Cover Image: The Brittanys

The Brittanys

Thanks to NetGalley for my copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

In this coming-of-age novel, we follow the lives of 5 friends (all named Brittany) as they enter puberty.  Their thoughts are filled with boys, first kisses, menstrual cycles, sex and drugs.

As I read this book I couldn’t help but think of my own daughter, currently 8. To be honest, I was horrified to think that at the age of 15 she will have to deal with what these girls struggled with. Maybe I led a sheltered life or maybe my high school days are just that far in the past, but my teenage years were not like this. Sure we talked about boys and periods and bras, but sex, drinking and drugs were not included. Not at 14 and 15 anyway. Lol

With all that being said, it held my interest. In a lot of ways it reminded me of the movie The Sandlot, only with girls. The narration the author uses to update the reader of where these characters are today is spoken in such a way that I could hear  “At some point in your childhood, you and your friends went outside to play together for the last time and nobody knew it”
Angst, heartbreak, friendship, sex, and drugs--The Brittanys puts the reader into the mindset of a teenage girl living a privileged life in Florida with her best friends, all named Brittany.

We follow these characters and their interactions as they experience their antics and drama, going to parties, meeting boys, dying their hair, and dealing with siblings.  It’s a wild ride told by one of the Brittany’s as she relives being fifteen.

Not just a YA novel, the reader becomes fifteen again, laughing, crying, and cringing with the protagonist as she experiences friendship, dating, parties, and tight relationships among girlfriends.  The reader is immersed in these teenagers’ lives and how they change throughout the book with their experiences.  I especially liked the main character’s reflections and future revelations of characters and how they turned out as adults.  It’s a great summer read, and I thank NetGalley for allowing me to review it. #The Brittanys #NetGalley #teenreads #YA
So, this book is alluring. It has a beautiful cover and what caught my eye was a book titled The Brittanys written by Brittany Ackerman. The synopsis confirmed that it was about teen-age girls in high school, as I expected, but that's really where the similarities ended. So, this book is mainly told from the perspective of one Brittany out of the five. And I was expecting something along the lines of Gossip Girl, but really the combination of the writing style and narrative made me feel more like I was in a The Clique series novel (which takes place in middle school). And for such young, immature sounding voices, they sure thought about boys, sex and drugs a lot. And I'm not that far removed from high school that I don't remember the experience. I admit, I thought about boys A LOT. But maybe not to the extent that these girls do... and definitely not drugs. I guess I was hoping to feel nostalgic while reading this novel and instead I was left feeling happy that high school and my teenage years were behind me.

I think this is a book best suited for high school age students. Maybe ones who are a little more rock and roll than I was when I was in school, and can relate to what's going on in the book.

Thank you to the publisher Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group and Netgalley for providing me a digital arc in exchange for an honest review.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.
In terms of readability this book was great, but I just didn't care about the characters.  Maybe if I weren't so far removed from my high school days?  I think the author did a great job of capturing the fears and emotions that come along with  being in high school.  The friend drama, the boy/girl drama, etc. And even though the characters were affluent I didn't feel like that overshadowed the overall story presented.  So I would say that if the book piques you interest then pick it up and read it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to tell people they have to pick it up.
Oh man. #newadult #knopfdoubledaypublishinggroup #thebrittanys #brittanyackerman I finished this one last night and had to sleep with my thoughts. This will be a book you love or hate. I don’t think there is a middle ground. Imagine your fifteen again. Worried about boys. Fashion. Periods. Popularity. First kiss. That’s what we have with this group of girls. Two of them are very best friends. We have the main character who narrates to us things that happen in her daily life and her POV on the different Brittanys. What I did like and wish we maybe had explored more was we get a glimpse - like #wherearetheynow and while it was neat to see what happened to someone I was left feeling somewhat incomplete. I’m still unsure of my feelings 🙈 however. It did make me think. And. Take me back. To being fifteen. #neveragain #highschool #bookstagram #readersofinstagram #netgalley #bookreview #readingtime #netgalleyreviewer
Dramatic, coming of age, YA version of women's fiction that revolves around a group of friends who share the same name.  Some throwback high school Heathers vibes. Well written though unevenly paced, this story will appeal to its intended demographic.
I received an advanced reader’s copy in exchange for an honest review

