Cover Image: Shh… It's Our Secret

Shh… It's Our Secret

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. I unfortunately did not finish at 40%. I felt like the writing was very redundant and that I didn't really see the plot moving fast enough for me to truly be invested in the characters and the romance. In addition, All of the characters were truly unlikable for me. This may work for some people but just not me. Because of these points, I have to give it a 2 out of 5 stars.
I finished this book in one sitting. It was such a cute book. The writing, characters, setting, everything was perfect.
From the very first chapter I could tell that I was going to like this book. This was my first Lizzie Chantree book and I loved her writing sooo much. Can't wait to read more.
I had been waiting for this book for ages and was absolutely thrilled when I saw it on my Kindle! This is the story of Violet, who we meet as a very broken, very bullied shell who is nervous about life and not trusting of her own abilities. From the start I was a little mesmerised from the narrative voice, the fact that the story is told a certain way made it more wistful and beautiful for me and really made me savour it. This is very much a rock star romance and I loved the tale of violet trying to figure out where her heart was in so many ways. The musical aspect so the whole performance and money aspect is done really well and added to all the tension and drama. All in all one that those who love their romances will devour. Thanks so much to the publishers for the book in return for an honest review.
Downtrodden waitress Violet runs her boyfriend's failing cafe and loves  her regulars like family. When Kai wanders into the cafe, searching for  some peace and quiet, he discovers that Violet has a secret that could  change her life - and he's the perfect person to help her. As Kai begins  to fall for Violet, he finds that his help could make Violet's dreams  come true - or ruin her life.

Violet  is an absolute sweetheart who deserves far more than her no-good  boyfriend and recently-dumped sister give her credit. I liked how Kai  gave her confidence to stand up to her boyfriend and can totally  sympathise with her desire for the quiet life. I also like that she  managed to befriend (or at least see a more sympathetic side) most of  the women who she initially sees as rivals or enemies, though this is  partially undone by her insistence on describing her ex-brother-in-law's  new partner as 'horse-face' and blaming her for the breakdown of her  sister's marriage.

I'm less keen on  Kai, who seems like a generally good guy who can't keen his hands off  Violet but won't actually talk to her or define their relationship  because he recognises that she's recently out of a bad relationship,  leaving her with mixed signals. There's a whole thing about his  'friends' constantly turning up at his house, which leads me to think  that he's very bad at boundaries. He's lucky his poor communication  didn't backfire worse than it did.

While there is no sex on the page - it fades to black - the language used makes it clear what is going on so it sometimes feels like scenes end abruptly on the way to intimacy. The plot also got overly complicated, with at least one love triangle, profit sharing with a confidentiality clause and growing sisterly tension. Overall I didn't mind this book but I think a good edit could've done it a world of good.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from NetGalley; all opinions are my own
2.5 ⭐️

This story was not for me. I didn't connect at any point with the characters.
Violet was too weak character for me, with very low self-esteem, while her ex-boyfriend Liam has a lot to do with this, she is still a puppet for everyone, even Kai is controlling of her life and when she tries to make her own decisions they are not too smart.
I never felt the connection between Violet and Kai, or the other couples in this story.
In conclusion this read was not for me, but this is my opinion and I always say everyone should read what they like and form their own opinion.
I was really looking forward to reading this book after absolutely loving the description. But the result was not what I was expecting, and I was disappointed. As much as I loved the characters, and the overall story, I wasn't able to relate or connect at all. There was a lot of telling, and not a lot of dialogue throughout the book. I wanted to be able to imagine everything happening but couldn't when the next sentence had already moved on to the next thing.

Overall, this story has a lot of potential and I think it could be really great. The characters and story caught my eye and I just wanted so much more than what there was. But it needs to show instead of tell, and let the characters do more interacting.
A great unexpected read. Friendships are at the heart of this book, the storyline is refreshing and I do love it when the main character can stand  up for herself. A must read.
Another author I love having on my reading list as I know I'm going to enjoy her writing!

