Cover Image: The Rose Code

The Rose Code

Long but worth it! Quinn dazzles again with this WWII historical fiction story featuring secrecy. Instead of featuring the spies like in The Alice Network, The Rose Code features three women who work at Bletchley Park, where they were trying to break the German Enigma machine. There is intrigue, interlacing timelines, a mystery, some romance, and a traitor to be sussed out. If you like The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, The Alice Network by Quinn, or Code Name Hélène by Ariel Lawhon, you’ll like this one, too.
This was such a well written book! 3 girls become fast friends while they’re working at Bletchley park during WW2. They are trying to figure out who they are during this war while also trying to decipher codes to bring about the end of the war. But they’re friendship ends up splintering and one of them is thrust into a mental institution. Now, a few years later right before the princess Elizabeth is about to marry prince phillip, one of the friends reaches out to the other two for help. Will they come together and discover who betrayed them?

Kate Quinn does a fantastic job with researching ideas and facts for her books! Some of the characters in here are even based on real people! And you find out at the end that Kate Middleton’s grandmother worked at Bletchley park!! How very cool! This was definitely a slow build read. But it totally works with a story like this. You come to know the characters and places and truly love them and see yourself during this time! A truly great read! Thank you to Netgalley, Kate Quinn, and harperaudio for allowing me this opportunity to listen to this wonderful book in exchange for my honest review!
The Rose Code tells the story of three women who worked at Bletchley Park. Three enemies who were once friends are reunited by a strange letter written in code about the mysterious traitor of Bletchley Park. The three women have to join hands again to find the traitor. Can the three find the traitor and mend their broken friendship?

The three women, Osla, Mab, and Beth are fictional. However, it seems that Osla is inspired by a real historical figure. The three characters are vastly different, Osla is a rich socialite who happened to date Prince Phillip, the Queen’s future husband. Mab is a poor woman who strives to rise out of poverty. Beth is a woman trying to survive domestic abuse from her mother. Despite these three backgrounds, I found the characters to be a bit bland. They were very stereotypical. The character I was most interested in was Beth because she had a very tragic story. Thus, I thought they could use more development.

Overall, this was a story about friendship, choices, and forgiveness. The characters were very stereotypical. The romance which was one of the main focuses in the book was weak. I really did not like Prince Phillips’s relationship with Osla, and I think Prince Phillip made the best decision in ending up with the queen. Osla and Prince Phillip just did not connect. The mystery aspect was very little focused upon. I was disappointed by this because it was the best part in the book. I was also not impressed with the writing style. It was written in a passive voice. This novel also seemed to be very drawn out. Despite its flaws, The Rose Code reads like a soap opera because there is danger, betrayal, and scandal. I recommend this novel for fans of Code Name Verity, Code Name Helene, and The Codebreakers! The Rose Code is a light, fluffy read that is perfect for the beach!
Kate Quinn can do no wrong. Pure perfection. I loved every second of this and the audio was wonderful. I’d read anything she writes.
Review: The Rose Code by Kate Quinn 5⭐️

The Rose Code is an unforgettable story of three women during WWII and their work at Bletchley Park, where they form a bond working to decode German messages.

I was so invested in this story and it was a transporting experience to read. The Rose Code has everything I love in historical fiction - romance, friendship, mystery, betrayal, suspense, forgiveness - and is done so masterfully.

Kate always writes formidable female characters in historically non-traditional roles - spies, huntresses, and now code breakers. Each woman had her own distinct story but they came together so seamlessly, growing throughout the story both individually and collectively.

And the twists, so well executed and sprinkled throughout the book to keep your attention for 600+ pages. As with her other books, the end is action packed bringing the drama.

Make sure to read the author's note, the book is well researched and will have you googling all about Bletchley Park and enigma.

