Cover Image: Embrace of the Wild

Embrace of the Wild

A fictionalised biography of Isabella Lucy Bird, 19th century who turned explorer  extraordinaire in her 40s after overcoming serious illness. This book covers just her travels in Hawaii and then Colorado. The descriptions are vivid as are those of the characters she meets but I prefer the original letters written by Isabella to her sister Henrietta for the Colorado story. 'Embrace of the Wild' gets too personal which just doesn't work for me - an affair or not with Jim seems so out of character. I've not read the original works about the Hawaiian travels but am guessing that they might be more of the same. Nonetheless a good introduction to a redoubtable lady traveller and the trials and tribulations she met and overcame at a time when women generally were not independent travellers. Thanks to NetGalley and Wind Dancer Press for an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
What a wonderful read! Reading this book was like taking a vacation and never having to leave home. I loved reading about the places she visited and the adventures she had. Loved it!! Thank you Wind Dancer Press via NetGalley for the complimentary copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own.
An interesting look into the life of Isabella Bird and her travels despite adversity. There was so much description in this book that it really set the scene but also caused my mind to wander a little and made it difficult to follow the story. Overall, I enjoyed the stories but felt a little bogged down.

I received a copy from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

#EmbraceoftheWild #NetGalley
Meticulously researched fictionalized biography of an amazing woman. Ms. Bird (1831-1904) wrote 38 books in her own time detailing her travels and more, but here there is an accounting of her personal trials and tribulations as a child (including spinal surgery WITHOUT ANESTHESIA) and how the rigors of travel actually helped reduce her physical pain (especially when she chucked her corsets!). It is written as if by the woman herself and is wonderful. I've already purchased a copy.
I requested and received a free temporary ebook copy from Wind Dancer Press via NetGalley. Thank you!
A very descriptive vivid account of one woman’s desire to travel and see the world. I love the cover of this book.
 This book was easy to read and allows you to see the countryside through her eyes. I enjoyed the book.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the early copy