Cover Image: ABC of Gender Identity

ABC of Gender Identity

A simple and clear introduction to the ABCs of gender for younger children. And personally speaking, adults. I learnt a lot about the different terms used in the LGBTQIA community wrt gender. Some were terms that I had never come across before.

Thank you to the authors for educating children as well as adults with this easy guide to gender,
The only con was that the illustrations, while colourful, were not very attractive.

Overall, a really nice book to spread awareness and a good starting point for adults to talk to their children about gender.
I have often wondered what different gender terms mean.  Some are older and you know right away or are easy to assess, others seem to be used interchangeably, but do have solid meanings, and others are brand new to this reader, like Xirl/Xoy, or Kynigender.  This book was a wonderful first step in understanding some of these.  There is something for everyone to learn.
I read an advanced copy courtesy of NetGalley. It's a simplistic explanation of 26 different gender identities. As someone who is trying to better understand marginalized people, it's a great introduction to lesser known genders. There's an excellent explanation of how better to use the book to explore and explain with your child.
This was a quick and easy conversation starter on gender identity. I appreciated the bold colors and brief definitions. As a parent I am always looking for ways to introduce my daughter to the realities of life including respecting gender and this book gave me some new language to share with her.

I intend to use this as a platform and guide in our discussions but also to use this as a starting point to finding more sources on some of the newer terms that I was not as familiar with.
I think the intention of this book is good but I think it would more be a book for older children or adults rather than younger chuldren. It has cute drawings with a cute alphabet concept but the descriptions are quite simplistic and not necessarily relevant to right now which can be hard when the terminology is constantly changing.
WOW! I learned so much while I read this to my little one. This helps open up conversations and builds vocabulary for future conversations about gender identity. I am so impressed with the thoroughness of the concepts.
Though short, I learned a lot from the ABC of Gender Identity book. I was unaware there were so many. I also learned that some identities that I thought I knew the meaning of were actually incorrect. I think this would be a great book for kids and adults alike.
I love the idea of this book and think it would be a great recommendation for specific children/students. While the concepts in the book are important for all children to understand, there are so many big constructs in the book that would need very thorough explanations with adults. While the book is set up as an alphabet book, I felt that most children would really need to be upper-elementary before exploring these concepts and at that point an alphabet book may not be as engaging to them.
Unfortunately, I was somewhat disappointed with this title. While it has great potential, a lot of the terms and definitions were outdated, like the awkwardly phrased and no longer used "Gender Reassigned." or inappropriate, such as defining "Queer" and "Transgender" in the exact same terms.
I received an eARC of this book in return for an honest review; thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity.

This book takes a very complicated subject and reduces it to fairly simple terms. I would recommend this book as an introductory aid for an older child/teen who is interested in learning more about gender identity. The art style is very simple and is a good compliment to the simple definitions provided.

I liked the inclusion of discussion points and the matter of fact way the information is presented.

If you are seeking to understand more about different kinds of gender  identity and get confused by differing online resources, this book is a solid introduction.
the ABCs of Gender Identity would be a great addition to any classroom or school library, as well as in the homes of younger and older children. I'm an educator who has worked with children for 10 years and I am a very out and proud person, and this book still had identities I was unaware of, so there are things to learn for all ages.
This book is not only great for teaching children about gender identity terms, it is informative for adults too.  There were terms that I was not familiar with, but now I have a general definition to go with it.  The language is simple and easy to understand.  I appreciate the inclusive illustrations as well.  A great addition to any inclusive library.
I found this book very helpful as a parent with simple explanations all in one place as a reference. Some terms were unknown to me, so that was particularly helpful.

The bright colours of the background and characters are very appealing and my son was drawn to them. We would use this book as a referee material to make sure we understand terms we here.

Overall a very useful book, for children and adults who are trying to understand new terminology.
This is a colorful and interesting way to help children understand gender identity. But also to help adults and teenagers and anyone really. Many of these terms I had never heard of before and helped me to understand how gender identity is much more complex than I ever realized.
OMG this book is so cute. I love it. This is important for even adults to read. I am so glad that this book will exist and that kids will be able to know more about gender than "boy" and "girl"! I am so glad I got to get this and will be purchasing for my nieces and for my teacher friends!
i think the intention was good. but the outcome could have been better. a few terms were kind of.. random and out of place. just a sentence or two to describe those terms are very minimalist, too. a few more sentences to start a conversation with your child would have been an improvement.

thank you netgalley for the arc in exchange for an honest opinion.
I find this book to be more helpful for parents than for their children. Since this subject of gender is very difficult for parents to discuss with their children, this book helps in explaining in a very understandable words the main terms associated with gender diversity. For each letter of the alphabet, a term related to gender identity is named and defined in a very brief manner.
Some of the words like Yinyang Ren, were unfamiliar for me as well. The books can be used as a good opportunity to start conversation with our children about gender and diversity.
I am not an expert on gender identity by far but i know a good bit and I had never heard of a LOT of these terms. I didn't rush to judgement, though. I did some more research. I asked friends who were more knowledgable than I, then I did even more research. Ultimately, I discovered that many of these terms exist predominately on Tumblr. I'm not trying to denounce anyones gender identity and clearly some people DO use these terms but including them in a book like this really just seems to be confusing and will possibly make people less likely to try to learn about gender identities. I understand the desire to make people with less common gender identities feel included, so I am torn on this issue. Most people I asked felt similar. I want everyone to feel included but I also want people to accept different gender identities and terms like "witchgender" are not going to help people take this seriously. I DO take it seriously and that one still made me want to roll my eyes. I don't know, ultimately, I don't know how I feel about this book. I'm not even sure I am entitled to an opinion on it, which is why I'm not going to give it a low rating. It's not my place to say what is and what isn't a valid gender identity. I won't read it to my kid because I have other books on the subject that I feel will connect with her more but I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying it for their kids.
There are so many words to describe gender identity that I had not known about before reading through this book with my kid! I think this book gives adults and children a great jumping off point to start having conversations around different ways people express gender, but I think the presentation as an ABC story oversimplifies a lot of terms that have overlapping meanings. Regardless, I think this is an excellent starting point and helps fill a gap in children’s books that sorely needs filling.
I really struggled with this title. Sure, the premise is lovely and necessary: to open the discussion between parent and child around gender identity by following the alphabet. However, I'm not even sure that an adult who has researched these genders would understand them better, as their online definitions can vary so much. Indeed, the main failure with the presentation of these 26 terms is their poor and overly generalized definition. Some words are sometimes used to mean something other than gender or in other languages, which seems to be more inclusive, but ultimately breaks the original construction. In my opinion, this is a missed opportunity, especially for a real introduction to trans- and non-binarity, as many important terms have been left out in favour of including K, Y and Z words. Even the illustrations are not well done and do not encourage reading. Children need more books about the LGBT+ community but I doubt this one is really helpful. Maybe my expectations for it were too high but either way I'm disappointed.