This may not be for everyone but I loved it. Perfectly sums up what it’s like to be a girl in the world. The privilege blindness does great at certain points but to be fair the author does address it and we have to be mindful that they are only 14. Took me back 30 years when I was these girls, albeit in a much less swanky ZIP Code. Gets everything right
"Parties are happening everywhere. Girls are fighting, getting their hearts broken, and doing all the things they're not supposed to do."

Brittany Ackerman is my spirit animal and I felt this story in my bones. As I was reading, my Kindle kept warning me that it was going to die. And it did, right after I highlighted the last sentence in the author’s note. Fate.

This the story of the Brittanys--but it is especially the story of Jensen and the unnamed narrator--and their navigation through freshman year. This story spoke to my soul and brought back so many feelings, so many memories and I highlighted line after line after line.

Do you remember your fifteen year old self? Do you remember how hard it was but also how exciting? Around every corner was the chance to go on an adventure, to grow up, to have fun and get into trouble. The Brittanys captured all of that perfectly and it felt like a love letter to my teenage self. The writing was beautiful and magical and reminded me of how very hard (and wonderful) it is to be fifteen.
I tried. I really, really tried. I wanted to love this book. The concept of it, a group of friends all with the same name, brought out some serious Heathers nostalgia. Unfortunately, I DNF at 15%. Although, I'm a fan of YA, I recognize that this book is geared to a demographic much younger than my own. I couldn't connect with whichever Brittany narrated the story. I couldn't tell the Brittanys apart. I couldn't get into the book enough to even figure out the point or the plot.
Thank you to NetGalley and Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group for this genuinely appreciated ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I dont know how to put into words how i feel about this book.. 1st off i thought it was going to be a angst teenage book about a group of 5 Brittanys and high-school.

Really its about 1 sometimes 2 of the Brittanys and the one ones here just there sometimes they aren't really a group.

But they are freshman and the only thing the narrator can think about is boys. Sex, kissing, boys,periods, weed, boys, weed...  I think you see the pattern. Like nothing happen I really wanted to enjoy this book but I really didn't care for it. I was going to DNF it but since it was a arc I didn't want to but I just didn't care for it especially each chapter was a differbt boy. I just don't remember freshman year or high-school to be like this.

I would of loved to see the click of The Brittanys.  But sadly for me this was a miss.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for a arc of my honest opinion.
The Brittanys brought me back to highschool and I both loved and hated it at the same time. Filled with all of the drama, hormones, and coming of age challenges one faces as a teen, The Brittanys gives a good look at this group of girls, how they see themselves, and how the world sees them.

4/5 Stars

Thank you to NetGalley and Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group for providing me with an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is a coming of age story of a group of girls from West Florida who were bonded in elementary school by sharing the same name. This book explores so much of the drama, sex and relationships, evolutions of friendships and falling out of them from high.

I feel like I was looking in a mirror  throughout this book. I made so many of these mistakes and did these silly things to get boys to like me or look at me.
I admit it took me well into my 20s to stop.

I felt like this was me growing up in Napa having my group but trying to fit in everywhere and trying everything. Omg I even had someone walk up to me and call me a whore. I did not know he was dating her! High school is rough add in raging hormones, peer pressure, drugs, sex, oh ya I guess homework, it gets way harder.

Honestly I think high school is a social test that is designed to torture or turn you into a narcissist. Just a thesis I have been working on.

My in-laws live in Boynton Beach and when we visit we travel all around so I can envision these mini mansions and all these places described not to mention all the references to the brands from the 2000s.

This is a definitely nostalgic blast back to the early 2000s.

Thank you vintageanchorbooks and net galley for the e-ARC for my honest and voluntary review.

