Cover Image: Mary Anning

Mary Anning

A good introduction for little ones to Mary Anning, one of the first female paleontologists. Despite not being allowed a university education, she studied fossils on her own and made many discoveries, including the first correctly identified ichthyosaur skeleton, the first two nearly complete plesiosaur skeletons, the first pterosaur skeleton outside of Germany, and she figured out that some fossilized orbs that were believed to be bezoar stones by scientists at the time were actually fossilized dinosaur poop! This book, as the others in this series, is a good starting point to get kids interested and want to learn more.

#MaryAnning #NetGalley
I love all if the little people, big dreams books. This is the first one where I honestly hadn't known who the subject was prior to reading this book. I was fascinated with Mary's discoveries. She definitely is a role model for girls. I'm glad she got recognition for her achievements, especially after men tried to take the credit from her.
A great teaching tool for the classroom. Students learn not only the history of dinosaur discoveries, but also the life of woman instrumental in discovering them. Perfect for elementary and middle grade Women’s History studies and science classes.
Another win for Maria Isabel Sanchez Vergara! Mary Anning was an avid fossil hunter who was underappreciated by her male peers at the time. This book is a good introduction to Anning's life.

Every so often I think of book pairings for mother and children: A parent who has read Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures could flesh out this slim tome with more information about Anning.
I love reading about women I never knew existed.  Mary Anning is just such a person.  I didn’t know there was a “Mother of Paleontology”.  I hope this book gets this wonderful historical fiction more attention from modern kids.
This is another great addition to the Little People, Big Dreams series. I hadn't heard about Mary Anning, but do recall hearing about a woman whose information and palaeontology finds had be claimed by men. Now I know who that was and more about this remarkable young woman. Mary used to go fossil hunting with her father as a young girl. She didn't always know what she found, but she cleaned them up and sold them to tourists. One day a lady gave her a book that changed her life. She learned how to read and began seriously searching for fossils and dinosaur bones. The first skeleton was found by her brother, but she was the one who excavated it and shared it with the world. She worked hard for years, sharing her finds with male archaeologists, and teaching them, while they took credit for her finds. Eventually she was recognized and offered membership in the Geological Society of London, eventually becoming known as the Mother of Paleontology. I loved the quote in the book about her journey: "Sometimes people won't recognize your achievements, but don't worry! Time will place them where they belong." A great book for young children, especially girls to learn about a smart, female scientist, but also a young girl who persevered and followed her dreams.
Mary Anning is a children's picture book about the first female paleontologist. Young children will like the story and pictures and will learn about her contribution to science.
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book for my honest review.
"I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."
I love this series of children's biographies. This story of Mary Anning was so interesting. I had never heard of her before, but I think that is kind of the point. Women have been so undervalued through out history and she achieved something great on her own.
Very cute story. I have read about Mary Anning but still couldnt help reading the one with illustrations. Well done illustrations. Funny about dog loving bones. She sells sea shells by the seashore. Had to say that.
Loved this story of Mary Anning's childhood and how she became interested in bones, fossils, dinosaurs and all that is old. To hear a story of a young girl of her time doing what she did is inspiring and reminds women and girls that nothing is too far out of reach. Great illustrations, an easy read for kids and it got their attention to find out more about Mary's life. I received an advanced reader ecopy from Netgalley and these are my thoughts.
Another great addition to the Little People, Big Dreams series! This edition was based on The Mother of Paleontology, Mary Anning. Her story was an interesting one and this was the first time I had heard of her contributions to the discovery of dinosaur fossils.

This little book raises topics of discussion to have with children about women's contributions to their occupations in history that were often exploited by men who would claim the work as their own to profit from. Mary Anning's discoveries were essential to history and the story ended on a hopeful note as she did finally receive recognition for her contributions to Paleontology. This story is a wonderful for any child with an interest in dinosaur fossils.

Little People, Big Dreams: Mary Anning by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara
Publishing on: March 16, 2021
Rating: 5/5
This was a cute book that would be interesting to young explorers. I had never heard of this scientist, but I love being able to expose my daughter to inspiring women. The story is a little sad and a little hopeful, and would initiate some interesting conversations with children.
One of my favs in the Little People, BIG DREAMS series of short bios for kids. Mary Anning became the world’s first fossil scientist. Born 10th to a poor British family, she hunted bones with her father, later finding a rare full skeleton of an extinct mammal reptile. Soon her knowledge led to advising the Geological Society, which stole her ideas, as she was an “uneducated” woman. Not until years later was she lionized and made a Society member. Her message: If your efforts go unrecognized, “Time will place them where they belong.” Highly recommended!

5 of 5 Stars
Pub Date 09 Mar 2021
#MaryAnning #NetGalley

Thanks to the author, Quarto Publishing Group – Frances Lincoln Children's Books,
and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
This is a book in a wonderful series from this author. You find out about Mary Anning, the first person to ever find dinosaur pieces!! Because of her and finding fossils, she became the Mother of Paleontology. I loved that at the end it showed real pictures of what the fossils looked like.
This is about Mary Anning, who became known as The Mother of Paleontology! She did this by herself, from working on her families land and reading books by herself. Amazing! She finds the 1st Complete Skeleton Creature dating back to the Dinosaurs. She even finds Dinosaur Poop! So, her work is displayed at the Prestigious British Museum.

However, many scientists were so happy to meet with Mary, and used her incredible work, but didn’t ever even mention her name. It’s ok though, ‘Sometimes People won’t recognize your achievements, but don’t worry. Time will place them where they belong. Now that is one smart woman. She was right of course, b/c we get to read all about her. Thank you for the honor, Mary Anning.

Wonderful Book for children interested in science, especially young girls. A much needed Book to add to every school and library, so kids know their passions can become big achievements some day! Definitely Recommend!

Illustrations are Terrific, too and always make these books extra special.

Thank You, NetGalley, Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara, and Frances Lincoln Children’s Books for an ARC of this tremendous book.
I can't get enough of the Little People, Big Dreams books. I think they are the perfect biographies for children because they are more of a story than just a list of facts. I recently read another picture book about Mary Anning but it had more about her adult life, so focusing on her childhood really added to the full picture of such an extraordinary lady! Kids of all ages will be drawn to the beautiful illustrations and topic that most young kids enjoy- bones, fossils, dinosaurs and of course the fun fossilized poop page! I love seeing the wide array of people that are highlighted in this series. This book did not disappoint!
Great book on Mary Anning. She was a fascinating woman and if your kids are interested in paleontology and dinosaurs, this is an informative and important part of history.
It’s no secret that I adore this series, but this is the first I’ve read in which I had no knowledge of the subject. What a fascinating story! It is sure to inspire girls (and boys) with an interest in dinosaurs to follow their dreams.
Looking for a fantastic non-fiction book that will teach you about some of the world's most incredible people? Then pick up this fantastic book (and series!)>

I didn't know about Mary Anning but man, am I glad this book taught me about her! This little girl became a leader in palaeontology! Lots of books were written about her discoveries but didn't include her name, but eventually she would be known as the Mother of Paleontology.

I highly recommend this series! It's a fun way to learn through amazing illustrations and engaging stories.

Four out of five stars.

Thank you to NetGalley, Frances Lincoln Publishing and Quarto Publishing Group for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.
Mary Anning is another wonderful addition to the Little People, Big Dreams series by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara. I enjoyed discovering another inspirational woman that I knew nothing about. Born in England in 1799, Mary became the first female paleontologist. Mary started out as a fossil collector at the age of just six and sold her discoveries in her fathers shop. She didn't gain recognition for her work until after her death due to being a female. With thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my digital copy.