Cover Image: To Tell You the Truth

To Tell You the Truth

This was a wild ride of a book, telling the story of  a writer who had experienced a horrible tragedy in her past and is now a suspect in her husband’s murder. A wonderful whodunit by the talented Gilly Macmillan.
3.5 rounded up!

Thank you author, publisher and netgalley for the DRC in exchange for an honest review.

This was an easy suspenseful read. I was hooked throughout. I love stories with an unreliable narrator and this one took it to a whole new level. I felt for Lucy and was rooting for her. My only issue is with the ending which I felt was rushed.

Overall, a good read and I would recommend it.
My thanks to NetGalley and Random House for a copy of “To Tell The Truth” for an honest review.

I have enjoyed other books by Gilly MacMillan but .on  the whole I found this a disappointing read
It started well, but as the story developed it became a little confusing , it didn’t help that the characters were all so unlikable ,and I just hoped that the ending would save the book .Unfortunately it didn’t have a satisfactory  finish , and left many loose ends unanswered.
Overall an average read
This was a competent thriller, that I mostly enjoyed. But I had a few problems with it.
Like other readers, Lucy annoyed me greatly. I can't stand characters that don't stand up for themselves and are basically a doormat to the people around them, and Lucy did this in spades. Her anxiety about her situation did shine through, but other less important actions made me want to shake her, and I struggle to feel bad for them, or really root for them if they let things happen without objection.
This definitely overshadowed my enjoyment, but it was a good story and I would still recommend it to readers that aren't put off by issues I have described.
Not yet finished so this is only a wee update,

So far I'm loving this book, look out for my review on Goodreads

#ToTellYouTheTruth #GillyMcMillian
"The door of the den is open wider than you left it. You go in. The lamp is still on, and everything is as you would expect it to be except that the little nest on the floor where you left Teddy is empty. Your body shakes. You take the lamp outside and search for him, ignoring the tearing thorns and scalding nettle stings, but he is nowhere to be found. It's as if the night has swallowed him up whole. The next thing you know, you are running home through the woods and praying that Teddy will be there and Eliza's voice is on a loop in your ears, saying, 'Don't tell them about the den. Don't tell them you left him alone.' And you didn't tell."

In this suspense novel, the narrator is Lucy Harper, a bestselling thriller writer. What people don’t know about her is that her main character, Eliza, is based on an imaginary friend she’s had since childhood. But Lucy wants to escape Eliza and kills off the character in her next novel, much to the horror of her publishers and the imaginary Eliza. But Lucy wants freedom from Eliza, because she reminds Lucy of her past.

When Lucy was nine-years-old, her little brother Teddy disappeared in the nearby woods. Lucy was the last to see him. But when police question her she holds back some information, because Eliza tells her to. Teddy’s never found.

Then, to her horror, Lucy’s husband, Dan, buys her a house on the same street where she lived when the tragedy happened. And he is also acting strangely. Then, he too goes missing. Could it be linked to Teddy’s disappearance more than 30 years prior? Is Lucy misremembering things?

Lucy is a bit of an unreliable narrator, partly because she listens to Eliza too much. But that makes the book all the more intriguing and disquieting as the reader tries to figure out what’s the truth and what are the lies.
Firstly a big thank you to the publishers for my copy to review on netgalley. I have enjoyed this authors previous books.

Cleverly written and compelling ,this is a great read.

The words weave a mystery to be solved with twists and turns aplenty.

Tense and thrilling and completely unpredictable .

Published 25th June in hardback
This was a reasonably good psychological thriller. The author creates a sense of unease and confusion which I absorbed during my reading. Who to believe. who is trustworthy, what really happened to Lucy's little brother and how is that impacting the present?
A good read
Plenty of secrets within this family
It will definitely have you hooked
A book you will not put down.
Thanks NetGalley
This was a great read!

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book after reading the reviews but I ended up enjoying it a lot (probably because I had lower expectations).

The main character is not someone you can relate to but it was interesting to learn her backstory. I understand why a lot of people didn't enjoy the ending but to me it was OK (and perhaps realistic).

I'd say this story is about the main character's psyche and how she deals with it and her past, more than a "cold case" type of story.

