Cover Image: Cracking Up

Cracking Up

Wood writes a book that America is likely ready to devour. Comedy is unifying and Black women described herein are powerful conveyors of emerging perspectives of truth told on a slant. I had not realized the historical depth of this subject until coming upon this book.
Amazing. Well written and exposed. I didn't know what to expect starting this book, but it was amazing, in the retelling of history and explaining the roles in society and culture.
Cracking Up is the introduction and history of Black feminist comics that I have been looking for! The book examines the history and space for Black women comedians in culture.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was excellent in its history and education of how identities play roles in culture. I loved learning more about Moms Mabely and Wanda Sykes.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I'm not going to thank anyone, because it would just sound rude.
I thought I'd love this. I was wrong.
I love comedy. That's it. Put it in any category you want. Funny is funny.
This wasn't.
NetGalley ARC Educator 550974

Well written expose on BIPOC female comedians. It gives glimpse of Wanda Sykes, Amanda Seales, Whoopi and a full analysis of Mom's life and comedy. You will learn about the challenges women of color face in a male driven world and they way they confront the isms of life. In some ways it reads like a dissertation., in others, like a recounting of an awesome night at the theater.
Thanks to NetGalley, University of Iowa Press and Katelyn Hale Wood for an ARC of this engaging book in exchange for an honest book review.
I didn’t, know what to expect when I started reading this book but I was intrigued by the description. I recalled seeing Moms Mabley on television when I was young and remember that she was not only funny but different than what I was accustomed to. Not because she was black but because she was a woman and one that was not glamorous. Her frumpy hat, house dress, deep voiced delivery. toothless smile and picture perfect storytelling was infectious. Katelyn Hale Wood brings “Moms” and other talented comedians such as Wanda Sykes, Phoebe Robinson and Mo’Nique (to name a few) to center stage as she explores the world of Black women’s history. The Black feminist brings a combination of intellect, culture, activism and queerness to their performance. Theirs is a story of survival in  this white male dominated entertainment sector. It is a story of strength, determination and one that it told with tenderness and moving content.
These wonderfully talented women are champions as is Katelyn Hale Wood for telling a well deserved and ‘needed to be told’ chapter.