Cover Image: Out of the Rain

Out of the Rain

A haunting and chilling tale. This author always paints the tragedy so hauntingly the reader feels what the character is feeling. This author never disappoints.
I got this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.This is book 2 of the 2 book Umbrella Series.I am a V.C. Andrews fan from WAY back  when Flowers In The Attic came out when I was in the 5th grade.Even though the books are now being wrote by a ghostwriter they still do not disappoint.This bok had some pretty interesting twists.
A VC Andrews book?  Need anyone say anything?  I have been reading VC Andrews for years, And this book did not disapoint! I loved it
#Out Of The Rain is by # V. C. Andrews. Following the events of #The Umbrella Lady what a fun story. Family and love is all Saffron wants. She's in for a surprise....
#Netgalley, #V.C. Andrews,and  # Gallery Books 💜🐾🐾
I gave this book a sadly, 2 star rating.

While the plot itself felt like the old VC Andrew’s, this one just lacked interesting characters and the thrilling Gothic of the originals. I am sad to say that I won’t pick up new ones under the same pen name.
V.C. Andrew's books are always never what you expect. The secrets and lies are so abnormal that you could never ever think it up before it is revealed to you. This is the 2nd book in the Umbrella series and it was an interesting read.
Out of the Rain is the first book I have read by V.C. Andrews in about 30 years and I quickly remembered why I used to devour her series as a teen. I learned at the end that the books published under the author's name are now written by another author commissioned by the family of V.C. Andrews. Sometimes that just doesn't work, but in this case the same "feel" of the author is still there. Just like I remembered from the author's early books, there is a constant sense of creepy crawlies and sense of dread while the story unfolds. There are plenty of the trademark dysfunctional family situations. I had not read the first book in this series, The Umbrella Lady, but it didn't effect my enjoyment of this book at all. The ending leads one to believe that there will be a third book in the series, which I will definitely want to read!
This book was just okay. I’ve only read the second book in this series and have a feeling the series as a whole would tell a much more complete story.

Would likely be a good series for teens!
2nd in the Umbrella series this is a sinister story of a family filled with lies and deceit. I hope the ending means there will be a 3rd. Very good.
Many thanks to Gallery Books and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
New to me author but definitely won't be last. Thoroughly enjoyed this story. Thanks Netgalley and to the publisher for letting me read this advance copy.
I have been reading V.C. Andrews books since the first one published when I was 13 years old. I have read ALL of them. Some better than others as in this case, the first book in the series was better than this one. Do I wish it was the original author publishing them? Yes, of course but since a ghost writer has taken over for her books his writing style is similar but I do notice differences. I do believe you either read V.C. Andrews books or you don't it's like a following.
After reading this book I have unanswered questions which I am hoping will be answered in the next book, I do not like cliffhangers. This book is about a family trying to survive life with everything filled with lies which just lead to more lies. I think we will see more of the grandfather in the next book, he seems like the only reasonable one in the bunch.

Pub Date 01 Dec 2021
I was given a complimentary copy of this book.
All opinions expressed are my own.
This is a Fiction. This took me awhile to get into this story, but I found it interesting once I was pulled in. I did find this book had no closer at the end, and I felt the story went no where. I found that this book had no point. I wanting it to go somewhere and solve some of the suspense that was built up through out this book. I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher (Gallery Books) or author (V. C. Andrews) via NetGalley, so I can give an honest review about how I feel about this book. I want to send a big Thank you to them for that.
I enjoyed this book by V.C. Andrews. A story about loss of a family member, finding one who was lost, and deciding if the latter was worth it? I look forward to reading more books by this author!!! Read and enjoy!!!
It has been a long time since I read a VC Andrews book. There were times when I didn't understand what was happening in the story, but then I realized this book is the second in the series and I hadn't read book 1! So, that was no fault of the book! I liked the story and will go back to read book 1.
I really enjoyed this story from the very beginning it peaked my interest. Saffron's family life was lacking in so many ways but she was so young she didn't understand. At least not until her mother died in the fire. When she finds her father things don't go exactly as she hoped but she's with him. When she discovered her mother's watch I didn't expect the story to end story to end after she confronts Ava's father. I hope this isn't the end of the series.
#2 in the Umbrella series and my review is the same as book 1
I read all V. C. Andrews books (even though they are ghost written now) and have to say this is the first one in a long time that completely held my interest. A very quick easy read with a slow build but not to slow to have you lose interest. I look forward to the next in this series.
Thank you to Netgalley, Gallery books and the Author V.C. Andrews for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Since reading THE UMBRELLA LADY earlier this year, I've looked forward to continuing on with Saffron's story. Now 14, she leaves her grandmother's house and makes her way to the father who she hasn't seen since he abandoned her at the train station five years earlier. When she shows up at his doorstep, she quickly learns that he has a whole other family - and even a daughter her age.