Rating : ⭐⭐⭐💫
When I first heard about The Brittanys during a Reading Group Guide Book Speed Dating Event, it reminded me of my own little group of friends in high school, except we didn't all have the same name.

But that's the premise of Brittany Ackerman's first novel: a group of girls who are cool but not that popular at a Florida prep school and they all have the same name. The story is told through the eyes of only one of the Brittanys, and covers the whole gamut of teenage girlhood: boys, friendship drama, learning to drive a car, meeting parental expectations, boys, navigating the social hierarchy of high school, and boys.

What I Liked About this Book
At certain times, the main character's older self pops in and gives a more mature assessment of events or more details about what happened to another character after high school. I found that interesting, and I actually thought it might be leading up to something, like readers meeting the main character in the present and maybe something from her high school years has caught up with her. But that wasn't the case.

I highlighted certain passages in the book because there were times when I found myself nodding along with what the main character or another character was saying. My high school timeline doesn't exactly match up with the timeline of the Brittanys (I think I was already in college when this story is taking place, based on pop culture references), but some things about being a teenage girl will always be true.

What I Didn't Like
So even though the book's premise reminded me of my own friends (birthday balloons at school, thinking Jude Law is hot), the nitty-gritty of the book was NOT my teenage experience at all. Perhaps one day I'll just have to write that story.

I always have a hard time reading about teen girls who only want to impress boys with their looks and who slut-shame other girls while the boys get a pass. I'm sure my friends and I did the same thing because we didn't know better, but I sure hope that today's teen girls are being taught by their strong-ass moms to know better.

I also expected the story to be a little bit more or do a little bit more. If reading about the everyday shenanigans of a teenage girl sounds obnoxious, then you don't want to read this book.

The Brittanys is published by Vintage and comes out tomorrow, June 15, 2021. I received an e-ARC in exchange for a review.
This book had all the nostalgia of early high school; a time when chasing boys, outfits and your identity was integral to your entire being. I enjoyed the fact that though the reader stayed in the same space for a little longer than we needed to, it almost reminded me even more of how during those early years your life is cyclical and revolves around the aforementioned topics.
I would say it felt redundant at times and it could've helped to have a more pointed plot and a clear  end point.
The only thing I can say about this one is "cringe". I'm not really sure what the point of it was, but it brought back memories of my own teen years that I did not need. I probably shouldn't have finished it but I got suckered in by the title.
This book is called #TheBrittanys written by a Brittany.
If you remember the days of tanning while listening to a cd and flipping over to your stomach half way through, or wore Cucumber Melon this book is for you, (and by you I mean me! It was me he wore Cucumber Melon and sunbathed to Red Hot Chilli Peppers)
Reminiscent of Judy Blume, 2000’s style, this book follows 5 Brittanys as they come of age. Tiffany Chokers, Jansport backpacks, and boxers as shorts had me feeling major nostalgia.
If that doesn’t do it for you how about this quote, “We thought life was always going to be matching juicy sweat suits and trips to the malls”
A total fun trip down memory lane with all the feels of being a teenager.
Thank you #NetGalley and #Vintageanchorbooks
DNF @ 30%. I have a bunch of issues, the first being how young this reads. Despite the sex and drugs the characters feel like tweens. But the biggest problem is the monotone of the narrator. Despite the angst and drama there was no voice. It just felt bland and underwhelming.
I think I’m too old for this book....? I love a teen angst drama coming-of-age book but this was a big miss for me. I didn’t connect with any of the characters - none were interesting or nuanced enough for me to want to get to know them
more. It was expected and “simple”. That said - it reads quickly and perhaps a younger demographic would and could relate more to
the characters? Thanks to Vintage Publishing for the advanced copy. I’m grateful.
I did not enjoy this. The characters were all younger than I prefer to read about. They were annoying.  There wasn't much plot. It didn't hold my interest at all. It's not bad but it's not for me in the slightest.
This was a DNF for me. I didn't care for the writing style and couldn't keep track of the plot. It sounded like a great premise and I was looking forward to it.
Just wasn't for me.
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to read and review this title. All opinions and mistakes are my own.