Overall a nice read!!

goodreads.com/booksireadandliked
Disclosure: I would like to thank the publisher for my advanced reader copy of the book. This is my honest review
I loved this book from the first page !! The story seemed original and the plot was very original !! The story had me hooked and kept me up way past my bedtime . I highly recommend this book !!
I would firstly like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

With the truth and fiction blurred, I honestly had no idea to believe! This read certainly kept me constantly guessing and questioning everyone. It may of been quickly established that Lucy was an unreliable narrator, but she was so incredibly well-written, that I couldn't help but like her. Eliza may be a questionable bad influence, but I strangely enjoyed her presence in the story, while Lucy's husband, Dan, was an easy character to dislike, meaning that I struggled to massively care about his disappearance.
The story, as a whole, was dark, unnerving, and heartpoundingly intense, and while the ending wasn't completely satisfying, I still very much enjoyed this read!
To Tell You the Truth is the fourth stand-alone novel by British author, Gilly Macmillan. Married to Dan, Lucy Harper - author of the highly successful DS Eliza Grey books - has just completed the fifth book in this series. Surely a cause for celebration? While Lucy has been absorbed in her writing and immersed in the life of DS Grey, Dan, a failed writer, has been busy with plans of his own. He's bought a house near Lucy's childhood neighbourhood. But Lucy isn't happy as she has a few secrets closeted away, where she would rather they remain...

Gilly Macmillan writes a tense, multilayered and complex character-driven story of concealment, tainted memories and duplicity, where everyone has secrets and where no one can be taken at face value. The author particularly excels in the characters she creates, of their depth and in the way she develops them. Lucy is the ultimate unreliable narrator as she has her secrets and shares her thoughts with her imaginary friend, Eliza, who also happens to be the protagonist of her novels. This is an exciting and emotionally intense, bold read and the reader is bombarded with shock surprises and twists, all of which leaves me eagerly awaiting Gilly Macmillan's next novel.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel at my request from Random House UK, Cornerstone/ Arrow via NetGalley and this review is my unbiased opinion.
To Tell You The Truth is a psychological thriller written by Gilly Macmillan. I have read most of Gilly Macmillan’s work and I enjoy the twisted nature of her books.

Lucy Harper is a best selling author that has had major success in her industry. She lives a lavish lifestyle and overall has a great life. All is well until her husband Dan mysteriously goes missing and his disappearance evokes dark memories that take her back to her childhood and mainly to the day that her brother went missing.

Lucy’s past and present intertwine as her neighbours begin to place her as the main suspect into Dan’s disappearance. Too many coincidences happen to Lucy and things begin to look like she is not only guilty in Dan’s disappearance but her brother’s as well. Is Lucy telling the truth and saying she had nothing to do with either of the disappearances or will the detectives find holes in her stories and ultimately arrest her for both disappearances. Read this one to find out!

Overall I give this book # # #. I liked it but didn’t love it. I usually really like Macmillan’s work but I wasn’t satisfied with the ending and found the story a little confusing. The ending was a little disappointing and not believable. I would say this was an easy read that was slow to start but the ending was quite fast paced.
I enjoyed this book, but it was not as good as her previous novels. I felt that the ending let the book down a bit but still all in all an enjoyable read. Thank you NetGalley for my review copy.
Rating ⭐️⭐️

This was Ok!  I think the book had great potential but there were some elements that didn’t work for me. I’m a huge fan of the author but this one didn’t work for me that much
In this novel we meet that main character Lucy, she is an author and a successful one at that. She is married to Dan and he mysteriously disappears. There are many questions asked during this novel, as to where and why Dan has gone? We also get to learn of Lucy's past, her brother, Teddy went missing also and there is an element of mystery surrounding this part of the novel also.

I enjoyed very much reading this book, it is written from the present day and Lucy is looking for answers and we also learn about Teddy and his disappearance. Lucy is quite an unreliable character and narrator but an interesting one. This is my first by Gilly Macmillan and I will be looking at reading some more of her books.

I do not want to give too much details away but this is a fabulous read if you enjoy a really good written mystery/thriller.

Thanks to Gilly Macmillan, NetGalley and the publishers for an advanced copy of this book.
Secrets, lies, truth. All jumbled up together in one big heap in this novel.
To Tell You the Truth, is an unsettling story of an unresolved past, and a devious present. A fast paced read that will leave you wondering what the truth really is.
I was so looking forward to reading this book, unfortunately I was left really disappointed.

The story seemed to drag on forever without anything really happening and I found the main character, Lucy quite irritating.

There were no real twists but it did keep my attention till the very end hoping for some conclusion to what happened to Lucy's little brother... which never came. Sorry to say, this book just didn't do it for me.
. The book starts with a childhood trauma, where Lucy 'Harper's little brother Teddy went missing, and the repercussions of that night have been felt ever since. She is now a multi million selling crime fiction author, whose main character, Eliza Grey, is all too real and a presence in Lucy's life; its hard to know where one starts and the other ends sometimes.

The book explores the mystery of what happened to Teddy, and what part Lucy or Eliza might have played in the incident. It includes a delightfully awful husband Dan who is Lucy's dissatisfied assistant and a host of unlikeable neighbours who all have their part to play in the story.

I enjoyed reading it, the story took a twist or two that I wasn't expecting, and overall, an entertaining read.