing the present. It was still salvageable, more or less – until Causality bombs destroyed the substance of time. And so now, at the end of times, in the one stable point of a glorious indeterminate amount of time, our protagonist treasure hunts the sharp shards of the past, gathering farming equipment, growing veggies and killing random time travellers who inexorably land in his garden, in the farthest possible future. Until travellers from the actual, future, future turn up on his porch and call him Gramps. The gall! Gramps is not happy; he’s a nasty mean old geezer and wants to stay this way forever, so obviously the only thoughts he spared for his bride-to-be are how to most efficiently kill her before they can produce any of that horrible offspring.

Yes, don’t expect this novella to be scientifically plausible. It’s not. It’s a totally absurd, tongue-in-cheek mishmash of the most popular time travel tropes, juggled with admirable deftness and self-awareness by the angry old man in the center of the story. Time travel serves here only as a literary vehicle for funny and sharp critique of our human foibles and vices and prejudices. And if we can get an adorable, feathered, man-eating dinosaur as a bonus, all the better.

[...]

I only have one criticism to offer, though it is twofold: the ending feels truncated and rushed; while it still delivers the payoff, it feels much more suitable to a short story than what in good (or bad, depending on your point of view) old days would’ve been a full-length novel. As for the novella itself, it never feels boring or redundant (ah, well, maybe a little, in places 😉) but I still felt it could’ve been stronger and punchier if it were shortened. Either way, though, One Day All This Will Be Yours is an observant, cutting piece of satire, which has somewhat restored my battered trust in Tchaikovsky 😉.

I have received a copy of this novel from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thanks.
Having only recently gotten familiar with Tchaikovsky, I was excited to get a preview of this book. Having been a fan of classic sci-fi like Asimov, Niven and more for decades, I love to explore and read more current authors now. I had no idea what to expect from this book, except that the story deals with time travel. I think most sci-fi geeks would have thought with their friends what a war conducted with time machines would be like, but I never imagined the many varied ways it could go. Thank goodness Adrian Tchaikovsky has done this for all of us, because this is a fun, witty and engaging read that I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. The story is told from the first person view of a grizzled and experienced veteran of the time wars, and how he deals with the end of time. This is a relatively short read and I read through it fairly quickly.

#OneDayAllThisWillBeYours #NetGalley
Extremely funny and full of food for thought. A genial, entertaining and gripping novel that kept me hooked.
It’s like a huge what-if that makes you laugh but also reflects on the implications of time traveling.
An anti war novella with a huge twist and a lovely allosaurus, Miffy.
It’s another excellent work by Adrian Tchaikovsky and it’s strongly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this arc, all opinions are mine
Tchaikovsky's done it again. This time a timey-wimey post-apocalyptic dinosaur-featuring novella about rejecting the past and the future for a perfect yet lonely present.

Our narrator lives on the far-flung edge of history - there is no humanity, as far as he knows, after him. He's the remaining soldier from a devastating causality war, and determined that it will never happen again - to the point where he REALLY doesn't like getting visitors and is not always particularly kind to anyone who happens to time travel to his point in existence. Yep, he's not the nicest person, but as he says, "I own to my bastardy".

The writing is deft and humourous - I had to stop and highlight quite a few notes on my Kindle. Only Adrian Tchaikovsky can take you from cavemen eating mammoth to TGI Fridays in Reading in the 1990s in the span of two paragraphs.

The story is unpredictable and quite the ride - my only disappointment was when it ended. I wanted more!
“Another perfect day at the end of the world.”

My thanks to Rebellion/Solaris for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘One Day All This Will Be Yours’ by Adrian Tchaikovsky in exchange for an honest review. I supplemented this with its unabridged audiobook edition, read by the author.

The narrator of this short novel survived the Causality War and he now lives at the end of time. I don’t want to spoil it for anyone but let’s just say that he’s rather territorial.

It is darkly comic with plenty of winks in the direction of tropes associated with wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff. I experienced quite a few laugh-out-loud moments.

Adrian Tchaikovsky is an author who over the last couple of years has become a firm favourite of mine. His SF always proves innovative and thought-provoking.

The quirky cover art by Gemma Sheldrake shows Miffly, the narrator’s pet allosaur. Even before reading the synopsis that cover pretty much sold me on this book.

Great fun and highly recommended.
Not even the Spanish Inquisition expected this...

Quite honestly the most entertained I've been by a story for a long time.

