Cover Image: ABC of Gender Identity

ABC of Gender Identity

ABC of Gender Identity is intended as a guide for caregivers to read with their children. It does have a helpful section for parents at the end of the book on how to talk further with their kids. The actual ABCs part of it was something that I think kids would have a hard time - some of the terminology used within the definitions was pretty advanced for most adults, let alone children. The illustrations are spare and flat. I think the idea of this book is great, it just doesn't really feel like it's intended for kids at all. However, I will still recommend the purchase for my library because it does cover a lot of different gender identities that are not covered in other books.
Thank you #netgalley for the opportunity to read the book ABC of Gender Identity prior to publication. The book intrigued me instantly and I was very surprised by how many identifications I was not aware of and hadn’t heard before. The book is almost exactly what it sounds like - a non-threatening book that displays the alphabet A-Z in colourful lettering and defines each identity in the simplest ways. I would never have known there is over 26 gender identities.

While the book is clearly geared towards children and their parents to help navigate the important topic of gender identity, as an adult I found it thoroughly worth the read and would recommend it for adults looking to understand more about gender identity.
At the end of the book is helpful discussion points to assist adults with talking about gender identity with their children.

#ABCofGenderIdentity #Netgalleyreview
This book will be extremely challenging for younger children to understand. When you think of ABCs, you generally think of the alphabet and learning. While this book was informative, it struggled to get the major point across. A 3 year old will struggle with understanding this book and its material. I think more pictures would be helpful or even conversations between people as they go...more story like will be easier to understand.
i thought i would read ABCs of gender to my nieces but after reading it, i don't think so. the pictures were SHIT and i dont understand how a 3 yr old is going to understand what witchgender is

its such a low effort book... its unreal it legit looks like someone got the paint tool out. i could do a better job explaining transgender people to my nieces with impromptu sock puppets

the advice to adults page is also incredibly low effort. i thought it would help me come up with questions to ask children but what do you think a child would answer to, "do you know anyone who identifies as witchgender?" of course they fucking haven't? i didn't even know what it was until i read the book! there should be explainers for these terms for adults at the end so we can give insightful answers to children.
I love the concept of this book. I also really enjoyed the simple and colorful illustrations. However, I think there needs to be more text and information to supplement the terms in this book. I also think it would be better if the language was more accessible for children. Some of the wording "fluctuates" and "associates" in the definitions seem at too high of a level for a child to understand. I realize that an adult would preferably reading with them but that also gives the adult even more to breakdown and explain with the child.
ABC of Gender Identity by Devika Dalal is a book aimed at children but is suitable for all ages. Gender identity, sexuality, disability, families, race, religion and illness are just some of the important topics I feel should be discussed more, both in a general sense and on a deeper level, with adults and with children. This book is the perfect starting point to learn about gender identity for yourself and with children. There are so many terms in this book that I had not heard of before reading and I would have previously said I was fairly knowledgeable on the topic. It was a great opportunity for me to learn more about gender identity. To be able to learn about these terms with children and other people provides them with an incredible opportunity to become more accepting of everyone and their identities. There are not many books like this out there in the world and there should be more.

Books like this are a clear example of how powerful literature can be and it should be appreciated and utilised greater than it currently is. This book is for everybody. It shrinks the taboo, raises awareness, improves education and is a fantastic little book. The only thing I think would be a fantastic addition to the current content of the book is some illustrations to accompany each term mentioned, so enhance the learning and understanding of each term.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give my own, honest opinion.
Introducing adults and children to gender identity is fast becoming necessary. While I am familiar with a lot of these gender identities, there were a few which I have not heard, because they are either not commonly used or haven't been popularised by the mainstream media, so I did appreciate learning of these new gender identities.
I think the use of a book to encourage discussion between parents/carers with children who may be questioning their gender identity or even those who would like to learn more, is a great idea.

So while I appreciate the overall concept of the book, I think the execution of it was a little off. To me the illustrations and style of the book appeared to be skewed to preschool age, as opposed to a 5+ year old age to which it is targeted. I think it could've done without the illustrated characters altogether. Instead, more information on each gender identity, even going as far as providing some sort of example, would have been more helpful for both parents who aren't familiar with gender identities and for children who are questioning their own gender identities.
Received a copy of ABC of Gender Identity to review from Netgalley. The book is colourful, but the illustrations resemble something from paint. Not my favourite, but for a children’s book it’s important to note. I started reading this book with my 4 year old and then had trouble explaining some of the terminology as some of it was new to myself. I’m not sure what age group it’s geared towards, but as an ABC book I figured toddlers and up. I’d recommend parents read over it once or twice before and the handy guide at the end, so that they can better prepare themselves to explain the book as Gender Identity isn’t as explained in this depth on a normal basis as much as it should be. Parents and Children will both learn a lot from this book, just wish the illustrations had a bit more texture and depth.
First off, I didn't realize there was an entire alphabet of terms for gender identity - shows how much I know. Very enlightening, but it's amazing to know that there are books like this out there to help explain these terms and empower kids to embrace them.
ABC of Gender Identity is an alphabetical list of terms related to gender. The terms include many that are not yet widely used, and thus could be a good resource for those hoping to learn more about gender identity.

