Cover Image: Hooky

Hooky

I loved this story and the characters a lot. I loved Dorian, Dani, Nico, Mark and Master Pendragon. I found Princess Monica a bit annoying but she was really great also. I hope there is another book for them cause that would be amazing.
I'm always happy when an online comic makes it to print. Many of my library kids only have computer access here at the library, so print comics and graphic novels are the way to reach them best (also, they're here to do homework and play Minecraft and Roblox; reading comics online isn't always on their radar). Hooky is a compiled comic from WEBTOON, and follows twin siblings Dani and Dorian, who've missed the bus to magic school (no Whomping Willow here) and don't know the way there. Looks like they're going to miss that first year of school - and wow, will their parents be upset! They decide to search for a mentor, which leads to a score of amusing situations; cleaning up the Huntsman to "steal Snow White's heart" by making her fall in love with him is just the tip of the iceberg. But there's trouble ahead, and the twins need to find a way to clear their names and heal their kingdom when more complicated challenges arise.

Illustrated in manga style, this is going to be big with my middle graders and middle schoolers. They're manga fans, and finding graphic novels incorporating manga artwork is a great way to get them to stretch their reading interests and introduce them to new titles. Plus, it's fantasy, with some similar tropes, like magic twins, magic school, and bringing unity to a divided society; all familiar fantasy scenarios that readers will feel comfortable setting down with. The artwork has some truly outstanding moments, like Dorian standing atop books as he works in his aunt's library; the relationship between the siblings is relatable as it moves from affectionate to teasing to bickering and back again. This release of Hooky includes additional content you won't find on the WebToon page, making it even more attractive to readers. Give this one a look.
This was a delight to read for a second time I first read it on some webcomic site and it was just as sweet and comical as I remember
Hooky was a delightful story full of magic and hijinks, starting with two twin witches missing the bus for their magical boarding school. Determined not to let their parents find out, Dani and Dorian decide to set off on their own and find a tutor. Just as quickly as they discover new friends, spells, and adventures, so too do they get embroiled in the brewing war in their kingdom and the prophecy that will embolden the witches to rise up and take over.

This adorable story started out on Webtoon, so the pacing didn't translate perfectly, but I still really enjoyed this book. As I mentioned in my note, I believe the physical copy being produced only contains the first half of the story, so I only have that bit to judge off of. The tone seamlessly shifts as the twin's vignettes and magical mishaps give way to their struggles with magic and their identities, budding love, and the fracturing faultlines of their broken kingdom. I loved the art style, which was amazingly versatile! It was perfect for a fun, adventurous start but gave way perfectly to the darker ending. I can't wait to get to the last half of the story and see where the characters' journeys end!

❧ 3.75 ★
Hooky by Míriam Bonastre Tur is a graphic novel, based on a webcomic originally found on the WEBTOON platform. Hooky is in print format for the first time with exclusive new content.

Twin siblings Dani and Dorian who have missed the bus to magic school and scramble to find a mentor to teach them before their parents find out. They never thought they'd wind up declared traitors to their own kind! Now, thanks to a series of mishaps, they are being chased by powerful magic families seeking the prophesied King of Witches and royals searching for missing princes. But they aren't alone. With a local troublemaker, a princess, and a teacher who can see the future on their side, they might just be able to clear their names, but can they heal their torn kingdom?

Hooky is the start of a graphic novel series full of magic, suspense, and complex characters. I had not read the Webtoon version, so the whole story was a surprise for me. I liked getting to know the characters and their increasingly complicated friendships and connections. The dynamic between the witches and non magical people is not unexpected, and the intrigue and politics of it all feels very realistic, and the unfairness of it all seems on point with human nature- even when we wish is was not so common. I thought the story moved quickly in some moments, and a little slower in others, but it flowed nicely. I thought the art was well done and does a great job of capturing the mood of the story, and the details of the character's emotions and intent. As a who;e I was fully engaged in the read and enjoyed it. My only complaint is a common one, that the book ended with a solid set up for many possibilities but very little in wrap up or conclusion. I know there is more coming, but I need some more satisfaction at the end of a volume to make me really happy. That being said, I am still very interested in continuing on with this series.

Hooky is a great start to a series, and I think middle grade and older readers will enjoy it.
ARC Copy...one of the longer graphic novels I have read but I did love the friendship and togetherness amongst all the younger cast in opposition to a portion of the adults being not so trust worthy.
Genre: Middle Grade/Young Adult/Graphic Novel/Fantasy
Rating: 4/5

Thank you to NetGalley, Clarion Books, and Miriam Bonastre Tur for the opportunity to read Hooky in exchange for an honest review.

This is a very cute book drawn in fantastic illustrations, all-color, and featuring a wonderful cast of characters. Despite the happy frivolity of the story, there is a darker side to this witchy tale, and it's something we see often...