Really funny with genuine laugh out loud moments.

Adrian handles the complexities of time travel masterfully without leaving the reader confused.

The main character is tired and just wants to be left alone, pretty sure everyone over the age of 40 can relate :D

Loved it.
This is my first Tchaikovsky book and I really enjoyed it. I love stories with time travel and have watched plenty of Doctor Who to know what happens when you try and change the past. This novella sketches a worst case scenario, where the entire universe becomes so broken it no longer matters what you change in the past, because nothing is connected anymore. Definitely a very interesting concept, and it was well-executed.

I did think the narrator falls into repetition sometimes when he's talking about time and how it doesn't matter anymore, there definitely could've been less of that. But he reminded me of the grandpa in Up in a way; grouchy and longing for peace and quiet. I definitely enjoyed his interactions with the other people he encounters. There were some definite "awww" moments for me, but then again I often find grumpy characters kind of adorable. 😁

Also the descriptions of food in this reminded me of the type of descriptions you'd find of Bilbo's table in the Hobbit and it made me seriously craving a taste.
Thank you to Netgalley and  Rebellion Publishing for access to this arc.

Take time travel, end of times, a misanthropic bastard, a large pet, some villain exposition, “get off my lawn” grumpiness, an arranged marriage (yes), and the grandfather paradox, put them in a blender, hit “high” and voila – “One Day All This Will Be Yours.”

The initial chapters give us the setting. Our Narrator (who never has a name) is the survivor of a war that broke time – the only survivor. He’s not only crept to the edge of hell and looked deep into its eyes, he was in hell, wallowed around, and might have been the one to set off one of the Causality Bombs that blasted time, light, the Universe, basically everything into dust. Now he lives the life of a happy son of the soil, growing his crops in his own little Utopia, all by himself except for some robots, various things he pilfers during his time travel trips back to shards of existence, and his pet Miffly. He does have a mission though – to keep all that from ever happening again.

To do that, he’s become ruthless and uses his soldierly skills. This is his piece of paradise, damn it, and he’s not going to let anyone fuck with it. Ever. Then one day something he never envisaged, never planned for, and doesn’t know what to do with happens. Now what? Oh yeah, it’s time to up his game.

I don’t want to give away any more of the game as it’s fun to encounter the next zig or zag that will spin the story in a different direction. Our Narrator is one determined badass with a black sense of humor, lots of tech, and a pet who enjoys having her neck scratched. I kept up with the time inversions and philosophical mind bending fairly well though a couple of times it left me choking in the dust. There were a few things that might not have quite added up and some “well history is totally bent and broken so what does it matter” hand waving to urge me past a thorny “but wait …?” moment. Oh, and in the first few chapters, there’s a lot of telling and not showing.

I also saw a few ways to avoid the conundrum Our Narrator finds himself in that were easier than what he resorts to. But I was having so much fun – honestly, the idea of Hitler being chased around a field by an allosaurus had me in stitches – that I grinned and kept reading. The ending though – hmmm, that didn’t thrill me. I really wanted one thing to happen but another did. Perhaps in the end, Our Narrator can put all his hard won expertise to work and emerge triumphant over twee. After all, he is a misanthropic bastard. B
I'm a big Adrian Tchaikovsky fan, so I'm always excited when he has a new book. This one did not disappoint. One Day All This Will Be Yours is a sardonic take on time travel. It was complex and wonderful. The humor is absurd and I loved it. Tchaikovsky's brain is really next level--definitely recommend this one!
Synopsis: The unnamed narrator is the last time soldier, surviving the War To End All Wars, and the end of causality. He created a kind of bottleneck at the end of times where everyone who wants to time travel to the future has to pass through. There, the narrator holds his grounds and kills off the trespassers, no matter if they come from the steamage, from ancient Greece, or newer times. His motivation for this is that there he wants to prevent another time war. After having killed other time travellers with his superior technology, he uses his own time machine, travels back to the deceased one’s time, and corrects everything there so that nothing can come up from there anymore.

The personal downside for him is that he is a single, won’t ever produce offspring.

He’s dumbfounded when a pair of humans arrive at his planet and call him Grandpa. Even more astonished, he finds out that his future-to-be-love-interest is quite different than expected.

Review: With this hilarious novella, Tchaikovsky enters Scalzi-territory: Grand schemes waved away with a half-sentence, comical scenes, flippant tone of the grumpy, mysanthropic narrator.

