Cover Image: The Darkest Flower

The Darkest Flower

Dnf, I did not like this one. I couldn’t get into the plot and overall story. I was just bored and gave up about 30% in.
It was like turning a rock upside down and finding creepy things underneath. Women so tied to their positions in schools and on boards that they only see position and postering as fulfillment. When these are challenged or threatened drastic measures are the only answer. Enter Kiro into this world of poisoned smoothies and adult mean girl tactics. You may chuckle at the mirror effect it may cause you to experience.
This just didn’t end up being a book that interested me. When I first read the premise, I was very excited and invested, but getting into it made it clear that it just wasn’t for me. Hopefully it works for others out there!
This book was so fun to read, fast paced and well developed.  I thought it was an interesting technique to show the perspective of an attorney and her client during a trial for attempted murder.  At first. PTA mom Kira comes off as merely overbearing in her parental style, but over the course of the story, it becomes clear that her depravity knows no depths.  Meanwhile, her attorney Alison is struggling with whether the case, and her career, are worth more to her than her integrity.  The only thing that it really didn't need was a love story, which seemed like an afterthought.

Thank you to netgalley for an advance copy!
The Darkest Flower is a fast-paced, addictive legal thriller about the PTA president accused of murdering a fellow mom in the PTA at a child's graduation party. The plot is filled with plenty of twists. Highly recommended!
DNF - Did not finish. I decided not to keep reading this title because I did not connect with the writing or plot. Thank you, NetGalley and publisher for the early copy!
Enjoyable read with characters that are believable and a tightly plotted story.  The tension and pacing were excellent and maintained the flow very well.
I wanted to like this.. It sounded good and I liked the alternating chapters but I just had to force myself to keep reading. Kira was terrible, and I know she was supposed to be, but I just couldn't deal. Sometimes I have books where I hate the character but still love the book - not this time. Can't quite explain why, this one just wasn't for me.
Finally got around to reading this one and I absolutely loved it! It was so interesting and kept me invested the entire time. I loved the characters and the storyline. I found the mystery to be both intriguing and original. I really do not ever want to be a part of the PTA after reading this one! But in all seriousness, I really enjoyed this novel!
3 stars.  Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the arc!

Kira is the PTA President, imagine the undying motherly love of Cersei Lannister but with the "Bless Your Heart" Southern charm of Steel Magnolias, and she is on trial for poisoning another Mom in the PTA.

Allison is the lawyer who Kira chooses to represent her.  She is a brown paper back and incredibly boring and not that bright.

Kira's chapters were the highlight of the book.  The plot twist was decent but I figured it out before Allison.  Reads like a cozy mystery.  The cover is misleading.  It isn't dark or twisty.
I grabbed this one because 1. I love the cover 2. It was free and 3. the plot. This is was great all the way around.
Perfect elementary PTA president Kira has been accused of poisoning another mom at a school event.  What? This could not be the case for wealthy, popular Kira.  She hires a defense attorney, Allison Barton who digs into what really happened on that day and discovers just how far friendships go in this suburban neighborhood.  Appearances aren't all they are cracked up to be and who could do such a vicious act surrounded by graduating 5th graders?

An enjoyable read that keeps the reader guessing who was the one who knowingly gave a poisonous smoothie to a fellow parent and the motive behind it.  I liked the writing style as it jumped between Kira and Allison's perspective of the situation and eventually the trial.