The text of the book reads very much like a glossary. Although the book is marketed toward young readers, there has been little to no attempt made to to turn academic definitions into language that young children can understand/relate to. While the bright colors are visually appealing, the simple illustrations on each page are reminiscent of free clip art. I would not recommend this book in it's current version to teachers or parents of young children.
This is an interesting book.  I think it's a nice resource to have.  I have not seen another book like this and can really help with the discussion on different genders.
This picture book was short, sweet and very educational! It not only provides vital information regarding gender identity that many children (and adults, for that matter!) would greatly benefit from, but normalizes identities separate from allocishet. This book is a game-changer, and I'd absolutely love to see this in classrooms, daycares and households across the country!
Kids often ask their parents questions that they feel uncomfortable about or unprepared to answer. Children can learn about LGBT people through this book. Educational and approachable for kids, but I think there should be more. Tho it was fine for the kids, very colorful. This came with 26 gender identities listed within it. For each letter of the alphabet, a term related to gender identity is named and defined in a very brief manner. It’s both a super helpful and accessible place to start for young people who are dipping their toes into the LGBTQIA+ water. A fantastic crash course in LGBT+ terms, identities, and concepts.

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC
Expected Publication: 21st June 2021
I have always loved the books similar to these such as ‘The ABC of Equality’. So when I saw this one, I thought I’d give it a go. Obviously, I’m an adult and not the target audience as such.

Some of the gender identities in this book, I’ve never heard of before and after reading them, I was left more confused. After trying to search online for more of an understanding, all that came up was a couple of tumblr blogs. I know that the book can’t go into too much detail where it’s aimed at young children, but I would have liked a bit more information, or even a ‘similar to’, so I could easier understand them. I have no idea how I would answer questions if a child asked me if I can’t find much more information elsewhere. I would have loved additional trustworthy resources listed in the back so I could research more, or even a list of books for further reading.

This would be a good introduction for a conversation into the confusing world of gender identity, and I appreciate what this book was trying to do, but it felt a little aimless. It feels like the author was just trying to find any label to fill in the specific letter in the alphabet.

I did like the guide for adults at the end of the book though and I found that the questions could be helpful. I liked what the book was trying to do, but I don’t think it did it successfully
This children’s book is adorable and educational. It gives visibility to a myriad of gender identities, some I had never heard of myself. Educating kids on diversity not only helps them be more accepting but also helps them identify difficult feelings they might have with their own identity as they grow.
A cute book that explains the differences in gender identities. There are a few in here I didn’t know about so is more comprehensive than a starter for ten
After reading this book I feel my brain throbbing with new knowledge even though the pictures and small size make it seem like nothing but a kid's book ; the topic of gender wasnt looked at so deeply when I was a kid so I knew I had more to learn. This book helped me get a start in a fun and less intimidating manner. While it is a great way for kids to learn about themselves and others ; it can also be used for all ages. I highly recommend this if you've grown curious due to talks of gender around you or just your own questioning of your own gender.
As a parent who is passionate about equality and the need for inclusivity, this book really appealed to me. Since it’s aimed at children aged 5+, I didn’t think it would be suitable for reading with my 3 year old. However, he LOVED it! It’s colourful and cheerful. The big bold letters are quickly followed by a term that relates to gender identity which is then explained in easy to understand terminology. I think it was really well done and I can’t wait to purchase a copy to use both for leisure and for home-schooling purposes in the future.
The ABC of Gender Identity was a lovely read. I enjoyed the bright colors and simple explanations. I learned some new terms I had never heard of, which was very interesting. Some of the definitions also sneakily put in some other less known terms to expand upon the theme. I would definitely use this book in my classrooms, with my nanny children, and in after school programs. I think it is a great starting point for what can at times be a confusing or scary topic..
Adorable introduction to gender identity in a format suitable for children. Helpful and unique in the current book market. Totally something I will recommend to friends and family when I try to explain how I view my gender.