Dani and Dorian are 12-year-old twin witches living in a world where witches are seen as evildoers. Dani and Dorian are the kindest, sweetest children, according to a princess who left her castle to find her fiancé, Will, who was supposedly taken captive by evil witches. That just can't be right, can it?

Along with Nico, a local troublemaker, and the occasional help from a local restaurant worker, Mark, Dani and Dorian practice their magic, though often get into tough spots if they become too trusting of regular, non-witch people.

Unbeknownst to the twins, their current mentor has potentially dreadful plans for the children, all because of a prophesy that may or may not be accurate. The next witch king is said to be one of these children, though they do have an older brother...but he doesn't quite fit the prophesied description.

This graphic novel was much longer than expected (almost 400 pages), and also had some thematic elements and plot devices that are geared more toward a teen audience. Although the protagonists are almost thirteen, this is still a middle grade work. I enjoyed the artwork and its cute simplicity, a wonderful range of characters, and the full-color experience. This is a great graphic novel I would recommend for lovers of magic fantasies such as Kiki's Delivery Service or Harry Potter. A joy of a read.
Looking for witchcore vibes? This is your graphic novel. It seems fun and lighthearted on the outside, but deep within is a dark adventure-filled story filled with morally grey characters and excellent world building.
I loved our main cast of characters, they each have their own flaws and talents and all come from different backgrounds. I loved seeing the crew together in this twisty story, and I can’t wait to continue onto the next book. I have no idea how it’s going to end, like this one, I’m sure it’ll keep me on the edge of my seat. This graphic novel really delved into - what really is good and evil? I loved that aspect and could never guess what was going to happen next.
Since there’s a lot of main characters, I loved how the text bubbles were all colour coordinated so you could easily tell which character was speaking. It made this read more accessible and easier to follow.
This is a perfect Halloween read, so make sure to pre-order yourself a copy and settle in for an un-put-down-able read!
The art was super cute and I loved the witch vibes crossed with the fun little fairytale callbacks.

I feel like the story was a bit dragged out, especially for middle grade, but it was fun.
This was a comic book for younger readers written and illustrated by talented Spanish artist Tur. It's rooted in a 'webcomic' from 'webtoon' with which I am not familiar, but which seems to have been a success.

This version evidently has new material, but without knowing the original I can't speak to that. While I thought the artwork was bright, colorful, and well done, for me the story failed to live up to the illustrations. It was choppy and made no sense, and while I realize that I am not the intended audience, and that a less critical audience might well go for this, I can only review it from my own perspective and for me it failed for a variety of reasons. I will say that one wonderful thing about it is that this story did not have JK Rowling's sexist distinction that boys were glorious wizards, but girls were 'only' witches with all the negative baggage that appellation entails. No, these guys were both witches!

I have a problem with magic stories where the actual magic takes a back seat and the story ends up being just a regular story with a patina of magic dusted over it for flair, and that's what seems to have happened here. There were so many places where magic would have been useful, but obviously if you're in a world where you can 'magic' anything, you really need to work on the story to make it entertaining. It's a fine line the author walks between going full throttle magical, which risks making everything too easy for the protagonists, and being a magical miser, which to me makes the magical elements worthless by failing to use them when they make logical sense.

The author seems to attempt to get around this by having these kids be so poorly-educated (magically speaking) that they swing right into that 'magical miser' territory and for me this spoils the story. It seems to me that the kids ought to have had at least a basic grounding in magic from their parents or from their elementary magic school, but none of this is even discussed, much less explored, so there's this huge plot hole whereby the kids are rank amateurs, but we're offered no reason why.

The story here is that witch twins Dani and Dorian miss the school bus that would deliver them to their magical academy. Instead of telling their parents of this, or taking out their brooms and flying, they give up completely and end up wandering aimlessly around, quite lost as to what to do. Through a series of accidental events they end up with an advanced professor of magic, and somehow irresponsibly fail to tell their parents of their change of plans.

