Cover Image: Napoleon vs. the Bunnies

Napoleon vs. the Bunnies

Everyone knows the story of Napoleon, but they might not know of the war between him and furry enemies. Napoleon vs the Bunnies is a picture book that teaches a historical figure through humor. Fox brings the war between these two foes to life with vivid colors and great art work. The build up will have readers cheering for the confrontation and laughing at the anticlimax. Yet, even with the humorous ending it is still lacking in substance. It seems Fox relied heavily on the cuteness factor to carry the story. A little more substance to both sides of the war would have pushed this picture book to another level
What a fun way to teach the history of Napoleon!! This was such a cute and fun book that I could see this as a tool to easily teach history. The illustrations are beyond cute & the book was easy to not only read but easy for my kids to follow along. This would be a perfect gift for a class library or even to just have in your own home library!
Napoleon - one of the greatest military leaders the world has ever known. He fought many battles, rode into cannon fire without a second thought, conquered vast swaths of land...

But there was one thing Napoleon feared above all else.

Bunnies.

BUNNIES! With their cute lil' bunny eyes.

I loved this picture book - the illustrations are bright, adorable and colorful, and it's full of all sorts of fascinating historical tidbits that will definitely get kids interested in history. Also: bunnies. Adorable, cuddly, fuzzy lil' bunnies! No one is a match for their cuteness. No one.
I read this book to my daughter and she loved it from the pictures to the story she found it hilarious. Napoleon has a great plan to have a bunny hunt, unfortunately, the bunnies have other plans. Also loved how at the end of the book some details were given about who Napoleon was to readers who may not be familiar with this historical figure.
Is this the beginning of a head-to-head history series? I liked the background on Napoleon, but there wasn't much on the actual event with the bunnies. The info at the end was interesting. I'd never heard of this historical event before. Will kids like this book, or is it more for parents?
Napolean vs. the Bunnies is an absolute heart-warming book about a true event in history. It is a story that I had never heard about, and it is one that I would love, love to share with my students.

The story about a famous conquer that allows for a light-hearted discussion is one that I would want any kid to enjoy. I loved how Napoleon was unable to conquer the sweet-eyed bunnies.

The illustrations are a hoot. They are soft and just perfectly tailored to fit the theme of the story. I also loved the inclusion of French dialogue between the characters.
This is ADORABLE! I love learning history like this - so ridiculous that it sounds made up. This book will appeal to young kids learning about the world and learning that even the biggest bullies can be taken down by laughter! This is a wonderful story!
A funny yet historical book for kids, promoting the idea that history can be fun! Especially when the French and bunnies are involved
This book was sent to me for review from netgalley.

So this story is focused around napoleon and gives you some background information and then focuses on a lesser known fact about him focused around bunnies!

What i really liked was the humour, the use of french vocabulary and the illustrations. But my I felt the book needed to be longer, I know it’s based of a non-fiction event but I feel like the book left me wanting a bit more of a storyline. You get the arc but then the story kind of stops there and because it’s presented like fiction you are left a little hanging. I love the little facts at the end of the book, but I wanted more fiction I guess than fact, I wanted to see the bunnies getting up to mischief and things like that... maybe I have watched and read too much Peter rabbit!?

All in all the books is enjoyable and has a lot of potential, I just wanted a bit more story.
This book focuses on one of Napoleon's lesser-known battles. That is, an occasion when his desire to go hunting was stymied by the friendliness of the proposed victims. I enjoyed reading this book and found myself learning little tidbits about French history that I hadn't been expecting. The author has a lovely sense of humor, and the story is just right for emerging readers. I'll have to explain that "les fluffy bunneez" is not real French, but that's okay.
This nonfiction picture book is adorable and hilarious, and I enjoyed it very much. The text is fun and informal without being too childish, and incorporates both French and English while always making sure that the French phrases and dialogue are completely understandable from context clues. The story about Napoleon being "defeated" by domesticated bunnies when he expected to hunt wild rabbits is hilarious and perfectly illustrated, and this book will be a lot of fun for both kids and adults. It appears that this is the first book in a series, and if so, I will definitely want to read about whatever odd historical situations the author writes about next!
ARC Copy...hehe funny and whimsical. Mix of historical fact with "what if that happened" humor. I would this would be a good read-a-lot for the kiddies plus zee the fluffy bunnies do look cute!
Loved to learn about Napoleon, but from a slightly different side than you are taught at school!
Great book that I enjoyed as an adult, so I am sure will be enjoyed by children too.
I love books that have little facts at the end too.
In this picture book, the reader learns a slightly lesser known fact of Napoleon.  It explains the time that Napoleon was chased away by rabbits.

The illustrations in this book are wonderful and add to the enchantment of the story.  Children and teachers will enjoy this book as it tells a true story in history.  I highly recommned this book as a read aloud and/or for your classroom library.
If you want to know how an excessively flippant young reader can teach an adult something, here's an example.  I was for some time doubting the truth of this story – that Napoleon fled a 'battlefield' (it wasn't a battlefield as such) in the face of an army (it wasn't per se an army) of cuddly bunnies –  but it seems to be true.  I'll leave it to you to explore this book and find out the hows, whys and wherefores.  Pleasant illustrations, and almost a welcome revival of Franglais, add to the sheer surprise of the actual event portrayed, and make a welcome book.  It comes with the impression it wants to be part of a series, a franchise of "Head-to-Head Histories".  Well I would love this to run and run as an idea, but I doubt there could be ten titles under that banner.  Having said that, the creators clearly knew something I didn't, so anything is possible.

PS No, you're right, as well – it's impossible to be "excessively" flippant.
Even as an adult reader, I thoroughly enjoyed learning this odd little historical tale about someone I've studied so much more formally. Napoleon vs. the Bunnies (by the way, missed opportunity to call it Napoleon Bunaparte there, but oh well) does a good job of quickly summing up who Napoleon was so kids can get on to the fun bit - the part with all the rabbits. The story is told efficiently and entertainingly, while the illustrations are effective and appealing in a playful, cartoonish way. The whole package is charming and could be quite fun for reading aloud at storytime!

Thank you to NetGalley and Kids Can Press for the advance review copy!
Playful and laugh-out-loud child-friendly picture book about the famous general Napoleon Bonaparte and his little-known defeat at the hands (paws?) of several hundred bunnies gathered for a (obviously failed) rabbit hunt. The illustrations are cute and the narrative knowing in a way that should appeal to adults as well as children.