Cover Image: The Monsters of Rookhaven

The Monsters of Rookhaven

Who cares what Mirabelle is?  Or how Jem and Tom got to Rookhaven?  This is a great, fun book that references The Addams Family (or The Munsters) but gives a slightly more behind-the-scenes look at life in That House.  And just what <i>is</i> Piglet (I had my suspicions, but it's never clarified).  There probably won't be more, but I would gladly read it.

eARC provided by publisher via Netgalley.
Look, this is a really well written book but it was just too creepy for me! I have no doubt it will enjoy widespread fame and even end up on some award short lists, but it was just not my thing.
Middle grade Gothic Fairytale? Yes, Yes, YES. This novel was so fun to read, if only because the middle graders need more horror and spooky reads. I did not expect the illustrations to provide so much extra ambiance. This is a perfect blend of Gothic and fun.

Mirabelle and her Family are all monsters and must be kept veiled from the humans who live in their midst, until one day two children wander into Rookhaven and then the question of what makes a monster is brought to the forefront. I loved this book and will be handing it to as many readers as I can!
A complex story for the age group, about a monstrous but loving family and its dealings with the outside world. The "monsters" are in a way a reflection of the town in which they are hidden—the townspeople see their own fears in the family living in Rookhaven, but also their own humanity. A diabolical enemy working to stoke bad feeling in the town, for its own nefarious purposes, adds excitement to the tale. The ending is wrapped up a little too neatly and sweetly, but it's a very good story.
Super unique concept! Loved all the weird "talents" and traits of the characters. However, felt there may have been too many characters and struggled to keep them straight. Overall has Miss Peregrine meets Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends vibes.
Just a lovely book with a wonderful premise! It was a a wonderful read, and good for any child who loves fantasy with just a drop of "horror" from the monsters. The combination of Padraig Kenny's writing and Edward Bettison's beautiful illustrations created such a dreamy atmosphere in a well-written universe.
The Monsters of Rookhaven hits the sweet spot on a couple of highly desirable but "hard-to-achieve" areas children's literature. I am always looking for a book that stretches a child's vocabulary but also provides enough context to prevent frustration.  Another area this book excels in is the descriptive language, particularly the wide range of sensory words and concepts.  I think this book will be a good addition to the library and one I would recommend to children who are fans of magical realism or fantasy.
No one who meets the "monsters"--especially the one that lives alone in the basement--will be unchanged. The monsters of Rookhaven are fantastic creatures, both feared and fearful, who live in a mansion within a magical barrier. Their unusual appearance and remarkable abilities set them apart from humanity and bind them to each other as Family. When two orphans on the run, Jem and Tom, stumble across the barrier, events are set in motion that brings mortal danger to the door. Can trust and friendship grow where only memories of fear and hate exist? Evocative of folklore and myth, punctuated with exciting black and white illustrations, Padraig Kenny's story of two worlds colliding will have young readers eagerly turning pages.