Violet's life isn't wrapped in luxury; in fact, it's about as far removed as it is possible to be. Working in a run-down cafe bar, the regulars are like family to her and they watch out for each other. But Violet has a secret, soon discovered by Kai who takes to visiting the coffee shop early each morning - when he stumbles upon the secret she hides so well. With a stressful job, Kai has moved to a nearby home to find some rest and relaxation but, as a music producer, the songwriters and musicians have followed him there - hence his down time with Violet's coffee each morning. With Violet's self-confidence at an all time low, can Kai help restore that and support her to be all he thinks he knows she can be?

This is a truly tempting story, and a very different one. With a lot of details about the music business, I imagine the author did a fair bit of research into this one which has paid off as it is delightfully entertaining. Filled with an array of characters from all walks of life, Lizzie Chantree knows how to sweep her readers off their feet and keep them focused until the very last. Circumstances have allowed Violet to get downtrodden and circumstances again lift her up. I thought it was pretty obvious where the story was going, but there are lots of twists and turns before the end, making it all very interesting and keeping the reader on their toes. A nice, bright read full of optimism made this one I'm happy to recommend and give 4.5*.

My thanks to the publisher for my copy via NetGalley; this is - as always - my honest, original and unbiased review.
I never like to retell the story when I write a review, because the author always does it so much better – I always try not to stray beyond the “blurb”, but you’ll notice that this one is particularly enigmatic and doesn’t give many clues about the story that’s about to unfold. I guess that’s the thing about secrets – and the importance of keeping them is rather central to this lovely, very different and well-told story.

The story develops from that pivotal moment when Kai, a big name in the music industry, walks into the neglected and run down café bar that Violet runs, desperate for a coffee and an escape from the demands of his busy life. Violet’s life has hit a bit of a low too – the bar is owned by her feckless boyfriend, who fails to appreciate that she’s the only one keeping the business going. I really liked Violet from first encounter – although the book does start with an intriguing glimpse of the present day, and how things have changed – with her edge of sadness after the loss of her parents, her strong friendships, her closeness to her sister and her young family. And the bar itself is a daytime refuge for the lonely – a lovely group of real characters who Violet has taken to her heart.

And now I have the dilemma of whether to share Violet’s secret – and I won’t, but I will say that Kai’s involvement in the music industry is fairly central to the story. But this is a story full of secrets, and the importance of keeping them – always a challenge, and beautifully handled, with quite a few surprises along the way. But it’s also a story about belief and courage, about taking chances in life and trusting others, about following your dreams, all wrapped up in a really original story that kept me entirely hooked as it unfolded.

The settings are excellent – the café bar itself as it undergoes some major changes, and then there’s Kai’s palatial home with some great insights into the lifestyles of the rich and famous. There’s a satisfying romance too, and a strong focus on families and friendship. It’s a story that hinges on the strength of its characters: it’s told mainly from the viewpoints of both Violet and Kai, and that takes you nicely inside their thoughts and feelings, but the supporting cast is strong too. I particularly liked the collection of misfits who frequent the café, and who support Violet as much as she’s always supported them – with a special mention for Esme and Doris, sharing their slice of cake and acting as a bit of a Greek chorus, with loudly voiced opinions on Violet’s life and just about everything else. And that supporting cast is very much part of the story – their lives change along with the fortunes of Violet and the café, and in a way that’s particularly heartwarming and uplifting.

Other than the opening chapter, the way the story is told is linear – and if I have a small criticism, I think I might have liked to see a little more variation, maybe to experience some scenes from Violet’s early life that so shaped her, rather than the “telling” that sometimes engages a little less.