The last couple of books I wondered if Tchaikovsky will go into a repetitive production cycle, or find back to his creative mood again. What a joy that he’s back again.

There is also an interesting romance in it, because the narrator’s relationship with his future wife is the exact opposite of romantic. The narrator wanted to fall into his arrogant trap that he will win against everyone, just because he can. But Tchaikovsky resists the easy way out and gives him an equal opponent.

Just don’t expect a Hard SF explanation of the setting or proper analysis of time loops. But if you love cats or dogs, you’ll adore Miffly, the fluffy pet dinosaur.

Recommended for some light, fire-and-forget reading session.
One Day All This Will Be Yours: Signed Limited Edition by Adrian Tchaikovsky | 02 Mar 2021|Rebellion / Solaris

There’s a soldier waiting at the end of time to kill anyone that tries to get past him. Not to protect the timeline, because the Causality War made that idea a non-starter, leaving all of time in disconnected shards.  He’s the last time-warrior, having killed off all the others, including numerous versions of himself, and he just wants to keep anyone from starting it all over again. So he keeps a farm,  cheerfully greets anyone who shows up in the chronological bottleneck he’s created,  kills them, and does whatever he needs to keep them from having ever shown up.

How does that all work? Causality was the first casualty of the war, so don’t worry about it too much.

Then one day someone he didn’t expect shows up, and his mission becomes much much more problematic. Suddenly he’s both the hunter and the hunted, and it’s not just the future of the past that hangs in the balance.

The bad news is that this is being released as a signed limited edition, though it’s also available in audiobook. The good news is that it’s clever, darkly funny, tremendously thought-provoking, and unlike most time travel fiction, ultimately surprising. Of course, it is. It’s by Adrian Tchaikovsky, one of the authors that manage to make science fiction fresh without being stuck in the genre’s past.
The perfect book for the end of times. And it's funny!

The story follows a misanthropic bastard who got so sick and tired of the war, decided to take matter into his own hands, and save the end of times. And he worked hard to make sure it stays that way.

Packaged in a witty, dry and sarcastic narrative voice, the book has the perfect balance between portraying the dread of war, the horror that is time machines, and still keep the humorous undertones throughout the book.
One of the wonderful things about Tchaikovsky’s writing is that when I pick up one of his books, I never quite know what to expect. There is only one other author I can think of who is quite so magnificently versatile – Jo Walton – and she isn’t nearly so prolific.

Even so, this one was a complete surprise – especially the magnificently dark humour. I don’t think I’ve ever read a first-person narrator of Tchaikovsky’s with such a persona, I both loved and loathed our hero’s insouciant bounciness as he works unceasingly to keep a very broken world fixed in his own unique fashion… It would be very easy to drop spoilers here that would blunt the reader’s ability to experience this book as the author intended, so I’m going to do my level best NOT to commit that sin. I was mindful that the blurb didn’t let the cat the out of the bag, so neither shall I.

But I will say that all is not what it first appears to be – I was both captivated and horrified by the unfolding events, which also left my brain aching at times. Timey-whimey stuff happens that has major consequences. But I devoured this compelling read in two sessions and surfaced after that ending, mulling over what I’d read. And wondering what I would do in similar circumstances. Highly recommended for science fiction fans who appreciate something a bit different. While I obtained an arc of One Day All This Will Be Yours from the publishers via Netgalley, the opinions I have expressed are unbiased and my own.
8/10
Time Wars – clearly the Stars are no longer enough for us. Science Fiction loves the idea of epic conflict and the idea of Time itself being constantly rewritten opens up many ideas for stories. It’s a cornerstone of the new Doctor Who; comic companies like Marvel and DC have used his for many many many and indeed many reboots; while in fiction everyone from HG Wells to Bradbury and more recently El-Mohtar and Gladstone have explored what this would mean for humanity and now into that conversation Adrian Tchaikovsky in One Day All of This Will Be Yours has delivered a darkly humorous tale that explores the last survivor of the Time War who finds to their alarm that they aren’t the last one standing.