Thank you to #netgalley and #thomasandmercer for this copy.  This title was published June 1, 2021.
Not for me. Tried to read it many times. Didn’t like the writing style. Thanks for the opportunity to read it.
Drawn to the purples of the cover and the fact it was a mystery thriller, I opened on my Kindle Kristin Wright's new book "The Darkest Flower". What a ride it turned out to be as we meet lawyer Allison Barton who sadly is working for a pompous jerk but people love to throw money at him, so she is getting the odd good case. Her new client is a mother of two and the president of not only the PTA but the Garden Club and she has her fingers in other pies too. She has been accused of poisoning another mother on the PTA as she handed her a cup that contained aconite aka wolfsbane. Our accused Kira Grant seems innocent but with these PTA mothers you never really know how far they will go and as Allison digs deeper into the case and checks out the other mothers with a motive, she will soon realize that mothers will go to lengths and some nasty to protect their children or even secure their children's futures. I have to admit this book did keep me guessing right to the end to see if Kira Grant was innocent or not, as there were at moments you were like she's guilty whereas other moments were like she's innocent and being framed as there were quite a few people with a motive to harm Summer. I am now looking forward to reading more of the Allison Barton series and seeing which direction and themes that Kristin Wright will come up with to keep the series fresh.
I really liked the alternating narrators, Allison and Kira. I really liked Allison from the start, and couldn’t stand Kira! I love strong female characters, so that also added to it for me. I liked the way the investigation and the case went, and I had an idea of where it was going, but I was still surprised by the outcome. I am not a mom, so I am not familiar with the PTA inner workings, or feeling the competition with other parents over grades, sports, etc. Some of that went over my head, but I really enjoyed the story. I am excited that this was book 1 of a new series, and I will definitely be reading the next one.
This one right here was a doozy! I really thought I had this one- my theory was flawless, all the signs were pointing right towards the perpetrator, and I was still very wrong! This was a fun and exciting read and the twist was not at all what I was expecting!

I was very impressed with the law jargon and come to find out, the author graduated with a law degree and currently practices law. I see so many books where the author merely studies and does research on the profession of the main character (captain of a boat, an FBI agent, etc.) and misses the mark. It was nice to know that the author really did know what she was writing about which made the plot that much more believable!

Speaking of the main characters… Kira Grant had me wanting to rip my hair out! She is my LEAST favorite type of person! Incredibly narcissistic, fake as hell, two-faced, and just all around a terrible excuse for a human being. But boy was she entertaining! Allison Barton on the other hand was much more palpable. I’ll admit I wasn’t crazy about her relationship with her lawyer friend from down the street. It was very middle school don’t-get-caught and this-isn’t-professional and hiding-our-relationship-is-such-a-turn-on; it was just weird in my opinion.

Overall, The Darkest Flower was a fun, fast-paced read from start to finish! A solid 4-star rating! I’m looking forward to continuing Allison Barton’s lawyer journey!

Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Loved this book! The characters and the story kept me reading until the end! I enjoyed the storyline and the characters throughout the book. Such a great read to get lost in. I highly recommend this book! Thank you for letting me review this book!
This legal drama (soft thriller?) follows Kira, a housewife and PTA president, who is charged with poisoning her best friend, and Allison, the lawyer representing her in court. We get the story from both of their points of view and slowly discover the truth of what happened on the fateful day that Summer Peerman nearly died.

I loved this book. Allison is a fantastic and well-rounded character and Kira is cold and unlikeable but multi-faceted enough to still be intriguing. The story moves along quickly, with only a slight lull around the 30% mark, and I found myself thinking about the story every time I put it down.

I thought it handled topics like race and privilege really well, and the way they were incorporated into the narrative felt very natural. I also loved the development of Allison’s story and her relationships with Maureen, Emmet, and her daughter Libby. I noticed that this is the first book in a series and I’m so excited to read what happens next.
The story is told from the viewpoint of two women. One is Kira, the chair of the PTA who has been accused of trying to poison her best friend and the other is Allison, her lawyer. The story follows the investigation and trial but the most enjoyable parts are the revealing of Kira’s  character and the budding romance Allison has with the prosecutor. This was a great read and I highly recommend it. Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and provide an honest review of this arc.

This was the first book I've read by this author and I will admit, I enjoyed it.  The story was interesting, held my attention.  For part of the book, one of the main characters, Kira, sounded like a typical high school mean girl even though she was an adult and a mother.  There were other times that I really liked the main character (which we're probably not supposed to based on her behavior).  She was the typical privileged rich suburban white woman that believes she's the smartest person in the room, and her arrogance flowed through the majority of the book.  The other main character of the book was likeable enough but a bit whiney and showed moral superiority that was annoying sometimes.  Overall the story was good and I would recommend this book for others.  I don't know that this is technically a thriller, more like a domestic suspense perhaps.  It looks like this is the first book in the series and will be sure to pick up the second in the series to read as well.