But I did really enjoy the author’s writing – she’s a good storyteller, and this was a book that engaged me throughout, an easy read but with real originality and plenty of emotional depth. Something a bit different, and I enjoyed it – I’ll look forward to reading more from Lizzie Chantree.
Oh, Lizzie!! You have done it again! I had such a lump in my throat by the end of the book it was unreal. I knew to expect something like that when I read this book as it is the way but I had to grab a glass of water this time!! This is such a lovely story of love, loss ad growth. Violet, crippling shy and completely downtrodden thanks to her idiot ex-boyfriend Liam. He took everything from her, he broke her. Then Kai, a meeting by chance, changes everything she knows and holds on to dearly.

I love stories where things can happen to people. A bit like Sliding Doors, the what-ifs, and this is a HUGE what if. If Kai had not been in the café that day when Violet was singing who knows where she would be now.

The supporting cast are a delight! I loved Esme and Doris, Cole, Danny and Trina, plus Violet’s best friends. All played a part in her journey. All testing her and supporting her in different ways. The proper little family. There a whole host of characters who will stay with you and can I have them as my friends?

I found this was a book I wanted to keep reading, even though it was way past my bedtime one night I still wanted to stay up and read it. I was sucked into the world Lizzie had created and I didn’t want to leave. I loved the café/bar of Shh…it’s our Secret and would love for it to be a real place. It sounds like a lovely welcoming and special place, plus I love live music! Family is definitely who you make it and it is something I have always thought, this book just reconfirms that for me!

I always snap up any book that Lizzie’s writes, I know I am behind but I have them on my bookshelf shouting to be read. To me, she is a magical storyteller who allows me some time to get sucked into a happy place for a few hours and enjoy the words in front of me.
Loved it. A delightful story about friends, the music business, the coffee cafe' business and so much more. A sweet romance. Interesting character growth. Thanks to the publisher for providing a copy via NetGalley.
This is a light, easy read, but probably aimed to a younger age range than mine,
It's a pity because the blurb was really promising, but I couldn't connect with it.
I would say it could be recommended for readers in their 20s.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was a DNF for me. I was bummed because the little blurb had me really excited but the writing style just didn't work for me. The author did a lot of telling without showing so it was hard to get attached and get into it.
Thank you to Netgalley for this book in exchange for an honest review!!

My rating: ★★★

Good plot, interesting characters, loved how Violet slowly came out of her shell and found her inner strength, also, finding her voice as well.

Overall a fun, enjoyable read.
I absolutely loved this book. I am not the fastest reader but I raced through to the end in 2 days.

The main character Violet is a bit down trodden and lacks in self confidence, but that all changes when life kicks her when she is already down one too many times.

She has amazing regulars at the place she works who she loves like family.

You have hunky men, great strong friendships that are tested, music, laughter, sadness, steamy kisses, heartache and betrayal.

What more can you want from a romance novel?

Loved it and fully recommend it. I loved Lizzies writing style.
I love books about communities.
I love books that feature music.
I love books that follow a character who discovers their own inner strength.
So I absolutely loved this gorgeous book!

Brimming with fascinating, lively characters and an interesting venue, I soon found myself willing Violet on with her life after her difficult years with her ex boyfriend and the terrible loss of her parents in her teens. I adored how she looked after her regular customers, and in return was loved by them all. It’s true to say that friends are the family that you choose for yourself ❤️
Kai was brilliant for seeing how special Violet was, not only her vocal ability but as an important part of the community. It was fabulous how he considered her needs and wishes, especially as Violet struggled before with relationships.
A positive and uplifting story that definitely made my heart sing 😊
A slow start to a good book.

This is a book about family loyalty, secret talent, insecurity and the need to learn how to get past old transgressions.

Violet works at a run down bar in serious need of help - a real influx of money is the answer.

And how to find that money drives this in a few directions.

Violet works through family obligations, professional relationships and coming to terms with following dreams.
I didn't like it. The romances was lacking chemistry and it wasn't believable at all. I didn't connect with the characters.
Violet has a secret that she's determined to keep, but when Kai walks into the cafe where she works and into her life, finding out the secret, Violet is frantically trying to convince him to keep it for her, lest her life, and the lives of those she loves, be ruined forever.