Cover Image: Impostor Syndrome

Impostor Syndrome

This book was a fast and fun read!  Julia is a Russian woman who was recruited as a "spy" when she was a child.  She is sent to Silicon Valley and slowly moves her way up the ladder at a google-like company until she is second in command and she starts questioning her assignments as they threaten her lifestyle.  Meanwhile, a low-level tech worker, Alice, discovers Julia's questionable activity and tries to figure out what to do.  I enjoyed the book - I found it more about women in the workplace than a heart racing spy thriller.
Meh...This was not my cup of tea. I think mostly because I thought it was going to be totally different than it actually was. The other reason is that although it was a tale of espionage, I didn't find it very exciting. Imposter Syndrome implies a psychological disorder where you are never good enough despite your success. I guess I could see that here, but it didn't follow through to the connection for me. I think I finished it because Netgalley gave me an ARC and Libro.fm gave me an ALC, so of course, I had to. I thought the characters needed more depth. I hate to rant on and on, but I think I just don't like this author's writing style. I wasn't a huge fan of The Family Trust either. The writing is not riveting, so I don't understand how it's described as a thriller. None of it had me on edge. That said the premise is interesting. A young Russian spy named Julia in transplanted into American Technology startup. You see many power struggles along the way. Then you have Alice Lu, the Chinese American girl who as she gets closer to Julia, gets closer to finding her true colors, especially since Russian continuously asks more and more of Julia.

Thank you so much to #netgalley #harperandmorrow #librofm #kathywang for this advanced readers/listening copy for an honest review.
This book was a great social commentary with a fun cat and mouse drama! Would recommend to anyone who wants a fast paced and socially aware read!
This was an interesting book. I started it thinking it was going to be a thriller (that's how it's labeled), but was disappointed when I finally came to the end and didn't feel like I got any of that "thriller action" I was looking for. The story moved along at a good pace, switching narration to a few characters, so that kept things interesting, but overall I did not think it very "thrilling". I would recommend the book to anyone who enjoys intrigue, however.
Thank you to William Morrow, Custom House and Netgalley for letting me read this book early. Imposter Syndrome hits shelves May 25.

In this story you will find Russian spies, minority perspectives, social constructs and Silicon Valley tech all mixed up into a spy story. This one is completely character driven, so much so that I began to hate all of the characters. This was presented as a thriller but I have to say it is not. It was creepy because this story did feel incredibly real and maybe that also turned me off. This one is great but it just wasn’t for me.

This book features mostly Julia, Alice and Leo’s stories all told in swapped chapters as they navigate this cat and mouse game of who can outsmart who and I think I would have enjoyed it more if it was told from one perspective for an easier flow. Everyone’s story is unique and kind of astonishing, Wang’s prose is great and her humor was my favorite part. If you’re into well developed characters and eerie stories that cut you to your core, this is your book!
Was my book missing pages?

This is a book that I have no clue how to review.

Is it a thriller? Is it a mystery? Is it satire? Is it another #metoo book?

I'm not even sure of the ending. Did Julia actually commit treason against America? If she switched sides-how is she and her family still alive. Did I miss a whole plotline--chapter---what did I miss?

I guess I'm going to have to re-read this before I give a 'real' review. *sigh*

It kept me reading, but only because I wanted to see the consequences...apparently there are none. *shrug*
This book had my fingers tingling to turn the pages from start to finish. I loved the alternating perspectives of both major and minor characters, giving us their thoughts and exposing their neuroses as the plot propelled toward inevitable doom (this isn't a spoiler -- it's a spy novel). This would be a great read if you're looking for a mental escape into a mystery/thriller but not something with violence or gore.
This book was not at all what I expected! It was a unique mix of Russian espionage, Silicon Valley tech, gender roles, and comedy! I had a bit of trouble following the different POVs at time, but overall an enjoyable read. This made me think of so many other spy books and movies I've read and seen. I think it would make a great TV show or movie!
I read this one in two days, and it definitely got me out of my post-vacation reading slump. The Impostor Syndrome gives an in-depth and captivating look at the CA tech industry and the Russian spy network.  Julia grew up in an orphanage in Russia, but now she is COO of Tangerine, the fictional Facebook-like social media giant.  She is living the American dream: her Instagram-perfect life is marred only by her husband's infidelity and the spying she is still obligated to do for her Russian handlers.  Alice, the daughter of Chinese immigrants, works at Tangerine in the tech department, and she inadvertently stumbles upon Julia's spying while doing a routine scan of the network.  The rest of the book is full of tension, and I couldn't stop reading until I learned Alice and Julia's fates. I definitely plan to re-read this one in order to savor the writing, which is so darn good.  Kathy Wang has a way of writing biting satire that goes down easily, but it's the expert character development that makes this one a must-read!  Many thanks to Netgalley and William Morrow/Custom House for the library preview.
An interesting satirical spy novel! A fun, gripping, quick read.

Thank you NetGalley and William Morrow and Custom House for the digital ARC in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.
I really enjoyed this book -- the plot of the book, the multiple POVs, and the pacing. It's difficult to characterize where this book "fits" -- it's not a thriller, but it involves spies; it comments on current society in Silicon Valley but isn't too trendy. I always like when something isn't the same song-and-dance of current literature, and I think this book qualifies. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the way Wang weaved the immigrant experience and the ways of America into the book. The only thing I didn't love was it felt like she jumped onto the trope train -- I especially saw this in Julia's sections when she tears other women down and talks about her views of the C-suite. That felt like an easy way out. Overall, though, I was engaged throughout the entire book and didn't feel like it was obvious how the book would end, two things I always appreciate.
@bykathywang
 has pulled off an INCREDIBLE novel - BEST beach read/ thriller. Russian espionage, race/ queerness/ gender in Silicon Valley, feminist dilemmas, comedy, satire, Asian-Am cultural history. It's SO GOOD. Thank you!! #ImposterSyndrome (reading galley now)...June '21
This writer knows what she's about. I'm riveted. *AT LEAST* as good as season finale of #homeland which I watched after boycotting all the preceding because Islamophobia. But that Russian ending!! so real.
I couldn't put this book down. It has a "ripped from the headlines" premise, focusing on Russian interference in social media, plus a fantastic look at women and their roles in tech/Silicon Valley. Julia, Alice, and Leo were all characters to root for, and just prickly enough to make them believable.
I'll be recommending this book to everyone this summer.
This is a unique and interesting book with a great sense of pacing. It's an original take on Silicone Valley, and a fun twist on spy stories. I can see it easily being turned into a movie or TV show. I did find some of the shifting between character POVs to be confusing, and sometimes lost sense of the plot, particularly in the middle. Even so, I still enjoyed this book and found it very entertaining. I do recommend it to anyone interested in the plot!
Wow what a thriller!!!  This is a great story with a plot that is captivating.  I was literally on the edge of my seat until the last page.  This book is a winner.