In order to keep his wife in the dark, Saffron must pose as his niece. Because of her upbringing by her very proper grandmother, Saffron hardly speaks like a young teen. Though the details of the teenagers' lives here still feel dated and anachronistic (Karen mentions being on a conference call from the landline in her room...), I must admit that I was still hooked from start to finish. The ending leaves you wondering and I am curious to know if this will be the last we see of her. I enjoyed both books in this series. It's a sort of nostalgic read - which I suppose makes the details that don't add up just right, not as glaring as they would be coming from a different author.
This is book 2 of the Umbrella series and it picks up where book 1 left off. Saffron has left her grandmothers home after she passed away and heads to find her father, Derick. Derick had abandoned Saffron many years ago and Mazy took her in. Upon Mazy’s death, saffron finds letters from her father that give her an idea of where to find Derrick so she decides to go to him and get him to take her in, as she has no where else to go. When she gets there, he agrees to take her in on the condition that she claim him as her uncle and not her father, as his father has built his new life and family upon a house of cards. Saffron finds life stressful living with all the lies but doesn’t know how she can do anything else. Once she meets her new grandfather figure, she gets some ideas of what she needs to do.
While some books in a series can be read as a stand-alone, I don’t really think that can be said of this one. You really need the background of the characters that is laid out in th first one. And the ending of this one leaves me thinking that there will be a third book to come.
Thanks to Gallery Books and Netgalley for this Arc in exchange for my review.
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this one, because I think I have basically had it with Andrews' ghost writer at this point, but I decided to do it anyway. And I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't the best thing I've ever read, but it also wasn't as bad as the books he tried to revive the Dollanganger series with. I probably should have read the first one, but these books are usually pretty easy to understand without reading the previous one, so I didn't. And I don't feel like I missed out on much. The story kept me interested, but I felt like a lot of it was far fetched. There's no way in this day and age someone could get away with calling his daughter his niece. It just seemed sort of ... extra. All in all it was a quick easy read, but nowhere near the OG VC.
Out of the Rain picks up where The Umbrella Lady left off. Saffron Anders now known as Saffron Dazy has left the confines of her grandmother’s home in search of her father, Derick Anders. Derick abandoned Saffron at a train station many years before, leaving Saffron frightened and confused.

Years have passed and now at a crossroads due to Saffron’s grandmother’s death, Saffron uncovers correspondence that point to her father’s new place of residence.

After arriving at Derick Anders’ splendid home, Saffron discovers that Derick has remarried and now has two children with his new wife. Shocked at the surprise visit by his daughter, Derick concocts a plan to conceal Saffron’s true identity, thus securing his position in a financially secure family. A family rich beyond his dreams.

Being that Out of the Rain is the sequeal to The Umbrella Lady, it cannot be read as a stand alone. To get the feel and flavor of the story, one must read The Umbrella Lady to understand the background of Saffron and Derick Anders. In Out of the Rain, readers are introduced to several new characters so a fundamental knowledge of the prior characters is essential for the enjoyment of the story. Personalities, and motives are revealed in the sequel which really add to the intrigue.

The plot is a little convoluted as Derick’s intentions, though honorable, is laced with selfish and self-centered motives. The reader will wonder whether Derick’s means justify the ends.

Out of the Rain is a spine tingling novel that will give new meaning to the word sinister. Four stars — only because of the open ended finale which begs the question of whether there will be another installment, or if readers are to draw their own conclusions.

I received a digital ARC from Gallery Books through NetGalley. The review herein is completely my own and contains my honest thoughts and opinions.