Our unnamed narrator is the survivor of the Causality War – the war that really ended all wars as it ended up breaking the entire space time continuum. After the viciousness of a war that led to constant re-writes of history and counter strikes by time travelling armies our Traveller decided after the last battle that enough was enough. Our Traveller finally found a home in one slice of remaining time to create the Perfect Day, have a farm and take a break from it all. On occasion sampling with the aid of the last remaining time machine any moment of remaining history that appeals be it to get new farm equipment from the Soviet Union or watching a Shakespearean play. The only fly in the ointment the occasional rogue time traveller from another fragment who strays into our Traveller’s land. Our Traveller doesn’t like to share, and this usually leads for the intruder to death by dinosaur and a re-write of history for their particular society to close that avenue of time travel down one highlight making Einstein give it all up for the Patent Office. All is going well until our Traveller is told he is not going to be the last human and instead will be the founder of a brand-new twee society.

If novels like This is How You Lose The Time War are the warm ray of hope then this is the decidedly British dash of cold water to make you shiver but delivered with a cheeky grin. On the face of it our Time Traveller is and they admit it a bit of a bastard. Having had enough of the endless war that has lasted lifetimes and removed their reliable memories of their previous life and family they are fairly ruthless in sharing existence with anyone else who may change what little they now have. But Tchaikovsky cleverly builds a character firstly who you like – they have a dry but wicked sense of humour and as the story progresses, we find out how bad this war was – our lead has some serious PTSD. We end up liking them and indeed when we find out what the Causality War actually involved it may indeed be hard to blame our narrator for a decision to get away from the human race. When potential new humans do arrive, they bring all the baggage of the past with them and does anyone really want to go through that again?

I’ll be vague on the other characters that we meet as that’s very much the fun of the story. But this a novel that does have love, fear, anger and regret in it while laughing in the face of time paradoxes. Tchaikovsky turns the mood on a sixpence so one moment we can be laughing at a Les Misérables time meddling joke and then sit in awe watching the collapse of the time space continuum or stare horror watching the end of the world. Tchaikovsky is using all the standards of time travel stories and there are some easter eggs for seasoned SF fans but even for a general reader there are laughs and thoughts a plenty. How can anyone refuse a tale with a feathered dinosaur called Miffly that eats one of the most evil dictators around?

Although this is a story with some cynicism and anger at the dark side of humanity that loves to destroy things for their own gain there is also a joy in being just human expressed. Putting aside wars for enjoying the experiences that humanity creates; possibly even making a connection with someone without knowing it or a deep-seated urge to stick two fingers up to authority fingers. In other words, this is a tale that manages to be both a lot of fun but also thoughtful and hopeful. Like our Time Traveller get comfy in a chair and have a perfect day reading this with the world outside switched off.
One Day All This Will Be Yours is fun, sprightly paced, and kind of lacking in substance like cotton candy.

It's a first-person story of the last time traveling veteran of a reality warping conflict who discovers that instead of ending history, he's the beginning of a new one. It's an area of science fiction that's been well explored, and although Tchaikovsky doesn't bring much new to the table here, the resulting novella is a good disposable piece of entertainment.

Tchaikovsky excels at engaging the reader with approachable prose, and the plot is well structured. There are moments in which his writing is quotable and intensely enjoyable. But the primary protagonist doesn't seem well fleshed out, and many of the set pieces (such as the future utopian society of his descendants) seem cloying and unconvincing.

If you're a big fan of Tchaikovsky, this is worth a pick-up.

But this book is not as insightful as Tchaikovsky's previous works; not as painfully necessary or as moving as Dogs of War, not as inventive and fresh as Expert System's Brother, and not as clever and empathetic as Doors Of Eden. Given the number of books that Adrian Tchaikovsky publishes in a given year, there's bound to be a few that are weaker than the others.
<i>I have sat in the palaces of the Minoans before the Bronze Age Collapse. I have dined with the egalitarian philosophers of Harappa in the Indus Valley before the world turned and ground them to dust. I have taught whist to Archimedes shortly before a Roman soldier gutted him. Ahd yes, human achievement is a grand and splendid little candle in the great vast night of causality, but there's only so often you can watch it be snuffed out before it's easier to become the snuffer.</i>

It's not an easy thing to be the only survivor of a time war, as our narrator will shortly tell you when reading this book; the novelty of jaunting about in time wears off quickly when all you can do is wait for someone to come along and blow everything up.

Misanthropic? Certainly, but he owns it, and there's a degree of humour that helps to reduce the sting. Miffly is the only exception to his strictly enforced no visitors policy; I can see why, she's instantly endearing. In fact, I liked her more than said narrator, truth be told, even if there's plenty of evidence that he's probably right about humanity. I just prefer a little more light in the dark, as objectively good as this was.