The story deteriorates after this as they fall in with a random group of misfits - a princess and a trouble-maker - and just have a chaotic series of adventures seemingly unconnected to anything. Meanwhile we're getting hints of a magical conspiracy, but that seems like a separate and entirely unconnected story. I was pretty much lost by this time because I had no clear idea of what the author was trying to do, or where this story was going, if anywhere. It just seemed to meander at the author's fleeting whim without having a purpose or a plan, and I DNF'd it because it was not entertaining me at all. I was looking for a coherent story, and there wasn't one to be had here. It felt more like a disconnected series of Sunday newspaper cartoons, which is what, I'm guessing, the web series was. So while I loved the art, I can't commend it based on the story - or lack thereof.
First of all, a big big thank you for allowing me to read this one! I have been eyeing this one for a while now! But sadly, I DNF this one around 60 pages in. I really like the idea of magic twins, magic, and more. But the story was just very choppy and at times I missed the connection between one and another part. I also didn't really get a grip on the twins, while they are the main characters I just feel like I miss a ton of information about them. Why is Dorian good at magic but Dani isn't. Why can she fly and he just sucks at it. Why is there just one bus to school? What is up with the world does everyone hate witches or just a few people? Then we suddenly go to a princess who lost her prince. Along the way the parents never show up of the twins.
I will give it 2 stars because there were elements I liked, like the art and the magic.
And maybe I will try it again when this one gets to a library near me (probably in Dutch).
'Hooky' hooked (haha) me right from the start. The illustrations are pretty and i'ts helpful, that the speech bubbles are illustrated in different colours correlating with the characters. The cast of characters is great, but coud be more diverse. The friendships, we are exploring in this volume, are well done, as are the character developments. The only thing I have to criticise is, that the comic sometimes loses track of the overarching plotline, but we mostly come back to it pretty quickly.
'Hooky' is funny, very enjoyable and quite quick to read. I desperately want to continue and I hope the rest of the comic will get translated as well.
A magical adventure filled with humor and heart! Dani and Dorian are a delight to read in this fast-paced journey of danger and discovery.
Hooky is cute, fun and full of adventure.  A great classic story for anyone who loves magic stories.  Hooky will make you wish you could jump right into the pages and run off on an adventure too.
I love Webtoon comics, I remember Hooky when it was still being published as new (which was probably 3 phones ago), but it's one of those series I saw and never read.
Something I always thought back on, I feel incredibly lucky to be granted access to an ARC of (what I'm assuming) is Book 1 of the series.
However, I was not expecting it to be almost 400 pages long and only about a third (or less) of the series. I feel SO FAR BEHIND.

That said, it was a really great story. There are moments were it lulled, but by the last 100 pages I was hooked and had to know what was going to happen. I desperately need and want more. (I've already used my free reads on WT for the day trying to find where the series matches up.)

The world of Hooky definitely builds in strength and the story goes. This is a very in depth world and tale that address' many different people, from different walks of life, and how they grow behind the roles set for them by others and even themselves. Sometimes guided by fear, but more often courage and love for one another.
It is a lot, but it's a great read.

**Thank you to Clarion Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.**
First of all... can we have a round of applause for the art? This whole thing is truly a masterpiece from start to finish. It starts out pretty cute and seemingly innocent and then hits you with such a wild ride. From start to finish this was so exciting and so fun. This is perfect for all potter heads because it takes something that feels so familiar and really takes off from there. The adventures... the characters.... the plot... the relationships.... all in my eyes made for a truly perfect story. I think Miriam is brilliant and what I wouldn't give for more ASAP!!
Hooky’s strengths definitely lie in its worldbuilding, character development and compelling story. In fact, I’d argue that it’s almost flawlessly executed. I only have two concerns. First of all, it gets pretty dark at times so I’m not sure about the suggested age range. (For context, there’s a fair amount of death, violence and discussion of the persecution of witches.) Also, this is fairly long. Going in, I expected a relatively short read of similar length to other graphic novels that I’d read before but this was actually pretty lengthy… and then it ends on a cliff-hanger which was a bit of a disappointment.

But with that said, I do appreciate Hooky for being more of a slow burn. Any loss of content would have impacted the strength of this fantastic story so it’s definitely worth overlooking the length. I’m really looking forward to seeing how Hooky progresses after that explosive ending and hope that we don’t have to wait too long for a second instalment.

In terms of the artwork itself, the colour palettes used were wonderful. Lots of magical pastels to contrast with the use of black to symbolise the darker elements of the storytelling.

Overall, a fantastic and magical graphic novel that I couldn’t help but fall in love with. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a fun, whimsical witchy story with darker undertones.
It's hard to say what my favorite part was. I loved that all of the characters spoke in different colored bubbles, making it really easy to follow and ideal for newer readers of graphic novels. The character development was great, everyone had their own strengths and weaknesses and character arc, not just the two main characters but also their friends. The story was fast paced and exciting, there was never a lull. The artwork was beautiful. I could see this appealing to boys and girls in a wide age range and I intend to purchase a copy for my niece and nephew! My only complaint is that the second installment isn't out yet so we don't know how the story ends!
Hooky is a cute and charming comic, and I appreciate how well it's been adapt from webtoon to page format. Lettering is sometimes cramped, but that didn't impede my reading experience too much. The magic of the original webtoon has carried over to paper, and it's exciting to know that both readers who are familiar with the original webtoon and new to the story will be able to enjoy it.
This was excellent - funny, fast-paced, with fun characters and an interesting story, and I'm so mad it ended on a cliffhanger!