#kelseareads #bookstagram #therosecode #katequinn #historicalfiction #bookreivew #fivestarread #booksilove
I really enjoyed this book. The story is very detailed so you know the author did her research. I found the whole story to be fascinating and I was drawn in from the start. I highly recommend this one to anyone who is considering it! A must read!
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I always get a little nervous about reading Historical Fiction because it often takes a long while before I find myself really pulled into a book (just simply because of pacing usually). However, this one took me by surprise! Kate Quinn is an amazing writer & this story is brilliant! Honestly, if I could recommend only one historical fiction book to read from the last few years, this would be the one. It definitely raised my interest in reading more historical fiction, especially from Quinn!
In all honestly I had a hard time getting into The Rose Code, I’ve actually tried starting it more than once & maybe it was the pacing but I just could get hooked….
This was a lovely historical fiction. I loved learning about a topic I didn't really know of before this. The three main girls all piqued my interest and were each fascinating characters. I loved the different types of people they all were and they meshed well together. Their personalities were really well created and complex. I loved the overall plot of the book but also really liked a lot of the subplots. I honestly just found this book really fascinating and just can't find much I didn't like about it. I found it a little slow at points but I'm very glad I stuck it out.
Love love love love love this audiobook! This was my first Kate Quinn and will definitely not be my last! The historical aspect of this book was so interesting and I loved the main character!
Kate Quinn has a way of breaking your heart completely, and then making it whole again in 600 pages or less. Her attention to historical detail is incredible, and the way she writes personal relationships is breathtaking.

If you are a fan of historical fiction, you need to read this novel!
There's no doubt Kate Quinn is a fantastic storyteller. She transports you to where the book takes place and you see and feel all the things. This one could have been a tad shorter, but it was a great historical fiction which makes me wonder why i don't read this genre enough!
Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this title.

Kate Quinn is a master storyteller and this one did not disappoint. The audio was excellent and kept me engaged from start to finish.
We follow the lives of 3 women, Osla, Mab, and Beth from their involvement with code breaking to a major royal wedding.

As my first Quinn novel, I fell in love with the strength, passion, and fearlessness these women showed. Learning about code breaking and other roles held during the war was beyond fascinating. Even the romantic relationships showed so much depth and rawness. We’re also met with the horrible, heart breaking realities that come with war and my heart broke especially for Mab! Nothing was easy, but everyone still prevailed even when love and friendship were being tested. AND THE ENDING WAS AMAZING!!! (Loved seeing everyone come together!) I HIGHLY recommend!!

(4.5/5)

Thank you NetGalley and Harper Audio for my arc!
Relationships built among the secrets of Bletchley Park are needed to save one of their own and root out a spy amongst the group.
Can Kate Quinn even possibly write something awful? This is a masterpiece. Loved it. I didn’t particularly care for the audiobook, but the book is an easy 5 stars from me.
This book was fantastic.  I will say that in the beginning I was a little bit confused.  I just had a hard time with all of the jumping around in characters and time.  However, once that was all settled in my mind, I loved it.  I wouldn't say there are major twists, but there were a few times where I was definitely taken by surprise.  Kate Quinn is an incredible author.
Loved this book! Kate Quinn is the master of the historical fiction WW2 story and this book was no exception! I loved the multi-perspective chapters and how she manages to weave all three of the characters together by the end of the book. Will continue to read and love everything she writes!  I love that all of her stories have strong female protagonists, and loved the spy aspect of the storyline.
DNF at 60%

It really breaks my heart to DNF a Kate Quinn book.
The Alice Network was one of my favorite reads. So exciting and adventurous, it held my attention through the whole book.
The Huntress was interesting. Well researched, but not the excitement that her debut novel had.

The Rose Code just fell completely flat for me. The story moved at such a slow pace that it did not hold my attention. I had zero connection to any of the characters, except maybe the dog.
Impeccably researched and deeply immersive, The Rose Code by Kate Quinn is a book I could confidently recommend to almost any reader. It's a brilliant combination of history, romance, mystery, character study and suspense. The first half of the book is a slower burn of character development and a deep dive into Bletchley Park, a place I'd never heard about until reading this book. The second half finds more action with pieces of the puzzle coming together, literally and figuratively. The dual timeline is well-done and the way the two converge at the end is masterful. I caught myself literally holding my breath for the last hour of the audio.

The audio version of this book was excellent. The narrator, Saskia Maarleveld, does an incredible job of articulating different characters so it's easy to follow the story and keep the characters clear. She is as far from monotone as you can get in an audiobook, which I definitely appreciate. There were times I wished I'd had a physical copy in front of me to refer back to certain parts or see the formatting of various chapters, but I didn't think listening on audio took anything at all away from my appreciation of the book.